Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Notorious Window problem..

Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notorious Window problem..

So, I plan to put a permanent fix to this problem...

Is it just simply replacing the window regulator?

I believe mine may be bent, i have tried cleaning the track and spraying silicon lubricant and it works for a month or two, but i have tinted windows in the front, and it is starting to ruin it..

If it is just replacing the window regulator, is there any DIY's on it?

thanks in advance..
Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Notorious Window problem..

is the window falling out of place.. then yes !
i had same problem and i changed the regulator when you get your new one you will notice how straight the piece is compared to the old one.. for some reason they tend to tweak a little under the stress of rolling the window up and down..
>i also wished i changed the whole rubber lining that runs the sill of the door to make for a great fix
as far as DIY.. you take the screws out of the interior , once that has popped of you take the inside triangle away from the mirror, then undo the bolts that hold the glass in, take the glass out, then undue remaing bolts that hold regulator in, wiggle it out the side of door (there are large holes) then put new one in and do reverse.. its not a hard job but sometime is a pain by yourself

Good luck
Old 03-01-2011, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I absolutely HATE this...I'm to the point where I've fixed it so many times I only roll my window down no more than 75% or else it will probably be a cold ride home haha. Last time it happened to me at about 2 in the morning 30 minutes from home, probably about 20 degrees out.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Working in the door is a huge pain in the ***... I've helped my brother put the glass back on the track multiple times back when he was the owner. Thank God I've never had to touch any of the power window stuff yet since I got the car.

Originally Posted by th3soldier
Last time it happened to me at about 2 in the morning 30 minutes from home, probably about 20 degrees out.
Be thankful it was 30 minutes. My brother has driven several hours in the winter with snow falling and blowing into the car. He was so pissed when he got home.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by amej8
Be thankful it was 30 minutes. My brother has driven several hours in the winter with snow falling and blowing into the car. He was so pissed when he got home.
Yeah, I guess I should be thankful, especially since it didn't rain until a few hours after i fixed it.

And did it ruin his interior at all? If it was blowing in I'm sure he got pretty wet.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's just water. Stuff was wet but nothing got ruined. He was so cold when he came home lol.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

At least he didn't slide into off the road or into ditch or something, then he would have a slightly bigger problem...lol.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:27 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

This happens to me multiple times a year and I hate it. IT ALWAYS HAPPENS RIGHT WHEN IT'S ABOUT TO RAIN! I replaced my regulator after teeth on it bent and I still need to replace the weatherstripping there but that's another problem (the last owner destroyed it to fix this ever occurring issue). Window always pops off the track and falls forward into the door. Always need to pull the damn panel off, pull the track off and reset it, then spend AN HOUR, trying to reset the panel onto the door correctly.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its really simple you just have to jump into it. Once you get it opened up and look at it you will see. I just did both mine on my hatch and both of em on the wifes coupe. Just make sure when your swapping the motors over you make sure that the motor is completely set into the teeth, otherwise youll be like me and be running back to the auto parts store to buy another one. And another problem i had was the auto parts stores trying to tell me they dint sell the window regulators without the motors. Which is about a 100 dollar diff but thats not true if they try to tell you that tell em to look harder. And as always after you get everything but back in spray down the rubber tracks with some graphite spray. It will save you from having to do this so often.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My window hasn't fallen completely out of place yet. Its just stuck on the weather stripping down by the mirror. So it doesn't seal all the way.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nevermind. Took the door panel off and it was off the track. Put it back on and it still won't seal up by the mirror all the way. Anyone have any idea why?
Old 03-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure if im picturing exactly what your problem is. But your regulator may be bent and not allowing it to push all the way back up in there to seal. Alot of times when the windows fall off the track and you keep rollin it up and down without fixing the issue it will tweak the regulator a little bit. Not sure if this could be your prob but its some food for thought
Old 03-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The regulators have nylon wheels in them these little wheels wearout, become lose, split, bind, or completely break appart. When this happens the force of rolling up the window binds and bends the regulator arm and the only fix is to replace the regulator trying to straighten it is only a temp fix
Old 03-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, Honda really dropped the ball with these. I've replaced both of mine and all of the symptoms went away and they've been cool for the past couple of years. I think replacing them would be your best bet.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My regulator bent and it broke the pin clean out of the roller ball. They arent hard to change, but its not fun. There is two bolts holding the regulator to the window, and five bolts, I believe, that hold the regulator to the door. When you get it all together ensure you grease up the tracks, and the regulator, and roll it up and down a few times. Make sure the tracks are still perfectly lined up.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=14777&highlight=

DIY with PICS:Bracing the window regulator at the stress point.
Looks pretty easy. But if its just wear on the roller ***** won't this happen no matter what? Will certain synthetic greases prolong life? Are the regulators you buy now off hondapartscheap.com a newer model that won't have the same problem?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd love to fix this problem permanently.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pulled my window apart today and I didn't see any bends in the regulator. I have electric windows so I'm guessing that little motor doesn't have enough power to bend that bar.

I put some grease on all the moving parts and it goes up and down without a problem now, but it still won't seal all the way at the top. But it's much better than what it was before.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hate this about my civic also. I carry a 10mm and a Philips in the trunk. Mine seems to pop out in the rain most often.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:26 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

In my experience with cars that have this problem, fix everything that's broken and keep everything maintained and the problem won't come back.

This means there's about a 95% or greater chance you NEED to replace (NOT repair!) that window regulator.

The tracks are really beefy. I doubt you'd manage to bend those.

The motors can wear out and bushings and teeth can wear out, usually in conjunction with that bad window regulator.

One you have it replaced, lubricate the tracks with silicone spray (NOT white lithium - it can eat rubber), then roll the window up and down repeatedly in order to spread it. Do this once a year or so, perhaps.

If your window begins to get difficult to roll up... Roll it up and LEAVE IT UP! Get in and inspect the damage/repair what needs to be when you have time (regulator, again) and don't risk having the window pop off track. Tape over the switches if you can't trust your friend(s) to keep their mitts off.

If your window already popped off track once... STOP ROLLING IT DOWN! Fix the problem by replacing the part. Just putting the glass back on the track is a temporary fix to keep water, leaves, bird ****, etc. out of your car. It will NOT fix the window issue beyond that.

Replacing the regulator with the proper tools at home is much, much easier than scrapping together just enough "tools" to pull your door panel off and put your window back on track when you're stuck in Frederica, DE at 2 in the morning on a Saturday night. In the middle of a torrential downpour, nonetheless.

Okay, this is all from memory so it might not be perfectly spot on since I haven't torn open a Civic door (or any door...) in about two or three years.
------------------------------------------
Open the door.

Remove the door armrest cup (screw in the bottom).

Remove the door handle bezel (there is a screw behind the handle).

Unplug the power options if applicable. Remove the window roller if applicable (there is a metal clip where the handle mates to the door card).

Remove any other screws (some might be covered by interior color matched caps).

Put your fingers under the bottom of the door card and pull. You'll hear the clips release. You might want to retrieve any left in the door and slide them back into the door card.

Carefully pull the vapor shield (the sheet of plastic) partially away from the car.

Here's the tough part, especially if you've waited until the glass basically does not move any longer). Plug the window switches back in if applicable/put the handle back on if applicable. Position the window in such a way that you can see the bolts holding it to the regulator through the holes in the door frame. Remove those bolts as a friend holds the glass.

Remove the glass and set it aside in a safe spot.

From this point there should be bolts holding the regulator into the door frame. I can't remember exactly where these are as I haven't removed a regulator in about five years. I have faith that at this point you can probably figure out what needs to be removed to pull that regulator out.

The regulator will come through the largest hole in the bottom of the door frame. Don't force it. It should come out nice and easy.

The repair is the opposite, of course.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:29 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I should also mention that I've done this repair on a 6G EX coupe (power windows) and a 6G CX hatch (manual windows). The regulator issue can happen in either power or manual window equipped cars. The manual windows can probably manage to have more damage done though, since people will probably strain and not give out as soon as that little motor will.

I didn't have the EX for much longer after I made the repair (I wrecked it), but the CX we kept for several more years (3, at least). The CX was repaired by doing a power door conversion on it even.

Don't think that going to manual windows will make this never happen to you. Don't think that having manual windows will make this never happen to you. That CX regulator was bent so badly it barely came out of the door frame. It didn't lay on the floor anything remotely resembling flat. It was just about U-shaped.