Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Noobie With a quick question about, engine lagging?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noobie With a quick question about, engine lagging?

I just bout a '95 civic LX with an AT. Everything is stock.
This is my first Honda...

Sometimes when I accelerate from a stop the engine slowly creeps to ~3800 RPM the stays there for a few seconds then it climbs to ~4000 before it shifts. This seems to happen more with mild/harder pressure on the gas pedal. It happens now and then and when the engine is cold or hot. I'm guessing this a transmission problem but there's no power, stomping on the gas dosen't seem to do much when this happens.

Also it shifts hard is that normal for a Honda? I've driven mostly Toyotas in the past.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Noobie With a quick question about, engine lagging? (LostBoy04)

first put it in neutral or park and rev up the engine several times to see how healthly the motor is. if it can rev smoothly then more than likely all it is a trans problem then after that check to make sure you have fluid in the tranny. smell it to see if it is burnt some hondas take special trans fluid but if yours takes regular atf then check color. it should be red. if it is yellow like then all the detergents are gone out of it, if it is black then it is burnt and has alot of containments, if it is like a strawberry shake then the auto trans cooler on the raditor is leaking internally and coolant has been mixing with the trans fluid. if you are really intrested in finding the problem then pull the pan or drain plug out to check for metal particals. silver shavings is gear clash, and sparkley mush or goo is going to be clutch packs
I hope that helps you
Old 08-05-2007, 11:46 AM

My first post said ~3800 and 4000 RPM but that's wrong. It's supposed to be ~2800 and 3000 RPM.

I just bought this car from a Used Car Dealer a few days ago so all the fluids are new and full. The transmission uses motor oil lookin' stuff, no burnt smell and, the drain plug is on too tight. I can't check for metal in the transmission. The car drives fine usually just some times this happens. The transmission feels strong and doesn't slip. I don't hear any odd noises when I drive either.

Engine revs fine but it's beginning to make that clicking sound 'cause the valves. These engine don't usually make that click noise like older Toyotas right? Anyone know the clearance for a '95 civic? I'm guessing it's adjustable, I haven't opened the valve covers yet.

Modified by LostBoy04 at 1:56 PM 8/5/2007
Old 08-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LostBoy04)

did the car come with any type or warranty?

if so take the car to your local honda dealer and have them check it out, let them figure out whats wrong with it, get the quote on how much its gonna cost to fix whatevers wrong and then take it back to where you bought it and give them the bill. I got a new ignition switch, brakes, and tires on my civic when i bought it, acura even threw in a rental car CL 3.0 didnt cost a thing and all i had was a 30day warranty
Old 08-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Noobie With a quick question about, engine lagging? (LostBoy04)

alot of you honda manual trans use motor oil but the automatics dont so I would check and make sure that you have the right fluid in there first and if the valves are starting to make noise then that very well could be your problem just dont get them mixed up cause hondas do have somewhat of a valve tapping noise anyway but it is always good to check clearance if you are not sure if that is the case