Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Obd1 engine harness in an Obd2a civic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 04:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obd1 engine harness in an Obd2a civic?

I have searched through 12 pages and have not found an answer to my question.......How difficult is it to run an obd1 engine wiring harness on a 98 civic?......the reason i am asking is because i am having wiring issues and would love to just run the obd1 harness and be done with it.......any modifications that need to be done to the harness(besides the dizzy wiring) that may cause headaches?......thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Obd1 engine harness in an Obd2a civic? (purple98ek)

you cannot use ANY obd1 harness at all the only engine harness you can use is 96-98 period
Old 11-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im selling my OBD2 Civic EX harness if you are interested
Old 11-01-2007, 05:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Obd1 engine harness in an Obd2a civic? (USDMCIVICHATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMCIVICHATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you cannot use ANY obd1 harness at all the only engine harness you can use is 96-98 period</TD></TR></TABLE>
why couldnt i use an obd1 harness? i believe it has been done before and required a good amount of rewiring.....so, i dont think it is impossible
Old 11-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

um.... because the 92-95 Civic 94-01 Integra have the harness plug up at the shock towers and the 96-98 and 99-00 Civics engine harness goes straight to the ecu, what you are trying to do doesn't make any sense, just get a new 96-98 harness and a jumper and use a obd1 ecu
Old 11-01-2007, 08:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMCIVICHATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">um.... because the 92-95 Civic 94-01 Integra have the harness plug up at the shock towers and the 96-98 and 99-00 Civics engine harness goes straight to the ecu, what you are trying to do doesn't make any sense, just get a new 96-98 harness and a jumper and use a obd1 ecu</TD></TR></TABLE> exatomundo obd1 harnesses are 2 piece and obd2 harnesses are 1 piece. Not worth to redo all that wiring.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMCIVICHATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">um.... because the 92-95 Civic 94-01 Integra have the harness plug up at the shock towers and the 96-98 and 99-00 Civics engine harness goes straight to the ecu, what you are trying to do doesn't make any sense, just get a new 96-98 harness and a jumper and use a obd1 ecu</TD></TR></TABLE>
I dont need a 96-98 harness, i already have one......and the obd1 harness does go to the ecu just like the 96-98, the only difference is the obd1 civic harness is a two piece and the 96-98 is a one piece......what doesnt make sense?.......have you swapped an obd1 harness into an obd2 car? if not, i don't really need your opinions on what i should do .......i am asking those that have used the obd1 harness in their 96-98 chassis's, all i want to know is what needs to be changed besides the distributor plugs......btw i have a jumper harness and they suck ***, they are cheap quality and i would rather run an oem harness to avoid future problems
Old 11-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by purple98ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
......and the obd1 harness does go to the ecu just like the 96-98</TD></TR></TABLE>

...........nope the other harness it plugs into doesn't go straight to the ecu anyway you won't get replies from people that have done this because it is the opposite of common sense............I never understand why some people that don't know what they are doing insist on using a harness other then what they should, use a 96-98 harness or sell your car
Old 11-01-2007, 10:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMCIVICHATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

...........nope the other harness it plugs into doesn't go straight to the ecu anyway you won't get replies from people that have done this because it is the opposite of common sense............I never understand why some people that don't know what they are doing insist on using a harness other then what they should, use a 96-98 harness or sell your car</TD></TR></TABLE>
how can you say i dont know what i am doing when you dont even know who i am or what i am capable of?........ noobs like you try to give people advice about **** but you dont know what you are talking about......this is why honda-tech gets a bad rep.....btw it is possible to use an obd1 harness on an obd2 car, its been done.....so maybe you should sell your car and then go fist yourself......../thread
Old 11-02-2007, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by purple98ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
how can you say i dont know what i am doing when you dont even know who i am or what i am capable of?........ noobs like you try to give people advice about **** but you dont know what you are talking about......this is why honda-tech gets a bad rep.....btw it is possible to use an obd1 harness on an obd2 car, its been done.....so maybe you should sell your car and then go fist yourself......../thread</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually it doesn't sound like you are capable of much since you are the noob who asked a retarded question. You have no idea what you're talking about and I tried to help you and stear you in the right direction (because I actually do swaps), why don't you go hang yourself with you're obd1 harness at least you can get some use out of it.......lmfao
Old 11-02-2007, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe you mistaken other ppl from converting their OBD2 to OBD1 using a conversion harness. Many would rather go OBD1 because the ECU is easier to chip and alot cheaper. Hey, maybe ppl have converted their OBD2 to OBD1. But its ALOT easier to stick with what you have and work from there. Is there a reason why you would like to convert to OBD1 in your OBD2?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMCIVICHATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually it doesn't sound like you are capable of much since you are the noob who asked a retarded question. You have no idea what you're talking about and I tried to help you and stear you in the right direction (because I actually do swaps), why don't you go hang yourself with you're obd1 harness at least you can get some use out of it.......lmfao</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, I am sure you do awesome engine swaps, you can't even spell correctly........i really value your advice, you are a true ASSet to h-t..........keep "stear" ing people in the right direction.....quit telling people that **** is impossible.....it is very possible to use an obd1 harness on an obd2 car, it has been done........i was asking how involved the rewiring process is, i wasnt asking for opinions from asshats like you on if i should do it or not........
owning a type R is like a dream, you wake up and its gone." and the "SI" stands for Stolen Indefinatly
nice sig, but your spelling is a bit off.......it is
indefinitely not indefinatly.......get hooked on phonics, come back in a few months when you can spell, and then we will talk some more
Old 11-02-2007, 08:46 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Obd1 engine harness in an Obd2a civic? (hmtcrxsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hmtcrxsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe you mistaken other ppl from converting their OBD2 to OBD1 using a conversion harness. Many would rather go OBD1 because the ECU is easier to chip and alot cheaper. Hey, maybe ppl have converted their OBD2 to OBD1. But its ALOT easier to stick with what you have and work from there. Is there a reason why you would like to convert to OBD1 in your OBD2? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am not mistaken.....i currently run a conversion harness on my car now and it isn't very good....i have had to repair it a handful of times due to broken pins and wires.....
Old 11-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by purple98ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have searched through 12 pages and have not found an answer to my question.......How difficult is it to run an obd1 engine wiring harness on a 98 civic?......the reason i am asking is because i am having wiring issues and would love to just run the obd1 harness and be done with it.......any modifications that need to be done to the harness(besides the dizzy wiring) that may cause headaches?......thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

you CANNOT period, unless you like wiring like me and are down for re-wiring the whole front end of the car

the reason is... obd 2 uses two connections on the pass side inside of the car one at the ecu and one that feeds up to the body harness and one small one on the left side of the engine bay

obd1 uses one harness on the motor.. which plugs into the body harness IN the engine bay on the right and one to the body harness on the left IN the engine bay.

now if you want to get custom and make your own harness, have at it but it will be neither of the two cause there is no hybridizing the two designs

ALTERNATIVE: use the obd2 harness like everyone else and switch plugs (if your using obd1 inj and alternator) and extend a couple others. solder everything and its fool proof. inside the car is the jumper which is the only other room for error... so why don't you just get a new one?? they are so cheap these days, or if your up to it make your own like i did and use epoxy over pins and its literally bulletproof

now maybe i mis understood your question and would be glad to help if i did
Old 11-02-2007, 10:58 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Obd1 engine harness in an Obd2a civic? (MonkeyMagic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MonkeyMagic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you CANNOT period, unless you like wiring like me and are down for re-wiring the whole front end of the car

the reason is... obd 2 uses two connections on the pass side inside of the car one at the ecu and one that feeds up to the body harness and one small one on the left side of the engine bay

obd1 uses one harness on the motor.. which plugs into the body harness IN the engine bay on the right and one to the body harness on the left IN the engine bay.

now if you want to get custom and make your own harness, have at it but it will be neither of the two cause there is no hybridizing the two designs

ALTERNATIVE: use the obd2 harness like everyone else and switch plugs (if your using obd1 inj and alternator) and extend a couple others. solder everything and its fool proof. inside the car is the jumper which is the only other room for error... so why don't you just get a new one?? they are so cheap these days, or if your up to it make your own like i did and use epoxy over pins and its literally bulletproof

now maybe i mis understood your question and would be glad to help if i did</TD></TR></TABLE>

finally a decent response to my question.........i know it isnt plug and play......but i think i am down to rewire the whole engine bay using an obd1 harness and my existing obd2 harness........i will be rewiring **** this weekend and i will see how it works out
Old 11-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are a retard cause you wanna rewire it to obd-1 and not do it the easy way. if you are capable then why ask the stupid question?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow I like how you ask a question, get the same, correct, answer from a few different people, and then proceed to insult them when they're trying to help you out by answering your question in the first place!!!

Bottom line:

There are far too many differences between an OBD1 engine harness and an OBD2a/b Civic harness to even be feasable to toss an OBD1 harness into a 96-00 Civic! I mean it *might* be possible with a TON of wiring, but if you cannot even fix your current issues as is then what makes you think you can basically create your own completely custom wiring harness?

I think your idea is ******* ridiculous. Where are you going to come up with plugs and all that extra wire needed to try and make a harness that ends at the shock towers reach all the way into the cabin of the car and end at the ECU?

There's a difference between being knowledgable, and making a job impossibly hard. The smartest way to fix a problem is by fixing it the smartest way, which in this case would be running another OBD2 harness and possibly adding the extra OBD2 sensors if you lack any, or if you're such a wiring guru genius why not make your own OBD1 jumper harness?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Former Moderator

By the way I just could not read this and not comment.

Yeah, I am sure you do awesome engine swaps, you can't even spell correctly........i really value your advice, you are a true ASSet to h-t..........keep "stear" ing people in the right direction.....quit telling people that **** is impossible.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you honestly think that spelling/grammar and mechanical work go hand in hand? The guy had a few typos - does that mean he knows less about swaps and wiring than you?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it is very possible to use an obd1 harness on an obd2 car, it has been done........i was asking how involved the rewiring process is, i wasnt asking for opinions from asshats like you on if i should do it or not........</TD></TR></TABLE>

Post a link where it has been done, or shut the fuuck up and get the fuuck out of here.

Also since you obviously know more than the rest of us why ask us inferior souls for help? I mean since you "know" it's possible why not ask the people you "know" that already did this?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">owning a type R is like a dream, you wake up and its gone." and the "SI" stands for Stolen Indefinatly
nice sig, but your spelling is a bit off.......it is
indefinitely not indefinatly.......get hooked on phonics, come back in a few months when you can spell, and then we will talk some more </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would much rather not know how to spell, or mistype words than be a complete ******* like you. You come in here with a ******* retarded idea, get advice, and then **** on the very people trying to help you.

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 3:34 PM 11/2/2007
Old 11-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

using obd1 harness on obd2 requires you to change something on the alternator as well. i forgot what it is though. it's possible but your gonna have to rewire a lot of things. why not just go pick up a 96 and up wiring harness. it would be easier. what is your motor anyways? obd1 or obd2.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Obd1 engine harness in an Obd2a civic? (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you are a retard cause you wanna rewire it to obd-1 and not do it the easy way. if you are capable then why ask the stupid question?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The easy way isn't always the right way.....i am capable, i was asking what diificulties people have run into when using an obd1 harness on an obd2 car.....<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow I like how you ask a question, get the same, correct, answer from a few different people, and then proceed to insult them when they're trying to help you out by answering your question in the first place!!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>
So, the correct answer is that it is impossible? Sorry, Mr. 14,000 posts, its not impossible just a pain in the ***......you of all people should know that......
Old 11-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Former Moderator

The easy way isn't always the right way.....i am capable, i was asking what diificulties people have run into when using an obd1 harness on an obd2 car.....
So, the correct answer is that it is impossible? Sorry, Mr. 14,000 posts, its not impossible just a pain in the ***......you of all people should know that......</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't bother typing up a single reply again until you can give us a link to where you've seen this done before.

You can't post bullshit like "I've seen it done before" and not post proof in pics or links to it being done before.

Again it is a ridiculous, stupid, ******* retarded idea - period.

I mean why don't you run a pre-OBD 1989 Acura Legend V6 engine harness instead? I mean with your "logic" and wiring magicianry it should be pretty easy.

I want to see the pictures of you doing this - seriously. I'd like to see I done, and running without any check engine lights. Sorry, but if it is even possible you won't be the one to do it.

...and why did you feel the need to point out my post count? I never once said "believe me, because I've got 14,000 posts!" or anything like that. Do you feel intimidated by my post count?

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 10:40 AM 11/5/2007
Old 11-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Obd1 engine harness in an Obd2a civic? (B18C5-EH2)

I mean why don't you run a pre-OBD 1989 Acura Legend V6 engine harness instead? I mean with your "logic" and wiring magicianry it should be pretty easy.

I want to see the pictures of you doing this - seriously. I'd like to see I done, and running without any check engine lights. Sorry, but if it is even possible you won't be the one to do it.

haha that's what I was thinking and I thought the people that try to use 99-00 harnesses on 96-98's and just won't understand that it won't work were bad, but it really all comes down to experience. Also people shouldn't ask questions if they aren't ready for the answer and just try to argue their misinformed point. Anyway purple98ek I bet I can work on Hondas better then you know how to "spell" What are you anyway an uptite English teacher
Old 11-05-2007, 06:56 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't bother typing up a single reply again until you can give us a link to where you've seen this done before.

You can't post bullshit like "I've seen it done before" and not post proof in pics or links to it being done before.

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 10:40 AM 11/5/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey guys, sorry i didn't reply sooner but i was away for a couple days.........i can post whatever i want, who died and made you god of honda-tech? ......I actually saw it on a guys car at a show in cleveland........but i was looking at wiring diagrams for a 98 civic and a 95 civic and you are halfway right.......i would have to do some serious rewiring between the obd1 and obd2 harnesses, so actually it would be a hybrid harness......so the correct answer is an obd1 harness will not work in an obd2 car without using the obd2 harness and doing some rewiring.......that is the correct answer that i did not get from anyone on this site.......
Old 11-05-2007, 07:13 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

haha that's what I was thinking and I thought the people that try to use 99-00 harnesses on 96-98's and just won't understand that it won't work were bad, but it really all comes down to experience. Also people shouldn't ask questions if they aren't ready for the answer and just try to argue their misinformed point. Anyway purple98ek I bet I can work on Hondas better then you know how to "spell" What are you anyway an uptite English teacher</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, i am an uptight science teacher ........and your answer was not correct, but that isn't the issue, the issue is your smart *** comments telling me i should sell my car......how can you work on hondas better than me?......that doesn't even make sense......
Old 11-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok agreed, you no longer have to sell your car I'll promise to work on my spelling if you work on relaxing a little and take peoples opinions for what they are worth. (by the way I quoted my sig from someone and I fixed the spelling ) Also B18C5-EH2 knows his **** like he was a Honda teacher, and he was doing swaps when a lot of us were still getting rides on the long yellow bus, not the short one like some people on Honda-tech

Quick Reply: Obd1 engine harness in an Obd2a civic?