Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Now bad is it? (big pics).

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad is it? (big pics).

EDIT: Woops, I already jacked up the title. lol

First off I wasn't sure exactly were to put this but it is an EK so here it is.

I have the back upper arms spaced out by two washers and the camber still looks pretty bad. I can't space it out any more without it rubbing.

I would say the tires are about 50% worn and I am going on vacation this week (about 1200 miles round trip). I would like your guys opinions on if you think I will have any major issues with tire wear just during the short term trek I will be on during vacation.

Thanks guys your opinions and experience is much appreciated.

Here are the pics.

Old 06-15-2004, 06:34 PM

go to the alignment shop and have them tell you the camber degrees then post that.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95civicracer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95civicracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go to the alignment shop and have them tell you the camber degrees then post that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have to work 10 hour days all the way up until I leave for the trip.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EKhatch)

dont screw with the camber, get the toe set to 0 and call it a day
Old 06-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Civiclx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civiclx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont screw with the camber, get the toe set to 0 and call it a day</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you think it will be OK for the drive out of town as long as I get the toe set to zero?

Thanks man, I appreciate you input.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So you think it will be OK for the drive out of town as long as I get the toe set to zero?

Thanks man, I appreciate you input. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Put your steelies on for the majority of the drive and then swap your wheels on once you get there
Or get it aligned

Edit: Boise, huh? Me, too
Old 06-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you have the toe set at zero it levels out the tire back to if it was at stock hight. Do that and youll me more then fine for this trip.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

Use some washers to fix the rear camber. won't take much to get it within spec. Maybe 1/8" - 3/16" worth of washers behind the rear upper control arms.

And *DO NOT GET YOUR REAR TOE SET TO 0*. Looks like people aren't paying attention. This is fine for the front, but I'm assuming that you want input on your rear since thats what you posted a picture of... You will lose some straight line stability if you set it to 0.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:56 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you have the toe set at zero it levels out the tire back to if it was at stock hight. Do that and youll me more then fine for this trip. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm... maybe I am misunderstanding this, but then whats a camber kit good for, if you can just set toe to zero and fix the camber issue? I know I am missing something......dammit I feel stupid
Old 06-15-2004, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use some washers to fix the rear camber. won't take much to get it within spec. Maybe 1/8" - 3/16" worth of washers behind the rear upper control arms.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I already have two washer thick and I think if I put any more it will make the tires rub on the fenders. They already were under moderate cornering until I pushed the inner fender lip up a bit.

I am pretty new to the camber,caster, toe issue. Do you think Les Schwab will dick me around if I take it to them?
Old 06-15-2004, 08:01 PM

Default Re: (dohcVTEChatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcVTEChatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hmm... maybe I am misunderstanding this, but then whats a camber kit good for, if you can just set toe to zero and fix the camber issue? I know I am missing something......dammit I feel stupid </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yah meng....what the use of cambers I have the same situation.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you have the toe set at zero it levels out the tire back to if it was at stock hight. Do that and youll me more then fine for this trip. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is confusing to me and it appears at least one other person as well. If the toe (adjusting the tie rods I assume) has an affect on vertical straightness then what is the need for adjustable upper control arms?
Old 06-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad is it? (big pics). (EKhatch)

Maybe I will just take it in to see what the tire shop can do for me and then if my tires are bald wen I get to were I am going I will just have to buy some new ones.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad is it? (EKhatch)

i got same problem with my rear right tire. it looks uglee has hell, imma buy new tires before i get that 70 dollar alignment.
i think i've driven about 1-2k miles already. no problems so far but it does look gross
Old 06-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the pic of my car in my sig..i just got done driving 1500 miles round trip to vanc. wa, no wear at all, its all in the toe, mine is at 1.2 degrees toe in.

oh and i do not have a camber kit, coilovers all the way down, and tires with 280 wear rating.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I already have two washer thick and I think if I put any more it will make the tires rub on the fenders. They already were under moderate cornering until I pushed the inner fender lip up a bit.

I am pretty new to the camber,caster, toe issue. Do you think Les Schwab will dick me around if I take it to them? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is your car slammed? How much did you lower it? Never heard of Les Schwab, don't have them on this side of the continent
Old 06-15-2004, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought that toe in or out was measured in increments of inches not in degrees????
Old 06-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it were measured in inches, at what point would you measure it??
Old 06-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2thousandcivic)

your definitly fine man. i drove to VA from Northern MD. Its about a 1 1/2 at 80-85mph, and my tires were so bad you guys will prolly says it was stupid.LOL PICS tommorrow i am to tired to post them now... But seriously your not looking to bad by the eye.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HybridHatchC1)

adjusting toe is mostly used when ur steering wheel is not totally centered, or thats thew way i was told my a mechanic at my work. and 2thousandcivic is right; its degrees not inches. it looks aight to me for a little strool. which reminds me, i need to align my bitch tomorrow at wk.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:20 PM

Default Re: (HybridHatchC1)

having your front toe out of spec will do more damage than having a high degree of camber.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=629839
Old 06-16-2004, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KiddEng)

Hey, thanks for all the input guys.

I am going to take it in today and get the toe set I guess. I hope the shop knows what to set it at. The front should go to 0deg and the back to 1deg or something but not 0deg?

I just got the Omni-Power coilovers and I just lowered it until I thought it looked good as far as the fender well gap was so I am not sure how much lower it is than stock height.

Hopefully the shop won't charge me fora full alignment since the car really isn't adjustable for anything beside the tie rods?
Old 06-16-2004, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally wouldnt drive my car long like that. Youre not at the track so you have no need to ride on a camber setting like that. Sure setting the toe to 0 will slow down the wear, but a tire with a sever=/- camber will wear a tire faster than a car with a slight =/- or even 0 camber. Anyone who says that camber doesnt affect tire wear is full of it. Drive a camberd out car arround for 10 minutes and measure the temp of the tire on the inside tread, outside tread, and center tread and theres youre proof. Hotter on the inside because there is more friction there. More firction = more wear.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:57 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

camber and toe are totally different! fixing one does not solve the other, it may only create a different problem. if ur that worried buy a camber kit or just raise the thing up some more.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jaedaEG)

well, I am currently dropped around 2 inches, no camber kit, and in the rear I have 2.6* of negative camber.

I got an alignment done, and the toe was set very close to zero. My tire's treadwear rating is 300. I have put on 12 thousand miles since the lowering, and the inside of the tire is slightly more worn than the outside, but I had it measure and it was only 1/32" lower.

Camber wears tires on the inside, it is obvious b/c more weight is put on less of the tire, but it doesnt matter as much as the tire rolling straight down the road instead of scrubbing sideways when your toe is fucked.

Quick Reply: Now bad is it? (big pics).