Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   noticed small possible leak...is it my headgasket? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/noticed-small-possible-leak-my-headgasket-953627/)

hondaeg8 08-09-2004 01:19 PM

noticed small possible leak...is it my headgasket?

i just cleaned my motor and today after a drive, i poped the hood and looked at the motor. i noticed a line of what appears to be oil right over the block stamp. could that line of whatever it is be coming from the headgasket? it looks like it came straight down and right above the block stamp is the head. it was a very thin line and when i touched it, it seemed like it was oil, but i'm not sure. i did paint my motor with high heat aluminum paint, so that was on my hand also.

i do have an oil leak from the cam seal, but i have some paper there for now until i get my new cam seal tomorrow, so i know its not the oil from there. that leak is very small.

any ideas ?

hondaeg8 08-09-2004 04:31 PM

Re: noticed small possible leak...is it my headgasket? (hondaeg8)

https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

specv5150 08-09-2004 04:36 PM

Dont know if it helps but here were my symptoms

Car would overheat ont eh freeway after a ahrd pull (turbo)

Open hood...coolant overflow FULL and before I shut it down to fix, the overflwo was leaking a littel bit

Cylinder 4 has coolant leaking from where the head mates to the block

Compression was:

160, 180, 180, 180. I suspected a headgasket. So I decided to change the headgasket, thermostat, head gasket and do a flush before I put everything together

hondaeg8 08-09-2004 04:41 PM

i have none of those symptoms.

it was a very small amount of liquid. not to positive on what it is, either water or oil.

i need to look closer to see if i can see what it is and exactly where its coming from, but it has to be from the head i would think.

zad5 08-09-2004 04:43 PM

look up camshaft seal on honda-tech. see a picture of somone car and where its leaking most likely its ur cam shaft seal or valve cover gasket and not somehthing major like a head gasket. does your car overheat?

specv5150 08-09-2004 04:44 PM

smell it. Water, oil, paint and coolant have distinctly different smells.....

ej1 pilot 08-09-2004 04:44 PM

Re: (zad5)

valve cover gasket

hondaeg8 08-09-2004 04:52 PM

Re: (Art In Motion)

i just replaced the valve cover gasket, so its not that. the leak didn't look to be coming from that high up.

the cam seal...yes it has a very SMALL leak, but i just put a paper towel under it before i left for work so no oil will leak on the motor. the oil would leak on the paper towel. from where there seems to be a leak, from above the block stamp, i don't see how oil from the cam seal would have gotten there with the paper towel right under the cam seal.

my car doesn't overheat either.

since there was very little of the liquid, i couldn't smell it. when i touched it with my finger, paint came off also.

i was just driving normal on the way to work. so i guess when i go home, i'll hit vtec a couple of times and see if it leaks more i guess.

IVI 08-09-2004 05:21 PM

Re: (hondaeg8)

probably a cam seal.

hondaeg8 08-09-2004 05:26 PM

Re: (IVI)

don't know....

there wasn't any oil on the paper towel when i looked at it.

zad5 08-09-2004 06:08 PM

if the car isnt over heating then your head gasket isnt gone. dont go off but i suggest cleaning the motor up and check to see where its leaking either from the camshaft seal and valve cover gasket. or maybe take a picture of your engine bay.

hondaeg8 08-09-2004 06:41 PM

i just cleaned the motor and painted the block. thats how i saw the leak.