Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Number of things going on..Car losing power. D16Y8

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Number of things going on..Car losing power. D16Y8

Dear Honda-tech, thank you for all the help.

It appears i find myself in another d16y8 delimna. Gotta say i love the 6th Gen EX's but honestly i think my next cars gonna have to be something like an Si.

Symptom 1:
Ok, So my car just got a new motor put in it. 130k miles. I got the car back, It ran rather sluggish. I was informed that one of my spark plug wires had a cut in it, particularly spark wire number 1 (the longest one). For example, the light turns green I slam on the gas to get up to speed and it lags up until like 3,000 rpm.

Symptom 2:
I found the car cutting off on me even in neutral. For instance, I drive and I brake approaching a stop light and so I throw the shifter into neutral, the car gets shaky AS IF I was in gear and easing off the clutch, the car then cuts off. I turn the key and it turns back on just fine.

My Efforts:
I bought a spark plug wire set from AutoZone after reading the Duralast one's were ok to use since I don't race the car. I noticed after attempting to put them in the number 1 Wire (Longest one) Wouldn't pop into place on the spark plug end. I noticed testing the short wire it popped in more correctly. I took the box back in and got another box and the same thing happened. The longest one fit a bit more than the first box so I just rode with and i noticed the car having the same problem. Even more so now it seems. I put the old Longest plug back on the car and it stopped doing the cutting off so far for tonight. It was happening at every stop light.

With that said, I also want to note there was a small leak which i couldn't tell if it was Transmission fluid or Oil by smelling it. I took the car down to the shop and they realized the car was leaking tranny fluid because the tranny drain bolt was loose. I thought that would have stopped the leak but sure enough as i left work today i noticed a really dark black liquid when i backed up. I got out and touched it, it had no smell at all. Mind you the motor just got replaced 2 week ago so I dont understand why this fluid was black. No way it could have turned black that fast ive only driven it a handful of times since i got it back.

I have no check Engine light.
My knock sensor is there.
The car has oil.

I gave as much detail as i could. Any idea what could be going on?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Number of things going on..Car losing power. D16Y8

help
Old 03-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Plugs, cap, rotor, ignition timing?
Old 03-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I took it to the shop and my mechanic said the timing was on point. Im more curious to know if anyone's had problems with the Duralast plugs. Has anyone dealt with bosch?
Old 03-12-2011, 06:57 AM
gwl
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Ron, replaced the cap, rotor, and plugs. Make sure the spark plug gaps are correct. I had good luck with NGK blue plug wires. I have never used Duralast or Bosch wires.

I rereading your original post. Your new engine has 130k miles? Hopefully, they put on a new timing belt, tensioner, and water pump.

On your oil leak, you will have to look for yourself on where the oil is coming from. Is it a lot of oil?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gwl
I'm with Ron, replaced the cap, rotor, and plugs. Make sure the spark plug gaps are correct. I had good luck with NGK blue plug wires. I have never used Duralast or Bosch wires.

I rereading your original post. Your new engine has 130k miles? Hopefully, they put on a new timing belt, tensioner, and water pump.

On your oil leak, you will have to look for yourself on where the oil is coming from. Is it a lot of oil?
Agreed, I plan on sending the car in for a master tune up sometime at the beginning of april. I checked the rear main seal and it looks clean up there. No oil on it.

Ill definitely replace the cap, the plugs, the wires, the rotor.