Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is this normal for a stock-replacement exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this normal for a stock-replacement exhaust?

I am having trouble with my NAPA exhaust B-pipe. I have a 99 civic EX with manual transmission. When I started my car and started to drive it, i thought something was wrong with my transmission. THen I started to think the exhaust pipe was too close. so i kinda tapped my shifter down and it hit the pipe.

I took a picture of the exhaust system right after i put it on the car. I just took a look at it and it seems like the resinator is too close too the front as well as the exhaust pipe is too close to the body of the car. THe reason y i say this is that:

1.) the shifter hits the pipe while driving over even the smallest bumps and
2.) the pounting rod is mounted on the bottom of the pipe, not the site like the stock one

Below is a picture to show you what im talking about; it is the new exhaust pipe installed.
Is this how aftermarket ones are made? or is it made wrong? im about to just takie it back and get one from honda. its not too much more than what i paid for this one.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my exhaust sits diff. than yours... it's not normal, no.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ke98248)

i didnt think so. i know the stock one i have has the supporting bar comming out of the side instead of the bottom. do you guys think napa will refund my money even after using it? i was first thinking something was wrong with my transmission because it shook when i was in gear but then i heard the clanging comming from the shifter area so i lifted the rubber seal that is around the bottom of the shifter(when u have ur console out) and heard that its hitting right at the shifter
Old 05-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (imadigitalgod)

When you buy something, you are legally protected against something that you buy, as there's a " ... of merchantability". If it doesn't work as it was advertised, try to return it.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:41 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (imadigitalgod)

"Holy rusted shift linkage Batman!"

I think with a breaker bar and some leverage you could bend the hanger enough out of the way that it wouldn't hit.

I'm sure a little extra room down there is all you need.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"Holy rusted shift linkage Batman!"

I think with a breaker bar and some leverage you could bend the hanger enough out of the way that it wouldn't hit.

I'm sure a little extra room down there is all you need.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont want to have to bend anything to try to make it fit. ill try to take it back and just get one from honda. the mounting bar thats welded to it is in the worng position.

also the resinator is too far up front too