Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Notchy feeling gas pedal.. 99 Si

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notchy feeling gas pedal.. 99 Si

Hi I recently picked up a 99 Si that's mostly stock still (luckily) and i'm trying to restore as much as I can little by little.. I noticed the gas pedal has a notchy, sticking feeling.. It dosn't depress smoothly if that makes any sense..

Is there something I can do to make it smooth again or is this something where I need to buy a new throttle cable?
Old 07-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Notchy feeling gas pedal.. 99 Si

lubricate the pedal with wd-40 and make sure your throttle plate inside the throttle body isn't sticking.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruben19
lubricate the pedal with wd-40 and make sure your throttle plate inside the throttle body isn't sticking.
lube the throttle spring with some white lithium

pull back the rubber cover on the throttle cable and lube it as well

then take off your intake arm and clean the throttle plate and throttle body with throttle body/carb cleaner.

that should fix it
Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the tips, will get to work tomorrow on this and report back with results!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no problem
Old 07-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

You've been given some good suggestions. I'll be interested to know if you find the fix. I've also read that, in some cases, the throttle cable must be replaced to eliminate a notchy feeling throttle pedal. I think you can buy the cable at Majestic for $35-$40, although you only want to try this if the other suggestions don't work.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welps, the lithium grease and WD40 semeed like it helped for a day.. but it was also a hot day so things could have been a little looser and I thought we got it feeling a bit better but during a cooler morning otw to work, pedal still notchy and it makes the car buck due to going from a light pedal to half throttle.

Sounds like i'm going to have do what RonJ suggested and order in a new throttle-cable to fix the issue.

I've heard of people recommending a Type R throttle cable? Is there a reason? Better made?
Old 07-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

no difference in throttle cables, only bragging rights. You could claim you used an ITR cable and use one for your car and no one would know the difference.

Unfortunately throttle cables are easy to bend accidentally, once kinked they never come back.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Relic1
no difference in throttle cables, only bragging rights. You could claim you used an ITR cable and use one for your car and no one would know the difference.

Unfortunately throttle cables are easy to bend accidentally, once kinked they never come back.
Bragging rights? lol.. That's what I thought, a throttle cable is a throttle cable. Silly ricers.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Diversion
the lithium grease and WD40 semeed like it helped for a day.. but it was also a hot day so things could have been a little looser and I thought we got it feeling a bit better but during a cooler morning otw to work, pedal still notchy and it makes the car buck due to going from a light pedal to half throttle.
Did you also try cleaning the throttle body? Sometimes gunk that can build up in there will prevent the throttle plate from moving freely.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Did you also try cleaning the throttle body? Sometimes gunk that can build up in there will prevent the throttle plate from moving freely.
Called me out! No, I actually didn't do that.. I did buy some carb cleaner.. I was just too lazy to remove the intake and clean it out. I did open and close the throttle plate and it felt pretty normal and smooth.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, I actually didn't do that.. I did buy some carb cleaner.. I was just too lazy to remove the intake and clean it out. I did open and close the throttle plate and it felt pretty normal and smooth.
A thorough cleaning of the TB may be worth trying before purchasing a new throttle cable.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
A thorough cleaning of the TB may be worth trying before purchasing a new throttle cable.
Point taken, will be cleaning the tbody tomorrow morning and will report back..
Old 07-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cleaned the TB really well (emptied a brand new can of carb cleaner on it) and I believe it might have helped a tad.. but the overall stiff/stuck feeling of the pedal comes and goes.. definately sticks more when it's cooler outside.. I guess i'm left with replacing the throttle cable completely now.

I assume a new throttle cable comes pre-greased?
Old 08-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I finally got around to ordering a brand new throttle cable from Majestic, it came in last week and on Thursday I installed it onto my Si.

The new cable looked completely different (assuming maybe improved), had a longer rubber end and different metal shaped pieces.

It FIXED my notchy pedal issue 100%.. The car drives so much better now.. it feels like a new car almost! I'm expecting to see better MPG due to smoother throttling going through the gears instead of over-revving out of 1st gear (pedal always stuck badly when trying to ease out in 1st gear).

So, for $17 - highly recommended if you have any doubts in your old, crusty throttle cable - the new one comes pre-greased and ready to be installed the moment it arrives to your door.

Regards,

Div
Old 10-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I finally got around to ordering a brand new throttle cable from Majestic, it came in last week and on Thursday I installed it onto my Si.

The new cable looked completely different (assuming maybe improved), had a longer rubber end and different metal shaped pieces.

It FIXED my notchy pedal issue 100%.. The car drives so much better now.. it feels like a new car almost! I'm expecting to see better MPG due to smoother throttling going through the gears instead of over-revving out of 1st gear (pedal always stuck badly when trying to ease out in 1st gear).

So, for $17 - highly recommended if you have any doubts in your old, crusty throttle cable - the new one comes pre-greased and ready to be installed the moment it arrives to your door.

Regards,

Div
I went to hondaautomotiveparts like you said but i cannot find the part for the price you said. Can someone point out to me what it is suppose to be under and the number of the part on the diagram?