Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Noob Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Questions

Hey, I am new to upgrading and swaping out car part. I just got my 1996 Honda Civic HX Coupe a couple months ago and want to make it a little diffrent from your every day civic here in the US as well as give it more power.

I am leaning more towards JDM right now, but I want a Type-R Body Conversion kit and all I have been able to find is an SiR Body conversion kit. Does anyone know where I can find a Type-R?

Also on the performance side, I was originally thinkin about doin a GSR Engine swap to a B18C w/ OBD2. I actually have two questions on this:
1)Some guys I talked to said that I could get more power out of a Z-series engine or an LS (I'm not sure if the LS is right, but anyone who could set me straight on it I would appriciate it). Any suggestions on this?

2) I have done some reading on OBD1 and OBD2 and just can not figure out which would be better to go with. I know it diagnostics but i also know that if i get deep enough into my civic, then I will probably have an independent scanner to check the codes in the engine, so any suggestions or comments to enlighten me on this would also be greatly appriciated.

Even though I have looked into a few things, I know I am still very new to all of this and really would like someone to point me into the right direction. Also, anything done to my car I want to be 50-state street legal. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noob Questions (rtragan85)

Welcome, i know this doesn't answer all of your questions, but as far as getting more power with an Ls...I assume they were refering to if you built and boosted it. In that case, it's true they'll be pretty fast when you boost them....but if oyu're talking bone stock, then the B18C would be better and with vtec.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OBD1 is better. Much better tuning options, and you can scan your codes with a jumper wire.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: (pcupo12)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pcupo12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OBD1 is better. Much better tuning options, and you can scan your codes with a jumper wire.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can check your codes with obd2 also.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackBeastEK)

Engine-wise, it depends what you wanna do with your car. If you daily drive or your gonna auto-X, than I would get a LS in my opinion. But if your gonna be drag racing or street ricing, than get a B18C1
Old 10-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rtragan85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> 1)Some guys I talked to said that I could get more power out of a Z-series engine or an LS (I'm not sure if the LS is right, but anyone who could set me straight on it I would appriciate it). Any suggestions on this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

... someone correct me if im wrong, but isn't the Z-series engines used for mini bikes/ dirt bikes? better hope you've got a rocket pullin you if you go Z-Series.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Noob Questions (fatpride111)

hes got an hx thats obd-2 the guy was probably referring to d16z6 which i heard is much easier to boost because its obd-1
Old 10-20-2007, 03:50 PM

Thanks a whole lot guys, you have given me more to look into and more to think about. The only thing i didn't see anyone refer to was my question about a type-r body conversion kit. does anyone know where i can get one of those or some good places to look for it?
Old 10-20-2007, 07:22 PM

Generation wise- Most use OBD1 because its easier to tune on and yeilds good results

Motor Wise- a GSR will have a lot more potiential than an ls. Boost or N/A

good luck man!