Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

O2 SENSOR

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O2 SENSOR

WHAT ARE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A CAR THAT HAS A BAD O2 SENSOR... LIKE WHAT WOULD IT DO??
Old 10-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: O2 SENSOR (Midori Green)

It will eat your gas(run rich) /no vtec/blow fuel out your tailpipe-looks like smoke
Old 10-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: O2 SENSOR (numberone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by numberone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It will eat your gas(run rich) /no vtec/blow fuel out your tailpipe-looks like smoke</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2, poor gas mileage, black soot on your rear side from running richer than normal, car feeling kind of sluggish from running too rich, those are some main factors.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

when my B16A O2 sensor went, it did all that and also made a wierd trottle hesitation that it would abruptly pull out of and into. I believe that was do to an intermintent signal. Also CEL.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by numberone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It will eat your gas(run rich) /no vtec/blow fuel out your tailpipe-looks like smoke</TD></TR></TABLE>

Vtec will work with no O2 sensor.

You're describing the symptoms of a bad PRIMARY O2 sensor. A bad secondary will just set a check engine light with no driveability problems. The driveability or other problems might come from the problem that MADE IT go bad in the first place.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: O2 SENSOR (mcvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when my B16A O2 sensor went, it did all that and also made a wierd trottle hesitation that it would abruptly pull out of and into. I believe that was do to an intermintent signal. Also CEL.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WOW this is exactly what my car does...sometimes it just like hesitates then when i shift to the next gear its all better... i also have a cel and it says bank 1... im not sure if its the first o2 or the second because it also said catalytic so im guessing its the second... my car is not running rich but it is wasting more gas than normal and everyonce in a while it feels like it looses all the power for a few seconds
Old 10-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds about right. Just swap in a new o2 sensor. Either go with another oem one or go with a universal one for auto-zone and cut/soder in the universal one to your oem o2 plug

You got a midori so get on it quick. Gotta keep the midori presence up there
Old 10-16-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: O2 SENSOR (kay_animation)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kay_animation &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds about right. Just swap in a new o2 sensor. Either go with another oem one or go with a universal one for auto-zone and cut/soder in the universal one to your oem o2 plug

You got a midori so get on it quick. Gotta keep the midori presence up there </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol actually i sold the midori a few months ago but how do i kno which one to replace??? like which one do i ask for when i go to the parts store??
Old 10-16-2007, 06:17 PM

mines doing the same thing, sounds about right. if your car is burning more gas, then it is running rich. its most likely your secondary O2.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: (CTRwannabe)

i think its the one in the cat cuz the scan tool said catylitic efficiency so im guessing its the one in the cat which is the second
Old 10-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Green &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

WOW this is exactly what my car does...sometimes it just like hesitates then when i shift to the next gear its all better... i also have a cel and it says bank 1... im not sure if its the first o2 or the second because it also said catalytic so im guessing its the second... my car is not running rich but it is wasting more gas than normal and everyonce in a while it feels like it looses all the power for a few seconds</TD></TR></TABLE>

bank 1 = primary

Your car is running rich. Running rich means using more fuel. If it uses more fuel than usual, then, by definition, it is running rich.

Cat efficeincy = secondary. This could mean that your cat is no longer good. if your car was running too rich to begin with, it could have melted the cat.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: O2 SENSOR (B serious)

well the motor was just swapped in and its running perfect and yess the scan tool sed catalytic efficiency bank 1 which makes no sense cuz theres no cat on bank 1???? and my cat is good
Old 10-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Green &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well the motor was just swapped in and its running perfect and yess the scan tool sed catalytic efficiency bank 1 which makes no sense cuz theres no cat on bank 1???? and my cat is good </TD></TR></TABLE>

Cat deficiency means that your 2nd 02 sensor is reading the same level that your primary is, indicating to your ECU that your cat is no longer functioning to OEM and state emmision standards. Gotta love OBD2 . What motor did you originally have, and what motor was just swapped in? Is the secondary 02 in the correct place to read exhaust-flow after the cat?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: O2 SENSOR (97Ej6mike)

i originally had a y7 motor and i swapped in another y7 motor from the same year but with about 50k less miles the oil on this motor is like see thru its so clean but that dont matter when it comes to my o2 sensors or cat my car has aftermarket piping by the way but its still not illegal str8 pipe and everthing is in place
Old 10-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Green &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i originally had a y7 motor and i swapped in another y7 motor from the same year but with about 50k less miles the oil on this motor is like see thru its so clean but that dont matter when it comes to my o2 sensors or cat my car has aftermarket piping by the way but its still not illegal str8 pipe and everthing is in place</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you tried reseting the ECU?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I get the CEL 45. Is that likely to be the primary or secondary o2 sensor?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: O2 SENSOR (mybrokenblinker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mybrokenblinker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I get the CEL 45. Is that likely to be the primary or secondary o2 sensor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Neither, : Code 45 = Fuel system too rich or lean.
Although that has to do with what the primary 02 is reading, theres a chance the sensor could be faulty.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:33 PM

nope have not reset the ecu... dont know how to and dont think that would help i really think its my secondary o2
Old 10-17-2007, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97Ej6mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Neither, : Code 45 = Fuel system too rich or lean.
Although that has to do with what the primary 02 is reading, theres a chance the sensor could be faulty.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm aware it means to rich or too lean, but I can't find info about the fix anywhere.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mybrokenblinker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm aware it means to rich or too lean, but I can't find info about the fix anywhere.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, do you have any modifications to your motor? Things such as an upgraded fuel system, bigger injectors, FPR, ect? Basically anything that would allow you to alter the air/fuel ratio yourself, aside from what the ECU is running?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Umm...just an an aem v2, dc header, and RS*R exhaust, nothing big time...I haven't been able to find any info on other people with code 45 anywhere...
Old 10-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mybrokenblinker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Umm...just an an aem v2, dc header, and RS*R exhaust, nothing big time...I haven't been able to find any info on other people with code 45 anywhere...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Try doing a general tune up, such as new cap/rotor, plugs, new fuel filter, and maybe run some injector cleaner thru the system. If your getting that code, theres a possibility that your not getting a good burn, thats the issue id start with, and go from there.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks for the tip, so you don't think it's an o2 sensor?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:26 AM

probably not
Old 10-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Green &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">probably not</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, you can reset the ECU by unhooking the battery for about 30 secs, or taking out the ECU fuse for 30 secs, or unpluging the ECU directly for a few moments.

If that doesnt clear it, then good chance its your 02 sensor, but dont neglect the fact that your Cat may be to blame as well. If you can find a used sensor in decent condition, id try it out, see if it throws the same code after reseting the ECU.

Quick Reply: O2 SENSOR