Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

obd0 ls swap into an eg. not getting spark? help plzz!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd0 ls swap into an eg. not getting spark? help plzz!

i just swapped a obd0 b18a into my eg, but first i converted it to obd1, everything was pretty straight foward, then i went and try to crank it, i got nothing, the motor doesnt turn, nor do i hear any clicking, but the lights on the dash did light up.then i checked to see if the fuel pump was workin, it was fine. then checked all the fuses, there also ok. my brother says its the dizzy not giving any spark. so i bought a brand new distributor from jdmenginescorps, and still no luck. then my brother somehow turned the motor with a speaker wire touching the positive end of the battery to the starter ground and got it to crank, but the motor will not turn on.

could it be a relay?? if so, which one is the relay? the blue or grey box?
any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: obd0 ls swap into an eg. not getting spark? help plzz!

So besides no spark, the starter also won't crank the engine, right? Have you checked the rubber stopper that presses on the starter switch at the top of the clutch pedal? Is the G3 transmission ground wire attached?

With the key in ON(II), is there battery voltage on the Blk/Yel wire attached to the coil and igniter unit?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
So besides no spark, the starter also won't crank the engine, right? Have you checked the rubber stopper that presses on the starter switch at the top of the clutch pedal? Is the G3 transmission ground wire attached?

With the key in ON(II), is there battery voltage on the Blk/Yel wire attached to the coil and igniter unit?

that is correct, the starter wont start the engine either. i havent checked the switch yet, but how does it look like?? and the g3 tranny your talkin abt. is that the tranny itself? if so, than the ground is also connected.

im not sure what blk/ yel wire your talkin abt?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

The red arrow points to the rubber stopper.

This shows the Blk/Yel wire and other distributor tests you should do.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

something i forgot to mention. my car use to be automatic, and i installed the new clutch pedal myself and also the pedal (switch A) is not plugged up to anything and im using my original auto harness. but the thing that is confusing me is that i did a tranny swap when i had the single cam it started and drove just fine.

also i think the igniter is bad on the NEW distributor... im goin to replace the igniter with my old obd0 dizzy igniter.hopefully it'll start!
an the pictures make all the difference!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

update: found out the NEW distributor was bad.. so i went out and bought a used one from my friend that was parting out is dc integra. also i change out the relay, and car still wont start nor crank. can anyone give me a clue to whats wrong? ignition key switch??? help plzZ!!!! im tired of waiting in the freezing whether for the buses!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you using the automatic harness.. you dnt have a nuteral safety switch u need a harness for a manual car for starters and a ecu if im not mistaken also u need to wire up the sensor that tells the ecu u have the clutch pressed in
Old 01-07-2011, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HondacivDX
you using the automatic harness.. you dnt have a nuteral safety switch u need a harness for a manual car for starters and a ecu if im not mistaken also u need to wire up the sensor that tells the ecu u have the clutch pressed in
a manual harness isnt necesary

OP when you swapped out the auto shifter console, the connector for that shifter should have got some splicing done to it,

i believe its the thick blk/red wire connected to the thick blk/wht IIRC

that bypasses the need for a neutral safety switch and sends power directly to the starter

OP have a friend check for voltages at the S and B terminal of your starter while you are attempting a crank
Old 01-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Linked
a manual harness isnt necesary

OP when you swapped out the auto shifter console, the connector for that shifter should have got some splicing done to it,

i believe its the thick blk/red wire connected to the thick blk/wht IIRC

that bypasses the need for a neutral safety switch and sends power directly to the starter

OP have a friend check for voltages at the S and B terminal of your starter while you are attempting a crank
i tested the S and B terminals and they have 5.v is that enough? also when i turn the key on (2)the oil and battery light stays on. and it isnt throwing any CEL codes. i really think its the ignition, but before i go out and dump anymore money to gettin it started, i wanna be for sure this time..
Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[img]/http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs152.snc3/17954_1300485762939_1554287973_781685_6499930_n.jp g/[img]

Last edited by Former User; 11-23-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you wire up the old slush box so the park switch is over ridden. if this has a poor connection it wont start either if u did an auto to manual swap. look over your wiring at the console make sure its right.