Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Not uplugging battery during steering wheel swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 10:58 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not uplugging battery during steering wheel swap?

Just curious,
i'm swaping my interiors currently,
and i'm wondering,
if I dont disconnect the positive/negative on my battery, like it says in the manual
(for removal of the SRS steering wheel specifically) can it cause any sort of damage?
I dont mean like the airbag deploying, rule that out.

just curious cuz I finished swaping stuff into one of my hatches,
and now it sounds ALL fucked up when I try to run it..
and when I turn the power on to the car(without going as far as to start the engine)
I can hear a buzzing noise.. either from the ecu area, or right front speaker(no speaker installed tho).

a lil worried cuz my other hatch(the one i actually drive cuz its not crashed!) is in the midst of interior swap stuff.. but I've got the battery hookd up still..
I can go unplug it but i'd have to walk a block to my car so I want to find out for sure.. i'm ****** tired. and pissed.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Not uplugging battery during steering wheel swap? (Tad)

I've swapped out quite a few steering wheels and never disconnected the battery. Nothing ever happened and all of the cars still run great.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

ok cool sounds good.

well the what in the F*CK happened to my car?!

... well I had my air filter off for alittle.. so I probably ingested something into my engine..
sweet.. I just spent the last countless freakin hours swapping 2 interior so I could sell the damn thing and make some money back after crashing it... but nope.. its toast..

sweet.. life rules
Old 05-02-2004, 06:25 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn man that sucks really bad.

Still if i ever mess with ym steering wheel i'll be disconnecting my battery.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Usdmdc2)

yeah,
actually I did disconnect it(i try to follow the helms fairly well actually).

but then I got it back and and hooked the battery up...

then I had to take it off again.. and didnt unhook the battery.. heh.
i dont know that the battery was the problem tho

it doesnt say anything about unhooking it when you do a dash swap.. and thats what i did
Old 05-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Tad)

I have and havent disconnected the battery, There is a SLIGHT possiblilty something could happen, but i have never even heard of anything happening. Sounds like you most like screwed something up....
Old 05-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Calculator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Calculator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have and havent disconnected the battery, There is a SLIGHT possiblilty something could happen, but i have never even heard of anything happening. Sounds like you most like screwed something up....</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm, ok,
well what is the slight possibility then?
like theres a slight chance that what could happen?

a short or some ****??

basically I just want to know if what COULD happen, woudl be something like my problem.. or just an airbag going off in yer face
Old 05-02-2004, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

most likely if something went wrong, the biggest problem may be blowing an airbag, and shorting the srs unit.

First off what did you swap into the hatch?

you would have to give me descriptions of whats going on.......

You turn the wheel and it sounds all fucked up............. like? plastic rubbing? wires shorting? Are you POSITIVE you put ALL the correct parts in the correct places in the steering wheel? SRS reel damaged? SRS Reel is that big black round box behind the wheel with most likely SRS yellow sticker on it. Dont damage it! lol

Buzzing noise? from right front area.........like you didnt attach all the screw in proper places? Is you blower motor on with leafs in it?

It would be alot easier if I was there. I have to remedy all these rattle complaints at my dealer all the time.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not uplugging battery during steering wheel swap? (Tad)

you swap dashes perhaps?

youve go the one fan in the front right, and the blend door is like center right i think....taht buzzes too
Old 05-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

shti man, i wish you were here..

i've done quite a bit of car work.. but when it comes down to it, i'm still a rookie.
I suck at diagnosing problems.

basically the car is a 93 dx hatch,
with black interior,
I swapped the black for a gray interior from a 92cx,
I wanted to swap my adjustable steering column from the dx into the cx(the cx is my driver, the dx needs bodywork).
so I did that, but then I realized that I just swapped the ignition too(so the keys are all confused), so I swapped the steering columns back.

so currently the dx has the gray interior from a cx, with the adjustable dx steeringcolum in it.

Now I just went and started up the car again,
checked all my hoses'n stuff... put that air filter on, reset the ecu.
It seems to run ok actually,
sortof.. it started up really harsh at first, and sometimes takes acouple triest to start..
there is a noise coming from the engine bay actually, it sounds like a distributor when its bearing goes out, kindof a screaching. but the sound comes from the right, kind of by the tranny/axle.

Inside the cockpit there is that buzzing noise too, hard to tell, might be the same noise just baffled cuz you're inside, but it sounds like it could be somethin fan related..

but yes I swapped dashes,
not sure what fans/doors i've got, but it is a civic hatch, 93 with a 92 dash..

OH one more thing, the 92 dash was from a car with AC, and this one doesnt have AC.. if that affects anything?

thanaaaaaaaanxxx...
Old 05-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shti man, i wish you were here..

i've done quite a bit of car work.. but when it comes down to it, i'm still a rookie.
I suck at diagnosing problems.

basically the car is a 93 dx hatch,
with black interior,
I swapped the black for a gray interior from a 92cx,
I wanted to swap my adjustable steering column from the dx into the cx(the cx is my driver, the dx needs bodywork).
so I did that, but then I realized that I just swapped the ignition too(so the keys are all confused), so I swapped the steering columns back.

so currently the dx has the gray interior from a cx, with the adjustable dx steeringcolum in it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

So DX=CX dash with DX steering column......easy enough.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Now I just went and started up the car again,
checked all my hoses'n stuff... put that air filter on, reset the ecu.
It seems to run ok actually,
sortof.. it started up really harsh at first, and sometimes takes acouple triest to start..
there is a noise coming from the engine bay actually, it sounds like a distributor when its bearing goes out, kindof a screaching. but the sound comes from the right, kind of by the tranny/axle.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Without being there kinda hard......but your best bet would take a screwdriver, a long one. Put the plastic end of it againest your ear......then with the driver end of it, put it againest the distributor, tranny etc until you find where the noise is loudest. If you find it, try to verify it by having someone else doing the same.

Could be from what you said. Distributor, clutch, throwout bearing, transmission.....starter staying on.......

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Inside the cockpit there is that buzzing noise too, hard to tell, might be the same noise just baffled cuz you're inside, but it sounds like it could be somethin fan related..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Turn off the heater/blower motor fan to make sure it isnt the fan, if your heater is off, then it isnt it.

OH one more thing, the 92 dash was from a car with AC, and this one doesnt have AC.. if that affects anything?

thanaaaaaaaanxxx...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That doesnt matter...

Good luck and let us know

P.S. so there is no noise while turning the wheel?
Old 05-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i didnt disconnect it
Old 05-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dunkd)

alrighty,
when turning the wheel,
its turns smooth, wheels turn, lock to lock.. no resistance,
I mean.. if I turn the car off, and listen real good, when turning the wheel it kinda sounds like a verry faint paper dragging sound.. but its really minior.. mighta sounded like that in the first place before I even started monkeying around.. i duno.
I get no CEL's, the SRS light comes on at startup and goes off in a few seconds..

Now I do have another question,
when I swapped the steering columns,
I just removed just this one bolt and yanked everything from then on up out(unplugging all the wiring of course) then just stuck it back in.. anything wrong with that?
Old 05-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you didnt even take the steering wheel off separately?

Never have replaced a column, but I am guessing that would be the easiest.......if proper....

Maybe TOM the moderator could chime into that, as I beleive he swapped his CX for a adjustible tilt version.

P.S. I dont think I would worry about the turning when car is off problem too much. you could go and check to see that wiring or anything isnt caught on the column and pulling it around.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Calculator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Calculator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you didnt even take the steering wheel off separately?

Never have replaced a column, but I am guessing that would be the easiest.......if proper....

Maybe TOM the moderator could chime into that, as I beleive he swapped his CX for a adjustible tilt version.

P.S. I dont think I would worry about the turning when car is off problem too much. you could go and check to see that wiring or anything isnt caught on the column and pulling it around. </TD></TR></TABLE>

nah I pulled the steering wheel,
per the helms instructions, the srs reel is fine, all the wiring seems fine so I think i'm cool in thatrespect.

man i'm friggin stumped! I dont see how the heck I could have busted something in the engine bay.. when I was working no where near it!

i'll throw tom a pm, cuz that is exactly what I was trying to do,
only reason I didnt go all the way was that swapping the key ignition would have been too much of a PITA. I guess its not that tough if the column is your only concern.. but dealing with full interior swaps also is a bit much.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

up 4 day #2
Old 05-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

aaaaaaaaah i think i figured it out..
the noise was my ******* exhaust rattling like all hell had broken loose...
hows HALF a heatshield sitting there unbolton on sound?? not good!! haha

plus my battery is oozing a buncha white ****..
not good..

but i think my steering/dash swap went ok actually, considering.