Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Not trying to rice out my car but...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not trying to rice out my car but...

A few weeks ago a moron who was at a complete stop pulled out from the turning lane into mine when I was going only 5 above the speed limit (rare!) of 50. Since I wasn't sure if it would be my fault for rear ending him, and because his car wasn't damaged, and because my license is suspended, I decided not to contact the authorities and we went on our merry ways.

Upon closer inspection I noticed there are a couple small bends in the frame, the bumper reinforcement is smushed funky on one side. Should I buy a new reinforcement bumper or just bend these parts back into shape at a body shop?

Anyway, I don't wanna be seen as the average ricer or anything, but I plan on repairing the damage by getting a body kit for the front end, some z3 fenders for the bent fenders, and carbon fiber hood for the crumpled paper style hood I currently have. The front bumper alone from Honda costs nearly as much as an entire body kit, which IMO looks better anyway. Is a body kit rice if you have a turbocharged engine? The body kits do have better airflow for intercoolers than OEM ones. The z3 fenders are also cheaper than the oem replacements. I guess the carbon fiber hood can't be considered rice since it does add to performance. Maybe I just don't know the correct description of "rice".

Also, when paint is bought from the factory, how much do they give you? I see you can buy the paint for about 3-4 bucks, but doesn't say how much of it.

Thanks!

Modified by Jorsher at 11:51 PM 9/3/2004
Old 09-03-2004, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Not trying to rice out my car but... (Jorsher)

Old 09-03-2004, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not trying to rice out my car but... (b18bcivic)

lol what's that mean?

Also, noob question, why does my puny non-vtec d15 in the sol seem to suddenly increase in power once I get around 4000 rpm? I know honda engines get a lot of their power from the higher rpms, but why would it seem so sudden instead of a gradual increase?

Oh and B18, I also love teh THC am making love with it now
Old 09-03-2004, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no offense but.......
bodykit+z3 fenders= rice....and carbon fiber does not incereas performance...it just takes a little weight off of your car...not much
Old 09-03-2004, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not trying to rice out my car but... (96ls)

yes I didn't mean to make it sound like it makes your car more powerful, just that it's performance is made a little better
Old 09-03-2004, 10:54 PM

I say go for it as long as the parts flow well and don't make the car look silly. If you like it, do it, don't worry about what other people think.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Not trying to rice out my car but... (96ls)

try Certifit.com You should be able to get a fender for around $30..Bumper for under $70 and hood under $200. A good body shop will not try and repair your bumper support. Its a liability reason and that metal is tough and not worth the time to fix. Just Replace it with a new one.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:55 PM

Do whatever you think looks good. **** internet opinions. You want a meaningful opinion? Ask a friend
Old 09-03-2004, 10:59 PM

Search on ebay for the OEM bumpers! There are some reliable places on there that sell them, usually $100 shipped for front bumper and $100 shipped for rear bumper. When I bought my car, the front bumper had the grill cut out and that ricey chicken wire crap, and it was missing the rear bumper completely. I replaced those AND got a CTR lip for $300 total.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eh thanks for the answers, I was expecting a flame fest lol.

Yeah, my original idea was just to go with what I liked. I like the street fighter style body kit, but don't care too much for the z3 fenders since the vent offers no purpose other than looks. I didn't want to make it look fast before it was fast, but I also don't want my car looking ugly (which it does right now ).

Thanks for the answers though. I'll buy a replacement reinforcement bumper once I'm sure it will fit with body kit over it.

I will also try that certifit place, thanks. Would prefer OEM fenders.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:19 AM

YES body kits are rice! Z3 fenders are rice!

"Is a body kit rice if you have a turbocharged engine?" Haha, lol, I don't care if you are runnin 12's, it would still be rice in my eyes!

"The body kits do have better airflow for intercoolers than OEM ones." Really, no ****! Yea um not really!

Just my .02

Jon
Old 09-04-2004, 12:04 PM

you shouldn't be driving without a license but anyways you can get brand new replacement fenders hood bumper for like 300. i'll get the 800 number for you but the company is in lynchburg va and its called HYLAND auto parts
Old 09-04-2004, 12:11 PM

Wrong place to ask for body kits, All tho they do make some tastefull kits, Stay oem fenders CF hood maybe a C west or something like that.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:21 PM

Default Re: (SlowGreenEJ)

if you like it screw what anyone thinks, even if they think its rice, do what you want

and btw if a 'riced out' car was running 12's, and it was faster than what you were running, that would mean a 'ricer' beat a 'racer', correct?

the ricer and racer **** is getting on my nerves, its stupid period just like labeling people.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VvPeachyvV)

body kits do not = rice. Stupid looking body kits = rice. z3 fenders FOR SURE are rice.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:43 PM

Default Re: (Ajax)

Personally, I hate rice and would never let z3 fenders or a body kit come near my car....but if thats what you like, then go for it, its your car. Its your opinion versuses their opinion so its more important that you pour your money into something that YOU want and not something that someone else wants. Either way, I stand by my statement I made earlier about searching on ebay. They have great things for body parts at great prices, just make sure you buy from a power seller who is reliable. You can get z3 fenders, jdm fenders, oem fenders, oem bumpers, body kit bumpers, etc etc....its endless, just search on ebay and your bound to find something. (ebay is filled with ricey body kits ) gl with what you do
Old 09-04-2004, 12:51 PM

Default Re: (Chris M)

As long as the body kit isnt too extreme flaring it's fine. Z3 fenders are just gay though so look for some oem replacement ones on ebay or something.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (JamesQ)

It is only rice if you think its rice. If you like what kit you get then who gives a **** what others think. Get a kit if you want, just be careful on clearence because some kits are lower then the stock bumper, sides, and rear bumper. If you like it get it and **** what everyone else says.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Not trying to rice out my car but... (MulletManRockStar)

i got my hood for $50 and each fender for $30 from certifit.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol yeah, I decided I will do the body kit. But no to the z3 fenders. I have never really cared for them, mostly because the vents have no purpose, which I can't stand FAKE ****. Thanks for the replies. Especially for the tip about certifit.com
Old 09-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jorsher)

Just buy used replacement parts y0! say no to a body kit!
Old 09-05-2004, 05:12 PM
foz

Default Re: (Jorsher)

Z3 fenders are mid phat yo... on a BMW z3 on a HOnda they are mad GHEY
Old 09-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (foz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSiRracer69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Stay oem fenders CF hood maybe a C west or something like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I agree.

my car came with Z3 fenders, I get flamed everywhere I go. I hate them.
But id rather go fast first.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:11 PM

Just do what you want.
after i got my engine swap my apexi body kit is ready..

about the air flow. hell my temp raise above 60% all the time.. after i got a air tube installed now it didnt pass that often.

about CF hood, well, if you call 20lb off is not a performance gain, then what is?
Old 09-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This wasnt the accident in your other thread was it? Anyways;

You can get aftermarket bumpers from the web, or at local stores like Napa, Acme Auto, AutoZone, PepBoys etc etc for pretty cheap compared to OEM Honda. I would only go to Honda for big pieces of the car (like my trunk lid).
Granted Z3 fenders are a lot cheaper than OEM or even Aftermarket. I think Z3's run tops $150-175 for a metal set, and OEM / Aftermarket can run the same a side.

If you are really on a budget, you could get the metal Z3's (better fit and durability) and glass the holes in. Sort of the nickel and dime way.

This is of course you dont like the look of them, Im not driving this car, you are so pick what you like and say whate ever to everyone else.
Personally I think RICE is an impractical / unfunctional / blatently tastless modfication to a car.

In the end if you like a certain body kit, get it. Just do your best to keep the lines of the car.

Hope that helped.

Quick Reply: Not trying to rice out my car but...