Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NRG Wheel Setup or eBay Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NRG Wheel Setup or eBay Setup?

Hello H-T.
Before you all flame me for this, I'd like to state that many companies tend to switch their ways of manufacturing and move to china and use cheaper methods to produce, etc. Most of the threads I've seen have been fro 2009, which is 6 years ago.

Since that's out of the way,
I got a job and now I'm starting to save for mods for a EK (EJ in the states) hatch or sedan. Anyway, I anticipate completely redoing the interior. I want to replace that bulky stock steering wheel with something a little more streamlined, and this is where I need your opinions.

On eBay, there is a NRG (genuine) short hub for $80, and an NRG wheel for $120. I'm not really into the quick release craze, just adds to the possibility of breakage, etc. I need my horn to work at all times too lol. I can either go for this NRG setup, or I can buy a hub, wheel, quick release combo from seller speed daddy for 40 bucks.

Which would you guys recommend, keeping in mind I'm a student on a budget, but I also need to get to work every day and the steering wheel is the thing we interact with the most in our cars. I just wanted another opinion.

Thanks for looking and replying!

TysonB
Old 06-05-2015, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NRG Wheel Setup or eBay Setup?

I guess what I'm asking is for people to give me their opinion on the speed daddy setup.
If you have one of these, or an NRG setup you can compare to, please let me know why you went NRG vs the eBay route. Thanks
Old 06-05-2015, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

stick with NRG. That cheap ebay brand is not streamlined at all, and makes the wheel sit close to your chest; in other words bulky. Also the quality is junk.
Just get the NRG short hub and save money up for a better wheel, MOMO, nardi, etc. The NRG wheels are junk too. That is if you're going for the streamlined look.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

+1 For don't buy the Ebay crap. I have purchased one and I know of one other person and both were very cheap and the overall design was very lacking. I purchased the quick release one and that thing rattled and flexed all over the place. I didn't even attempt to drive my car. Just took it right back off!
Old 06-05-2015, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Look up youtube videos of people bending eBay wheels. I wouldn't trust no name hubs/quick releases. No reason to skimp on this type of stuff.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my old mechanic told me a story of how this guy had one of those **** no-name wheels and a minor rear end had the entire wheel snap and forced the dudes head into the hub.
Dude was messed up to say the least.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^
Yeah, I saw this kind of stuff first hand. I saw a guy at a track day with an e-bay steering wheel had a minor incident (lightly tapped a wall) with the right rear. The car still ran fine, but he had to have the car towed because the steering wheel got bent in the process.

I would imagine that the entire thing could snap and stay in your hands in a major incident.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:23 PM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I owned an ebay special steering wheel a few years ago and while it 'looked good', it was very easy to bend and twist. I would not buy one again, although I wouldn't buy any aftermarket wheels at all, honestly. They look much better than stock, I'll give you that much, but I've been hit head on by a truck in my integra and let's just say I'm grateful I had the OEM airbag still on.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:42 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If all you want is a hub, then Momo is the way to go, it's $70 and will mount the wheel at the proper distance, the NRG short hub is to be used with a quick release, it'll mount the wheel too close to the column.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
If all you want is a hub, then Momo is the way to go, it's $70 and will mount the wheel at the proper distance, the NRG short hub is to be used with a quick release, it'll mount the wheel too close to the column.
Originally Posted by Ryd2TheMax
I owned an ebay special steering wheel a few years ago and while it 'looked good', it was very easy to bend and twist. I would not buy one again, although I wouldn't buy any aftermarket wheels at all, honestly. They look much better than stock, I'll give you that much, but I've been hit head on by a truck in my integra and let's just say I'm grateful I had the OEM airbag still on.
Originally Posted by Matt_EH3
^^
Yeah, I saw this kind of stuff first hand. I saw a guy at a track day with an e-bay steering wheel had a minor incident (lightly tapped a wall) with the right rear. The car still ran fine, but he had to have the car towed because the steering wheel got bent in the process.

I would imagine that the entire thing could snap and stay in your hands in a major incident.
Originally Posted by jwest1150
my old mechanic told me a story of how this guy had one of those **** no-name wheels and a minor rear end had the entire wheel snap and forced the dudes head into the hub.
Dude was messed up to say the least.
Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Look up youtube videos of people bending eBay wheels. I wouldn't trust no name hubs/quick releases. No reason to skimp on this type of stuff.
Originally Posted by OregonDucks
+1 For don't buy the Ebay crap. I have purchased one and I know of one other person and both were very cheap and the overall design was very lacking. I purchased the quick release one and that thing rattled and flexed all over the place. I didn't even attempt to drive my car. Just took it right back off!
Originally Posted by jwest1150
stick with NRG. That cheap ebay brand is not streamlined at all, and makes the wheel sit close to your chest; in other words bulky. Also the quality is junk.
Just get the NRG short hub and save money up for a better wheel, MOMO, nardi, etc. The NRG wheels are junk too. That is if you're going for the streamlined look.
Thank you to all of you for replying. So should I go with a MOMO champion wheel and a sparco hub? The hub is 85 and the wheel is 225. I'm pretty sure that the Sparco hub is a crush type hub which will help me if i get in a crash on the street, right?

Also, to the guy that got hit head on, how the hell did that even happen LOL. Wrong way driver? Anyway, nice that you're ok.

Also, I was going to order an EK9 wheel from hmotorsonline.com but they say that it doesn't include the airbag "deployer". The cost is 300 bucks but where would I even get a deployer, much less put it in the wheel without it exploding in my face while I'm doing it? That would be my wheel of choice keeping SRS

Last edited by TysonB; 06-07-2015 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Quoted Myself
Old 06-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't trust what I steer my vehicle with on ebay parts. There's sponsors on the marketplace where you can get an nrg short hub and wheel for $160.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civics4lyfe
I wouldn't trust what I steer my vehicle with on ebay parts. There's sponsors on the marketplace where you can get an nrg short hub and wheel for $160.
Exactly! Nothing but proven aftermarket parts go on my vehicle when it relates to any of the safety systems. And a steering wheel is definitely a safety feature!