Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

noobie with manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noobie with manual transmission

does "killing" your car hurt it? if yes, how? i went driving today and i killed my car four times trying to pull up on the inclined driveway. after that, i noticed that my a/c wasn't running anymore.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are u talking about stalling it?
Old 06-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: noobie with manual transmission (98_EK_HATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98_EK_HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does "killing" your car hurt it? if yes, how? i went driving today and i killed my car four times trying to pull up on the inclined driveway. after that, i noticed that my a/c wasn't running anymore. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's just coincidence. Your AC compressor engages and disengages through a clutch. Stalling your car makes certain components soak up torque, so it's not great for the engine, but it's not going to destroy it. Don't worry about it.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: noobie with manual transmission (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's just coincidence. Your AC compressor engages and disengages through a clutch. Stalling your car makes certain components soak up torque, so it's not great for the engine, but it's not going to destroy it. Don't worry about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

true dat, coincidence, totally different systems..

Ur not going to destroy your car, but stalling out isn't the best for the clutch..then again it's better for it than burning the clutch (holding the clutch too long) - you'll stall out quite a few times while learning how to adjust to a manula transmission, starting on hills, and starting in traffic, and all that ****, backing up uphill is hard to do w/o spinning the tires when u first start.. You'll stall out a bunch of times in the process of learning, but u wont' do any damage for awhile, u'll learn how to drive it normal before u mess anything up - takes awhile b4 that happens...

also, about ur AC, sometimes it takes a few seconds to kick on...basically it's an anti-burnout for ur compressor, see turning off a compressor and turning it on repeadidly will burn it out very very fast, so sometimes when u keep cutting the power (by stalling it out) it'll keep the compressor off for a "saftey" period until the car's back running for X ammount of time so that u don't burn out the ocmpressor by shutting it off and turning it back on fast like that..that's horrible for an AC compressor..

and u said ur havin a problem starting UP hill, here's a tip, don't be afraid to give it gas and let it the clutch like that, u'll roll back a bit, and if u let out the clutch too slowly u'll burn it, and if u let it out too fast u'll drop it, but it's better than the car stuttering because u didn't give it enough gas..I assume ur driving a civic, so when ur on a hill, put it up to about 2000 RPM's and let out the clutch - smoothly.. if you need any videos I can try and help u, but I can only show u with my GTI or Jetta b/c my civic's kinda totalled right now..
Old 06-23-2006, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (brick top)

yea i was talkin about stalling it. i started falling back on the incline so i guess it pressured me to drop the clutch. i ended up doing it four times in a row
Old 06-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (98_EK_HATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98_EK_HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea i was talkin about stalling it. i started falling back on the incline so i guess it pressured me to drop the clutch. i ended up doing it four times in a row</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't be afraid to engage the e-brake while you bring the revs up and then let it down slowly as you engage the clutch . It'll keep you from rolling backwards while you're figuring out the breaking point in your clutch. Eventually, you'll be comfortable enough that this won't happen, but until then do it the way I suggested and you shouldn't have to worry about it for a while

And Syndacate - I posted in your "intercooler" thread. And your name is spelled wrong