Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OBD conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD conversion question

I did some researching but was unable to find quite what I am looking for, hopefully one of you gurus can point me in the right direction...

So I have a 1998 dx civic hatch that I am in the process of swapping a 1996 b18b into. I'm using the stock civic harness and have most of the swap hooked up and was just buttoning everything up when I came across the secondary o2 sensor problem. I plan to turbo this motor in the future so I didn't want to go through the hassle of dealing with that plus all the other sensors obd2 has, so I purchased an obd1 ECU and a jumper harness. From what I've read, it seems to me that I don't need anything else to convert obd's, it should just be plug n play, but do I need to be depinning anything from the ECU side of the harness? I thought it was sort of strange that I will have plugs just hanging in the engine bay not causing any issues for me but if it is less work for me to do, im not complaining!!

Another issue I've been having is some of the plugs, such as the VSS and the reverse sensor don't seem to connect properly even though they look like they should fit perfectly. Its almost as if they are hitting something plastic and not going in all the way, (none of the pins are bent) should I be using integra plugs?

Last short question, can I swap an obd1 b18a1 alternator onto my obd2 b18b if I swap the plugs and vice versa? or does the obd2 one have different specs than the obd1 motors electrical requirements

Just wanted to get some feedback from you guys while I wait for my last few parts to arrive, hopefully will get the swap fired up this weekend!

Thanks
Old 03-08-2019, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD conversion question

Bump
Old 03-08-2019, 06:13 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

If you know what you're doing with the alternator plug then go for it.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FourthGen
I did some researching but was unable to find quite what I am looking for, hopefully one of you gurus can point me in the right direction...

So I have a 1998 dx civic hatch that I am in the process of swapping a 1996 b18b into. I'm using the stock civic harness and have most of the swap hooked up and was just buttoning everything up when I came across the secondary o2 sensor problem. I plan to turbo this motor in the future so I didn't want to go through the hassle of dealing with that plus all the other sensors obd2 has, so I purchased an obd1 ECU and a jumper harness. From what I've read, it seems to me that I don't need anything else to convert obd's, it should just be plug n play, but do I need to be depinning anything from the ECU side of the harness? I thought it was sort of strange that I will have plugs just hanging in the engine bay not causing any issues for me but if it is less work for me to do, im not complaining!!

Another issue I've been having is some of the plugs, such as the VSS and the reverse sensor don't seem to connect properly even though they look like they should fit perfectly. Its almost as if they are hitting something plastic and not going in all the way, (none of the pins are bent) should I be using integra plugs?
**Make sure there isn't a white piece of plastic inside the VSS - sometimes it sticks in there from the wire side. The plugs between integra and civic are the same.

Last short question, can I swap an obd1 b18a1 alternator onto my obd2 b18b if I swap the plugs and vice versa? or does the obd2 one have different specs than the obd1 motors electrical requirements
**The alternators are the same, just the plugs are different. Shouldn't have any issues besides maybe different belt size.

Just wanted to get some feedback from you guys while I wait for my last few parts to arrive, hopefully will get the swap fired up this weekend!

Thanks
Old 03-08-2019, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is it okay to leave things like the secondary o2 sensor plug dangling in the engine bay after converting to obd1?
Old 03-09-2019, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FourthGen
is it okay to leave things like the secondary o2 sensor plug dangling in the engine bay after converting to obd1?
Better to just unplug them. Obd1 doesn't used them at all, so won't throw a code.