Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NY Inspection w/ Conversion Harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NY Inspection w/ Conversion Harnesses

Hey, me 'n my friend just finished an OBD-I GSR into his '00 DX Hatch. We NEED to get an inspection on it since it's over-due, I was going ot buy one of those OBD-IIB (version 2) to OBD-I conversion harnesses but I was wondering:

If I use the conversion harness, will it still be scannable? Because at NYS inspection requires an OBD-II scan of your computer. So wouldn't it not find an ECU because the OBD-I is plugged up? I realize it wouldn't throw any CEL's, but it has to be computer scanned .

Somebody help me on this plzzzzz
Old 07-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NY Inspection w/ Conversion Harnesses (Syndacate)

in pre 95 shells, nys inspection is usually just a sniffer test...in newer shells, it's done through the ecu.

before going to a NYS inpections station, please consider that the law stipulates that you may swap a motor in your car which is from the same year or newer (not older). in other words, since we're talking about a 2000 dx hatch, you are only allowed to swap in a motor from a 2000 or newer.

your inspections station, dmv, or dot probably won't know which year your gsr is from (unless you've told your insurance company about the motor), but using an obd1 ecu is a flag...it's going to be a problem since the emissions/ inspections will be looking to plug into an obd2b ecu looking for cel/codes. do not use the obd1 ecu & obd2>obd1 harness when trying to get passed. everything must be obd2 or 2000 specs w/ your ecu. you may want to consider an ecu from a 00-01 gsr for inspection purposes.

you can run an obd1 ecu w/ the conversion harness, just NOT during inspections. you'll need this conversion if you plan on running hondata.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NY Inspection w/ Conversion Harnesses (roastbeefrichie)

Take off the harness and use your old ecu just for inspection?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

...on obd2 cars, there's a the crank angle sensor. since the 95's don't have 'em, this will throw a code. obd2 also uses two o2 sensors, one on the header & one on the cat...another code. are you using a obd1 or obd2 distributor? do you have an exhaust? any work done to the motor? just more factors that will play in. basically, it's gonna be tough to pass w/o some work

Old 07-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roastbeefrichie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in pre 95 shells, nys inspection is usually just a sniffer test...in newer shells, it's done through the ecu.

before going to a NYS inpections station, please consider that the law stipulates that you may swap a motor in your car which is from the same year or newer (not older). in other words, since we're talking about a 2000 dx hatch, you are only allowed to swap in a motor from a 2000 or newer.

your inspections station, dmv, or dot probably won't know which year your gsr is from (unless you've told your insurance company about the motor), but using an obd1 ecu is a flag...it's going to be a problem since the emissions/ inspections will be looking to plug into an obd2b ecu looking for cel/codes. do not use the obd1 ecu & obd2&gt;obd1 harness when trying to get passed. everything must be obd2 or 2000 specs w/ your ecu. you may want to consider an ecu from a 00-01 gsr for inspection purposes.

you can run an obd1 ecu w/ the conversion harness, just NOT during inspections. you'll need this conversion if you plan on running hondata.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't ask for an explanation on how NYS inspection works, I know exactly how it works. They have to OBD-II scan the car, as in hoook up a computer, and scan it for codes, to make sure it didn't have a CEL in the short past, and it just shut off, OR to make sure it didn't have a CEL, and you pulled the bat right before you brought it to the inspection.

I don't care about the same year or newer or all that other crap because it doesn't exist in NY. I just need an OBD-II port scan (under the dash, plug the computer up and hit "scan"). I just need to know if it'll read the ECU or it won't read the ECU because there's an OBD-I ECU there which doesn't have the same I/M monitors (or any I/M monitors) as the OBD-II.

So simply, my question states:
Can you bring a '99 chassis w/ an OBD-IIb to OBD-I conversion harness w/ an OBD-I ECU and an OBD-I motor to AUTOZONE or ADVANCE AUTO or PEP BOYS and ask them to scan the computer for CEL's - can they hook the computer up and scan the ECU, or will it give them an error msg?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

think about what you just wrote. If you converted your car to obd1, how is an obd2 scanner going to work?

You would jump the connector and check it just like an obd1 car.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In NY you only need to scan cars 96 or after, so they don't jump any harnesses on the OBD-I ****.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think you misunderstood me, to check the cel on your set-up...yes, you can go to autozone.

if you want to check yourself...down by the passenger side kick-panel. there will be a plug that isn't plugged into anything. It may have a cap over the end. You can take a piece of wire, and jump that plug. Then I believe you turn the key to the "on" position. ( you will year the fuel pump run ) Then your engine light will flash a few times. It will pause. there's your cel
Old 07-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Syndacate, unless I'm missing something here you have an OBDII-OBDI conversation harness with an OBDI ecu. Why dont you just disconnect the conversion harness, and plug in an OBDII ecu just for inspection purposes?

And for someone whos belittled enough people on this board, I would think youd have been able to find something through a search. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1798978 There are several threads on this subject.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roastbeefrichie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think you misunderstood me, to check the cel on your set-up...yes, you can go to autozone.

if you want to check yourself...down by the passenger side kick-panel. there will be a plug that isn't plugged into anything. It may have a cap over the end. You can take a piece of wire, and jump that plug. Then I believe you turn the key to the "on" position. ( you will year the fuel pump run ) Then your engine light will flash a few times. It will pause. there's your cel
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, you mis-understood me. I know how to check the CEL through the service port by the ECU, I can't give 2 ***** about that, I'm trying to get the stupid thing inspected. For 96+ year cars they have to OBD-II scan it in the port under the dash by the steering wheel column for it to pass - it can't throw any CEL's. OBD-I is different in NY, it doesn't mater if you're throwing every code in the book - it will still pass.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EM1_00Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Syndacate, unless I'm missing something here you have an OBDII-OBDI conversation harness with an OBDI ecu. Why dont you just disconnect the conversion harness, and plug in an OBDII ecu just for inspection purposes?

And for someone whos belittled enough people on this board, I would think youd have been able to find something through a search. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1798978 There are several threads on this subject.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Find one person I belittled that didn't completely and utterly deserve it. Like the guy who ran the redlight and made the post "can I fight this" or some stupid crap like that just to try to spin it off still cool.

I bash people who ask questions about CTR mirrors, why? Because there's a new thread every week (sometimes twice a week) about those stupid JDM ricer bullshit aesthetics upgrades. So you'd think people would have enough common sense to search? HELL NO. You find me one person that didn't deserve to get bashed.

If you put an OBD-II ECU in there it'll start looking for knock sensors 'n **** - since it can't find them, it'll throw a CEL, if it throws a CEL, since it's a '00 chassis, it'll fail inspection. Sensors are a pain in the *** to wire up when the engine (since it's OBD-I) doesn't have the spots for them.

This is why I wanted to talk to somebody from NY, because unless you actually live here and get cars inspected, you don't know the laws, and obviously you live in some state where education (more specifically reading comprehension) isn't held to a high standard based on your responses to some question that was never asked.

I don't try to explain cali emissions **** to cali pple. Y'kno why? Because I don't live in cali and I don't know jack **** about their emissions & smog & carb and all that other bullshit.

NY is REAL simple, REALLY simple:
All cars 96 or newer MUST BE computer scanned by the plug under the dash by the steering column. All I/M sensors in the ECU must be monitoring, and you can't have any CELs. For cars 95 or older, nothing matters, you can throw every CEL in the book and still pass. Either way, there's no emissions testing and no decibal testing, as long as your ECU tells you everything's alright, everything's alright.

Nevermind, I got the answer from somebody already, <u>from new york</u> - The OBD-I and OBD-II use different scan protocols for the I/M monitors, you will get an ECU error on the inspection test. Therefore it will fail.

Now I have to go find a Y7 to throw in there to pass inspection, peace.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Locked per request.