Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NRG hub/quick release wiring issues due to age

Old 05-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NRG hub/quick release wiring issues due to age

I have a 92 Civic (EG), and after about 3 years of having a perfectly working horn, it stopped working. No, it is not the basic issue of getting the wire from the SRS connector to contact the back of the short hub. I am using an extra SRS connector with the ribbon stripped and the horn wire soldered in (so the connector remains OEM) and the other end with a soldered spade connector to go into the OEM shoe horn. I took apart my setup to see where the problem lied and I found it. I found one of the two wires from the short hub to the quick release cut, and I do not remember where it is supposed to come from. Can anyone help? These pictures will explain it better.

I just noticed that the picture is rather dark, but you can see the wire on the bottom is just cut apparently. Where is it supposed to go and where would I get a replacement wire?

While I am on the topic.. as I was disassembling the quick release, I removed the horn button to check if any of those wires were cut and I didn't really like the way I have the black wire attached to the gold 'clip' on the outer button. I just bent the spade connector and wrapped it around and then electrical taped it. Does anyone use a better technique that is more robust?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NRG hub/quick release wiring issues due to age

That wire should be going in the hole,at te 2'oclock position of your first pic.

It brings ground from the button(when pressed) to the shoehorn to relay causing the horn to sound.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought so... but now what do I do? How can I get behind this to get to the hole and how is the wire supposed to be attached back there? I think once I remove the hub nut the white piece with the gold foiled back come apart and I can get where the hole leads...

Also, do you have any advice for my second question? I want the black wire's spade connector to be attached to that clip on the horn button better so it is more robust and permanent.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any suggestions on a robust way to keep that black wire's spade connector on the brass horn button ring/clip in the second picture?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to remove the hub and re-wire it. That simple. Mine getts pulled and rips after a few miles, I just leave it for now. I will fix the day before inspection if I haven't figured out a more permanent solution.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I fixed it. So basically I removed the short hub and the white plastic thing wasn't even glued on like it should have been (must have dried up and lost its adhesiveness). I noticed that the black wire came out of its crimp to the ring connector that is soldered to the brass plate. Instead of getting a connector to crimp the wire into, I just stripped the wire and soldered it to the connector that was already soldered down. Then I proceeded to super glue the brass plate/ring to the white plastic (which is how it is supposed to be but for some reason neither of mine were glued), and then super glue the white plastic to the metal hub.

I am still looking for a good way to get that male spade connector (in the second picture in the OP) to the brass clip which holds the horn button into the wheel. I tried soldering a short wire to the clip and on the other end I crimped a female spade connector so its plug and play. Unfortunately I soldered the wire in a bad spot on the clip where now it cannot push all the way down and clip properly into the wheel.