Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Noobs first ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noobs first ride

Hey, i couldnt find a noob forum to post this so i figure i might as well post this here.

Anyway. My names Ryan, I got my first car for graduation, its a 94 Civic Hatchback. Its been in the family since it was new. Previously my moms. She upgraded to a Fit (xD ugly). So yeah, now i get this. i found the site by searching for tutrials on rear seat removal. Lucky me i found it here, plus lots of other great things. Ok, about the car.

Its a 94 as stated above, so that makes it a EG i think...or G4?

Things done:
Engine swap - my mom blew the old engine from bad maintainance(i was the only one to change the oil ever in it, poor thing) so she had a new one imported from japan, its a 1.5l, same thing, but ive noticed it contained brackets that others dont...it seems like it has space and components for a turbo? il take pics later.

the rear wheel wells have civic rust., stock rims/breaks

I put a pioneer headunit and 6 1/2 4way pioneers in the front.
51/2 3way pioneers in the back.
and in the trunk im flushmounting 2 12in subs in the spare tire well.
I noticed that i have the fuse for the moonroof or sunroof or whatever installed, i didnt even know it was an option 0.o. so yeah, my main goal for this car isnt speed, I want it to sound nice and to look decent...not with a ricer bodykit...just like a lip kit. and possibly stage 1 upgrades, like an air ram, new wires and lines....the basics. this past weekend i purchased 2 cheapassed vynal racing seats from pepboys...they are from 3a racing...black. So im ging to be installing them somtime in the next few days. Im 6'5 so i figured they would add some hight becuas eas it is, with the seat all the way back and me scrunching over, my head is kinda bent on the roof...and it messes up my hair ...so yeah, there it is...o yeah, Mom hit a rubbermaid trashcan and messed up the left front fender, so im going to have to have that replaced...:-/. and does anyone know why the cig lighter doesnt work! everything in the dash is fine, all the lights work...but the cig lighter doesnt get power....is it a commen honda problem? i need it to charge my psp when the gps is out.

Old 05-10-2006, 04:17 PM

ha, i have those 3a racing seats in my retired 89 integra, i was actually quite embarrased to have them, they were red. for the cig lighter, check the fuse or you might have to check the wiring. some wheels and a lip would set it off pretty nice. go on from there...good luck with the car
Old 05-10-2006, 04:29 PM

Default Re: (kinkyintegra)

Rear seat removal is E-Z! From the pics it looks pretty clean. Do you know if the swap has Vtec? Cant tell you much about the cig lighter, check the wires or sumthin. It looks to be in better condition for being than mine did when I got it.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noobs first ride (SkorchedAsh)

SECURITY!!!!!!!! Unless you like doing all this stuff for someone else...
http://www.vsracing.net/~suspended/index.html

Budget in around $500 for your alarm (~200 for a good unit, ~200 for a GOOD install, ~100 add-ons & misc). Budget more if you like your car. Do a HT search on "STOLEN" and you'll see what I mean...

A primer-paneled sleeper that's nearly impossible to steal would impress me more than a good-looking-n-loud-JDM-hella-VTAK-fast stolen vehicle.

Like I said, do this **** for yourself, not some MFer who's willing to risk jailtime for money or for "the rush" or for "just another hit". I don't care where you live. If you're gonna go around attracting attention to YOUR nice car, then spend the time and $$$ to keep it YOUR nice car. No more "Stolen Civic 5mi N of **** Creek" posts!!!!

Other than that, Sounds like some nice plans. Buy a Helm Inc. Service Manual so you don't have to rely on a bunch of pooberty-charged pimple poppers to answer your technical questions... (edit: a lot of them now a lot, but might not be able to tell you what you need to hear without sayin sumthin stoopid)
http://www.helminc.com

Security and Knowledge. It will save you a lot of time, $$$$, and frustration in the future.

Welcome to HT!!
JG
Old 05-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noobs first ride (JasonGhostz)

yea an alarm should be your very first investment. its the smartest thing you will probably ever buy for your car
Old 05-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Noobs first ride (dohcVTECeg2)

an alarm for sure man. you'll never know whats gonna happen. me...im being lazy right now and still havent installed an alarm in my car. not to smart but it wont be long till i put one in. safety first!
Old 05-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How could you say the fit is ugly?!?! i know its an opinion, but its a sexy car
Old 05-10-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Noobs first ride (99EeeKay)

SECURITY FIRST!!!!

you know, Lowjack, GPS tracking, retinal eye-scanning, 26 character password, 4 man SWAT team to watch your car whenever it's parked...ya know, the works
Old 05-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Noobs first ride (eXcelonTypeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eXcelonTypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SECURITY FIRST!!!!

you know, Lowjack, GPS tracking, retinal eye-scanning, 26 character password, 4 man SWAT team to watch your car whenever it's parked...ya know, the works </TD></TR></TABLE>

Weak Sauce
Damn
Old 05-11-2006, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Noobs first ride (dohcVTECeg2)

Thanks for the security advice, i was thinking an alarm would be cool...buut im gona hold off on it untill i can afford all the little extras like remote start, power windows, power locks....you know :-/. and as for questions

Non-Vtech...i pressured for a vtech but this was cheaper...i know, how stupid...save $400 lose like 40hp.

Its ANYTHING but clean...all the carpets are black from dirt, really new insulation and carpeting shoudl be put in...its so loud/ugly...im ashamed when i drive people...dog hair klinging to everything. But yeah....dont plan on a ricer, just somthing that feels nice/sounds nice/ and can get me a few looks.

And Yes, i think the FIt is UGLy...its like a stuby Chevy Aveo meets Toyota matrix!..or like an oversized smart car.

Checked the engine...1.6L not 1.5 and Whats wrong with the 3a seats? do they wrinkle or tear quick? or just look like ****?
Old 05-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkorchedAsh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the security advice, i was thinking an alarm would be cool...buut im gona hold off on it untill i can afford all the little extras like remote start, power windows, power locks....</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should actually buy one of the base-level alarms that can take additions. Buying the add-ons seperatly usually saves you money in the end and you can customize your alarm to fit your needs. Plus you can buy them seperatly if you're on a paycheck to paycheck.

Then invest in a garage.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noobs first ride (99EeeKay)

nice
Old 05-11-2006, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Noobs first ride (mwieczorek43)

I dont really see my civc as somthing that would be somthing people would want to steal? esp here in Fairfax county..its like the freakin beverly hills of the EC. I guess il do it. Anyone know of a good easy instal, cheap that can be hidden well?
Old 05-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't bother with bolt-on modifications to the engine. Lower it with some nice components, slap on a rear swaybar and enjoy the awesome gas mileage and reliability. The engine in it now won't provide much in the way of spunk, even if you pour $1000 of intake/header/exhaust/MSD/etc., so unless you're looking into nitrous oxide or a turbocharger, leave her be and go with your instinct to make a nice looking, nice sounding car that you can enjoy every day
Old 05-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noobs first ride (Archidictus)

yea i would get a alarm first, then lower it with some nice HX rims or something. good luck with it and welcome to HT
Old 05-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noobs first ride (MattsGreenEG)

Yeah, and don't post where you live or work either.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkorchedAsh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont really see my civc as somthing that would be somthing people would want to steal? esp here in Fairfax county..its like the freakin beverly hills of the EC.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well, I understand your point... to a degree. The fact is that while thieves are less likely to live in your area (at least, not car thieves), many are willing to make the trip to the target vehicle if they feel it's "worth the risk".

It doesn't matter where you live, what matters is where you leave your car. Since this is going to be a Daily Driven vehicle (by the sounds of things), you're gonna be leaving it in 7-11 parking lots, Movie Theater lots, Shopping Mall lots, Lots of different lots... not to mention the small risk of CARJACKING!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkorchedAsh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I guess il do it. Anyone know of a good easy instal, cheap that can be hidden well?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Check this link again...
http://www.vsracing.net/~suspended/index.html

Since you don't live near San Diego, suspendedHatch won't be able to help you out in-person. But your experience with your stereo and other stuff should help you here. He and "fcm" (and "`", and "JDM_Ej") can be found in the Audio/Security/Video Forum, and these guys KICK ***!!! Bring a hard-hat, because there will likely be so much going over your head, you might get hurt if you don't duck... Just keep reading and you'll learn... works for me!
https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum/27

Wow, 7 posts and no harshing on the "VTECH"... Good job, HT-ers!

GL and let us know...
JasonGhostz
Old 05-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DON'T WAIT A WEEK TO GET AN ALARM...
My CRX WAS STOLEN 6 DAYS after I bought it.

Old 05-12-2006, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Noobs first ride (Crazydave)

Ok, tomorrow im off to buy an alarm! just the basic, as cheap as i can get. I dont think its worth stealing...cough RUSt cough THIN PAINT cough DENTS cough.....but heck, you all are the Honda-tech dudes, im sure you know what your saying...
Old 05-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noobs first ride (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't bother with bolt-on modifications to the engine. Lower it with some nice components, slap on a rear swaybar and enjoy the awesome gas mileage and reliability. The engine in it now won't provide much in the way of spunk, even if you pour $1000 of intake/header/exhaust/MSD/etc., so unless you're looking into nitrous oxide or a turbocharger, leave her be and go with your instinct to make a nice looking, nice sounding car that you can enjoy every day </TD></TR></TABLE>

This man speaks the truth. Do suspension first, but DONT go cheap. I made the mistake on doing that to the first car I ever modified the suspension on. A lip will not hurt, and some 15" - 16" rims Good luck.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Noobs first ride (cambopheonix56)

lol, i get instant drop every time i get in...2in drop... im 6'5 260lbs...but yeah...i do need rims, i was thinking somthing along these lines....

Click here $400 for a 4set....not a bad deal i think. 16s btw.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good Job goin for the security early! If your friends ever give you ****, show them the # of results of a "Stolen Civic" search here at HT... They'll shut up real quick...

As far as control unit goes, try to find something with a lot of add-on capabilities. The Sensor Ports"are what will give you the flexibility you need. The more you have, the more detailed info your car can give when it's being F'd with. It is possible to splice in multiple sensors into a single line, but this might give you a the same signal for 2 different breaches...

The biggest factor should be quality, then flexibility. A cheap, quality-made unit that you can expect a lot of reliability from is much more important than a full-featured piece of crap. In fact, there are many Stand-Alone measures you can take that are just as effective, if not better than relying on your Alarm Unit. When all is said and done, you'll know exactly how YOUR Alarm works, how it got that way, and what it takes to get your car to start.

IMHO, Regarding the Performance Mods, I'm of the "From The Ground Up, Function Before Fashion" Camp. Put the car on rails first, THEN send it along the rails faster. SECURITY FIRST, then Upkeep/Maintenance/Restoration. Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Suspension/Chassis, Drivetrain, Powertrain, Body, Ice, in that order. This will be the order in which I work on my next "Project Car"... If I ever finish what I'm doing with this one...

Have a goal in mind with your car. What is it for? What types of driving surfaces will it typically see? Where will it be kept? I know you've already answered some of these questions. I just wanted to point out that the answers you give will guide you to what you actually buy and do to the car.

So, if your car sees a lot of potholes or dips or debris, then keep this in mind when buying your Tires & Wheels, as well as while driving. You will never parallel park the same after your first "****!" with your new Wheels. I'd be crazy to run anything smaller than a 40 Series Tire around my streets... Way too chopped-up. The key to wheels will be balancing size with weight. There are some lightweight 16's for a little more than what you mentioned. Check the Marketplace for more details (when you can). Other than that, if the Wheel Style complies with YOUR goals and they fit, then

Anyway, keep us in the loop and GL!
JasonGhostz
Old 05-13-2006, 05:43 PM

Installed the security...pepboys $20 kit.....il get better once the civics worth somthing.

Also, took out the rear seats and spent a few hours vacuming all the crevices...i yanked some wet potting soil out from under the spare.....no rust..thank god...also found some lego people, lol. o i took out the blower motor an cleaned that as well...it was full of twigs and sticks and doghair. so now the fans a little quieter. Next up, installing the ghetto racing seats...but thats a project for tomorrow!
Old 05-13-2006, 05:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkorchedAsh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Installed the security...pepboys $20 kit.....il get better once the civics worth somthing.

Also, took out the rear seats and spent a few hours vacuming all the crevices...i yanked some wet potting soil out from under the spare.....no rust..thank god...also found some lego people, lol. o i took out the blower motor an cleaned that as well...it was full of twigs and sticks and doghair. so now the fans a little quieter. Next up, installing the ghetto racing seats...but thats a project for tomorrow!</TD></TR></TABLE>

get a club and autolock and you'll be pretty safe for now..
Old 05-13-2006, 06:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JasonGhostz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good Job goin for the security early! If your friends ever give you ****, show them the # of results of a "Stolen Civic" search here at HT... They'll shut up real quick...

As far as control unit goes, try to find something with a lot of add-on capabilities. The Sensor Ports"are what will give you the flexibility you need. The more you have, the more detailed info your car can give when it's being F'd with. It is possible to splice in multiple sensors into a single line, but this might give you a the same signal for 2 different breaches...

The biggest factor should be quality, then flexibility. A cheap, quality-made unit that you can expect a lot of reliability from is much more important than a full-featured piece of crap. In fact, there are many Stand-Alone measures you can take that are just as effective, if not better than relying on your Alarm Unit. When all is said and done, you'll know exactly how YOUR Alarm works, how it got that way, and what it takes to get your car to start.

IMHO, Regarding the Performance Mods, I'm of the "From The Ground Up, Function Before Fashion" Camp. Put the car on rails first, THEN send it along the rails faster. SECURITY FIRST, then Upkeep/Maintenance/Restoration. Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Suspension/Chassis, Drivetrain, Powertrain, Body, Ice, in that order. This will be the order in which I work on my next "Project Car"... If I ever finish what I'm doing with this one...

Have a goal in mind with your car. What is it for? What types of driving surfaces will it typically see? Where will it be kept? I know you've already answered some of these questions. I just wanted to point out that the answers you give will guide you to what you actually buy and do to the car.

So, if your car sees a lot of potholes or dips or debris, then keep this in mind when buying your Tires & Wheels, as well as while driving. You will never parallel park the same after your first "****!" with your new Wheels. I'd be crazy to run anything smaller than a 40 Series Tire around my streets... Way too chopped-up. The key to wheels will be balancing size with weight. There are some lightweight 16's for a little more than what you mentioned. Check the Marketplace for more details (when you can). Other than that, if the Wheel Style complies with YOUR goals and they fit, then

Anyway, keep us in the loop and GL!
JasonGhostz</TD></TR></TABLE>

This mans post is very accurate. I dont disagree with one thing in it. In my opinion, definetly the route to do things. Good luck with your car man. And although you said it isnt "clean" by any means, the car is over 12 years old and sits through east coast snowy winters, beating summer sun..and you said yourself your mom took **** care of it. I'd expect much worse...so I actually think its not a bad car to start out with at ALL.

You also said you got it for graduation, so I would assume free! Thats a great deal if you ask me. Also in regards to you unsure about lowering and upgrading suspension since you said the car sinks down when you get in it. It could have something to do with the shocks being old and surely worn. If you upgrade to a nice progressive low rate spring...and a quality stiffer shock, you'll be surprised at how much it helps sagging.

Again, enjoy the car man. Set goals, read up..and you'll be VERY happy with your end result.

Modified by I Shot 50 Cent at 3:32 AM 5/14/2006

Quick Reply: Noobs first ride