Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OBD-II ECU -> OBD-I Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD-II ECU -> OBD-I Engine?

This really isn't specific to any car, and I'm just trying to gather some information for a kinda crazy rotary swap in my Mazda, but it seems that Honda fanatics have a little better grasp on manipulating the OBD-II ECU.

So here's my question. Hypothetically, let's say I have an EK (when in reality the only Honda I have is an OG 82 Civic, but that's a swap for another thread...) and I want to swap in an OBD-I B18C GSR engine in it. Since I live in an area where an inspection includes plugging into the computer, scan the VIN, etc. I _need_ to stick with the stock OBD-II ECU. What's the solution to make the swap work?

Right now my only solution that _I_ can think of is run the stock ECU with anything that might throw a code, and run a standalone (Megasquirt'n'Spark) to control the rest (and might run double sensors for the parts than need it).

Am I going in the completely wrong direction? Is there another way that would be easier and still accomplish what I'm looking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Modified by fujii13 at 2:01 PM 12/21/2005
Old 12-21-2005, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OBD-II ECU -> OBD-I Engine? (fujii13)

depending on the test center that you go to some are really strict and will look for every sensor that is supposed to be on the motor. if you are running obd2 ecu make sure all the sensors that is for the motor is there and you are not throwing any codes.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Re: OBD-II ECU -> OBD-I Engine? (hatchi)

If you are going to run an OBD-2 ECU in an OBD-1 car you are going to need to install a crank position sensor, which will require you to change the timing belt pulley and oil pump and timing belt cover. They will all have to be out of an OBD-1. Wire up, knock sensor , most likely vtec, secondary butterfly valve solenoid, and evap purge as well as a secondary O2 sensor.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OBD-II ECU -> OBD-I Engine? (fujii13)

[QUOTE=fujii13]
So here's my question. Hypothetically, let's say I have an EG (when in reality the only Honda I have is an OG 82 Civic, but that's a swap for another thread...) and I want to swap in an OBD-I B18C GSR engine in it. Since I live in an area where an inspection includes plugging into the computer, scan the VIN, etc. I _need_ to stick with the stock OBD-II ECU. What's the solution to make the swap work?
[QUOTE]

eg is OBD1 from the factory. I am not sure what you are asking. If you roll into an inspection in an eg and have an obd1 ecu, there is no problem.

Modified by SuperSlow at 2:31 PM 12/21/2005
Old 12-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD-II ECU -> OBD-I Engine? (SuperSlow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperSlow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">eg is OBD1 from the factory. I am not sure what you are asking. If you roll into an inspection in an eg and have an obd1 ecu, there is no problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

EK, sorry. as i said, i was only using that for reference. i'm actually trying to drop a 13B into an OBD-II mx6, but i was trying to relate it to a honda for you guys...