Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OBD1 B16A into 98 Civic DX......Need some confirmation lol

Old 09-08-2007, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD1 B16A into 98 Civic DX......Need some confirmation lol

Well, Here is what we have going on here. Have an OBD1 B16a, with a P28, and OBD1 engine harness, and fuse box if needed.

Shell is a 98 Civic DX hatch. No ECU, fuse box is there, but no ECU plugs. No ECU, and no engine or engine harness.

If I am thinking correctly we can get an OBD2-a engine harness and switch the OBD1 injector plugs, distributor, alternator, and ECU plugs out, and then run an OBD2-OBD1 jumper harness........ I keep reading conflicting things when I search. Everyone seems to have a different opinion. Any input is appreciated.

Engine bay :

Engine:

Starting to sort out the OBD1 Harness:

Modified by black88si at 11:07 PM 9/8/2007
Old 09-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OBD1 B16A into 98 Civic DX......Need some confirmation lol (black88si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black88si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, Here is what we have going on here. Have an OBD1 B16a, with a P28, and OBD1 engine harness, and fuse box if needed.

Shell is a 98 Civic DX hatch. No ECU, fuse box is there, but no ECU plugs. No ECU, and no engine or engine harness.

If I am thinking correctly we can get an OBD2-a engine harness and switch the OBD1 injector plugs, distributor, alternator, and ECU plugs out, and then run an OBD2-OBD1 jumper harness........ I keep reading conflicting things when I search. Everyone seems to have a different opinion. Any input is appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If that P28 isn't chipped and running a B16 basemap it's gonna run your car like ****.

Run a P2T ECU with an OBD-IIa to OBD-IIb conversion harness or run an OBD-IIa to OBD-I conversion harness and run a chipped OBD-I ECU (such as that P28) or a P30 and it'll run fine.

You can get an OBD-I engine harness and everything 'cept the VTEC solenoid should plug right up.

EDIT:
I never swapped a harness before so I'm not 100% if that'll work, I'm too cheap for that, usually just cut and wire on new plug ends, but apparently the engine harnesses are interchangeable and you can just throw an OBD-I harness in there.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Re: OBD1 B16A into 98 Civic DX......Need some confirmation lol (Syndacate)

P28 isn't chipped yet, still have to finish a lot on the car before the engine is even ready to go in. It will be chipped though. We

have the OBD1 harness already, Just want to get the harness problems sorted out first so that I can start making the tuck harness. If we have to solder any plugs, or change any plugs out it would be way easier to do it now.

Edit: Other option is run the OBD1 engine harness, get a chipped P72 and then OBD2-OBD1 conversion harness.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD1 B16A into 98 Civic DX......Need some confirmation lol (black88si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black88si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">P28 isn't chipped yet, still have to finish a lot on the car before the engine is even ready to go in. It will be chipped though. We

have the OBD1 harness already, Just want to get the harness problems sorted out first so that I can start making the tuck harness. If we have to solder any plugs, or change any plugs out it would be way easier to do it now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the harness is OBD-I, and the motor's components (dizzy, injectors, alternator, etc.) are all OBD-I it should work fine.

SOHC to DOHC doesn't matter or anything, OBD-I honda plugs are OBD-I honda plugs.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Re: OBD1 B16A into 98 Civic DX......Need some confirmation lol (Syndacate)

All motor components are OBD1 as well.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black88si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All motor components are OBD1 as well.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well it SHOULD work fine then .

Wait for somebody else though to confirm it as I only know of harness swaps what I've been told. Like I said, I cut the plugs off and crimp new ones on.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The obd1 92-95 eg/dc engine harness will not work at all in any civic 96-00. you need a 96-98 obd2a Ex engine harness (it comes through the firewall to the ecu with all three plugs plus the green one that connects to the dash harness) use that harness with the obd2a to obd1 jumper harness and your chipped p28 and you're all set
Old 09-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD1 B16A into 98 Civic DX......Need some confirmation lol (USDMCIVICHATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMCIVICHATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The obd1 92-95 eg/dc engine harness will not work at all in any civic 96-00. you need a 96-98 obd2a Ex engine harness (it comes through the firewall to the ecu with all three plugs plus the green one that connects to the dash harness) use that harness with the obd2a to obd1 jumper harness and your chipped p28 and you're all set</TD></TR></TABLE>

See, I was wrong.

Screw ******* with harnesses, it's too complex, just wire up the alternator, dizzy, and injectors into the existing harness.

It works...always...
Old 09-08-2007, 10:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well it SHOULD work fine then .

Wait for somebody else though to confirm it as I only know of harness swaps what I've been told. Like I said, I cut the plugs off and crimp new ones on.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Will probably just de-pin and re-pin.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMCIVICHATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The obd1 92-95 eg/dc engine harness will not work at all in any civic 96-00. you need a 96-98 obd2a Ex engine harness (it comes through the firewall to the ecu with all three plugs plus the green one that connects to the dash harness) use that harness with the obd2a to obd1 jumper harness and your chipped p28 and you're all set</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is the new plan I think. We will need to use the OBD1 injector plugs, distributor plugs, and alternator plugs here though correct?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

See, I was wrong.

Screw ******* with harnesses, it's too complex, just wire up the alternator, dizzy, and injectors into the existing harness.

It works...always...</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL. Pictures of car/motor are at the top.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black88si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That is the new plan I think. We will need to use the OBD1 injector plugs, distributor plugs, and alternator plugs here though correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, but you could just use OBD-II injectors.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black88si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL. Pictures of car/motor are at the top.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, I'm not entirely sure what happened to your harness....lol...

lol, that's a ******* mess T_T

As I said before:
SCREWWWWWWWWWWWWWW swapping harnesses, I never got why pple do that, just swap the plug ends ftw .
Old 09-08-2007, 10:20 PM

Yeah, but you could just use OBD-II injectors.

Wow, I'm not entirely sure what happened to your harness....lol...

lol, that's a ******* mess T_T

As I said before:
SCREWWWWWWWWWWWWWW swapping harnesses, I never got why pple do that, just swap the plug ends ftw .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Took the harness apart to build a tuck harness. Car will be getting a full wire tuck, maybe mild bay shave.

Have most of the interior stripped as well. I just want everything done right. This is the only area I am a lil confused on.

Seems like we need the OBD2 engine harness (which we don't have, only have an OBD1 engine harness) and a chipped OBD2 ECU.

That seems like the easiest way to do this.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black88si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Took the harness apart to build a tuck harness. Car will be getting a full wire tuck, maybe mild bay shave.

Have most of the interior stripped as well. I just want everything done right. This is the only area I am a lil confused on.

Seems like we need the OBD2 engine harness (which we don't have, only have an OBD1 engine harness) and a chipped OBD2 ECU.

That seems like the easiest way to do this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you mean the chipped obd1 p28 right? and ya if you wanna make it real easy switch out your injectors/distributor/alternator to obd2 and it's all plug and play or just cut and splice those plugs onto the 96-98 ex harness from the obd1 harness
Old 09-08-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: OBD1 B16A into 98 Civic DX......Need some confirmation lol (USDMCIVICHATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMCIVICHATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you mean the chipped obd1 p28 right? and ya if you wanna make it real easy switch out your injectors/distributor/alternator to obd2 and it's all plug and play or just cut and splice those plugs onto the 96-98 ex harness from the obd1 harness</TD></TR></TABLE>

Negative. Probably going to end up selling P28 or trading for a P72.

The car is Dre's (misanthropist) I am just lending a hand with this.

Trying from here to keep it on a budget. Nothing on the motor can have more than 30k on it. It's so minty fresh inside.

Like I said, If we can just get a P72, and an OBD2 harness......then switch the dizzy, alternator, and fuel injector plugs out for the OBD1 plugs.....that would be pretty easy to do.

Sucks I will have to start over on the tuck harness lol, but at least nothing is wrapped or heat shrinked haha.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

obd2 p72 won't run a b16 correctly nor will a obd1 p72 the correct ecu for that motor would be jdm p30 from eg6 or usdm p30 from 94-95 del sol
Old 09-09-2007, 12:15 AM

Whatever ECU it ends up being will get chipped.

I just figured an OBD2 P72 would be pretty easy to come by.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:26 AM

Quick morning bump, anybody else?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't think people chip obd2 ecu's