Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2, EVAP, Catalyst Monitors CA SMOG

1997 Honda Civic EX
148,xxx
2nd motor
no check engine lights
no codes or pending codes

Ok so i've tried everything ill give you a complete run down of the recent history of this vehicle

installed a new motor maybe 8 months ago, came out of a partially wrecked 4d civic i drove it ran good no codes.

When i was installing it i broke the knock sensor somehow so its always had the knock code on.

I quit driving the car and it sat for like 3 months i then installed a new knock sensor so i could sell and smog the car.

I installed the new sensor pulled off the battery cable so i could reset the code.

So now the knock code is gone the car is running good and i take it to the smog shop. Smog Tech said he could not smog the car because the battery and recently been disconnected and i should go drive the car untill the monitors are all set to "COMPLETE"

I drove the car for about 200 miles in one day and the monitors still would not set. Finally i found that my STEREO/BACKUP fuse was popped and that my ECU was re learning everytime i restarted the car. So i was never actually completing a drive cycle so now the fuse is fixed and i've driven the car about 100 miles and STILL no freaking sensors are ready can anyone help!!!??
I;ve manually tried to check for codes and i've had the sensors read with 3 different scanners. I've driven everywhere in my county gotten a flat tire and a huge crack in my window from some beyatch kickin a rock up at me. Im tierd frustrated and PISSED off all i want is this car to pass so i can sell it

thanks for your time

Sonny
I
Old 02-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: O2, EVAP, Catalyst Monitors CA SMOG

Please has anyone had trouble getting their monitors to set, i've done as much research as i can w/o the search being available
Old 02-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some times driving 100 miles in 1 shot wont do it. we are lucky here in delaware. we can have i think at least 1 incomplete and still pass in 00. you can hae 2 in earlier obd cars. did you try little drives? are they all incomplete? or just 1 or 2 that havent run?
Old 02-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the o2heater sensor complete but the o2 evap and cat monitors are not on, i only need one of those anyone will due
Old 02-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can you tell me how many are set and how many are not set? there is certain driving conditions u gotta do to set these monitors...i CAN usually get all except the EVAP monitor to set wit 1 drive cycle but the EVAP takes at least 2-3 drive cycles

1. start the car COLD and let it idle until it warms up (Fan comes on 1x)

2. Drive the car on flat surface at speeds of 25-55mph for at least 6 miles without any abrupt acceleration or deceleration(freeway is the best)

3. that should have set most of them by now

4. EVAP monitor is prob the harder one to get to set..on mine i had to do step 1 and step 2 but i had to drive at least 30-40 miles round trip b4 mine set to Complete

good luck
Old 02-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any luck? I am currently going through the same ****. I did a mini me and installed all sensors and was able to do the potentiometer trick for the FPS to get rid of code. All codes are clear but my monitoring is not ready. I logged 500 miles and put 93 octane gas in the car and still the evap and other **** (can't remember). Anyone know how to clear these?

I am thinking I am going to have to wait till the weather gets warmer (New England blows) and swapping in the 3 wire TB from the Y7 and repinning the ECU again and putting the original ECU back in.

I don't know if this is a mini me (Y8 head/ Y7 block) or just real code.

P.S. When I go to fill up I can hear the pressure release when I unscrew the cap so I don't believe it's this.

Also my rejection sticker is due this Tuesday (****).
Old 02-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so i fixed my car yesterday and sold it YES!!!!!!

the entire time my thermostat was bad, it was stuck partially open so the car would never properly warm up and if the car doesn't warm up it will not set the monitors. I to drove a million miles to no avail. Make sure you warm the car up before you drive it. doesn't waste any more time driving it around it should only take a few miles GOOD luck lemme know
Old 09-30-2018, 01:33 PM
Trial User

1997 honda civic.all are ready except o2 sencer and catalist moniters { im moniters } iv tried everything all kinds of drive cycles please someone tell me what to do.i have no check engine light on either.