Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

noob questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob questions

noob questions.
have rear wheel drive conversions been done on civics/del sols??
about how much would one cost??
obviously its not that easy but on a scale of 1-10 how hard would it be??
sorry for noob quetions, but i have friends who want to know.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:17 PM

Default Re: noob questions (Wonk Unit)

1. yes theyve been done.
2. depends on the motor/axles/suspension/etc used, but its a lot and not worth it.
3. its about a 10, the fabrication needed is on a professional level.

if you really want a rear wheel drive car its more cost effective to just buy an s2k than to convert a civic to rwd.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: noob questions (Wonk Unit)

scale of 1-10 its a 10. I have seen one with a 350 chevy motor in it. Very expensive and if u want rear drive then sell your civic and get a rwd car. For the time money to convert it you could have a fully built turbo civic that would be faster and easier than your converted rwd.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:20 PM

I think 10 would be an understatement....Im guessing your friend is about the same age as you and based on that info i would say the cost alone would be out of the question, not to mention time and money...im not knocking on 18 year olds ive been there and i remember not having money enought to do half the things i thought i wanted to do.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (B16b-EJ8)

It's probably a 22.

Seriously, it's way too difficult to convert FWD to RWD. RWD is a tad over-rated. I'm not knocking on it, but with a short wheelbase and FWD car can handle superbly. Save your dough, mod the FWD or get a trans-am/S2k if you want a good, reliable RWD car.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait? A reliable trans-am!? I'm in!!
Old 09-20-2006, 01:33 PM

Default Re: (rclark)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rclark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wait? A reliable trans-am!? I'm in!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-20-2006, 02:48 PM

ive heard of 89-91 civics and CRX's being converted to AWD by using the suspension setup out of a 4wd wagovan. Is this true?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Re: (Brandon31386)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brandon31386 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive heard of 89-91 civics and CRX's being converted to AWD by using the suspension setup out of a 4wd wagovan. Is this true?</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds interesting anyone have any input on that??
Old 09-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has been done.

You will pay out the *** for it

On a scale of 1-10 it's a 10.

There's been a few civics RWD on here w/ small block chevy's dropped in 'em. Personally I think it's a waste of time on a car like a civic but whatever floats your boat.

You need to be a professional custom fabricater to do work like that (and yes, I will say professional on there). I doubt you'll be able to take it to your local shop and get it done (doubt they'll do it).

My guess is that you're just finding out now that your civic isn't a super monster Viper but a little econo box and now you want to make it bad *** and go tokyo drifting with it to proove that it's a bad *** car.

Wow, almost put a "?" there like I wasn't sure that's <u>exactly</u> what's going on.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's probably a 22.

Seriously, it's way too difficult to convert FWD to RWD. RWD is a tad over-rated. I'm not knocking on it, but with a short wheelbase and FWD car can handle superbly. Save your dough, mod the FWD or get a trans-am/S2k if you want a good, reliable RWD car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I disagree. You are completely knocking it.

Also, FWD vs AWD isn't an argument that should exist in a civic forum. Though I'd have to say it depends on the application. There's a reason dodge neons and honda civics in the top fuel classes are RWD. There's a reason all the cars in rally racing are AWD. So I suppose there is no definite reason as to why the best autocross cars are a mixture of RWD, AWD, and FWD - depends on the track and the driver's preference (and let's not forget the class).

You're basing one thing on like 40 variables and 0 constants.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:25 PM

Default Re: (Brandon31386)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brandon31386 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive heard of 89-91 civics and CRX's being converted to AWD by using the suspension setup out of a 4wd wagovan. Is this true?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i believe the wagon youre refering to puts 90% of the power to the front and 10% to the rear. not really worth it.

i'd like to see an h22 with an h2b plate attatched to a CRV trans/drivetrain fit into a civic or something. that'd be hawt.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:30 PM

Default Re: (knockout)

lol wow. so i already knew my civic was slow. found that out a week after i bought it. i've been looking for another project car for a quite some time. my friends and i were just discussing how hard it would be to put an s2000 engine and tranny in his del sol and make it rwd. i think he's just discovering its slow. and you're right we are too poor to attempt something like that oh well, if anyone knows where i can find a vette let me know
Old 09-20-2006, 04:55 PM

Default Re: (Wonk Unit)

i have a friend a work who is currently doing this he went to an auction and bought a stollen 04 si for 3G's and a wrecked in the *** s2G for 2500 and is now swapping over everything to the si and is costing him about 16G's but this is gonna be a show car so its not that much of waste
Old 09-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is the craze about RWD, your chassis is not set up for drift, nor will it ever be. Save your money for a car that is rwd to begin with, in the mean time by a limited slip differential.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:39 PM

Default Re: (ZacCarter)

i'm perfectly fine with my fwd honda. we were just discussing it, not planning on doing it.
if i wanted a drifter i would buy this guy's 240sx, but i dont' want a drifter, i want something to work on that will be awesome when i finish, and maybe i'll learn something on the way. ie: a vette, or camaro. or an auto cross car like an mr2.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Um don't waste your time.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I disagree. You are completely knocking it.

You're basing one thing on like 40 variables and 0 constants.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, the only reason I would only modestly knock it is because of some reviews and shows on Track & Driver.

One episode they were driving a mini and made a whole physics layout and determined the Mini wouldn't handle much different if it was rwd. That with its short wheelbase it makes up for being FWD. That's the only instance where that would come up. I retract my statement that rwd is overrated. Minus the fact that fwd is good for snow and offroad. Remember, before AWD came out, FWD mini's were owning the RWD cars in rallys all around the world.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wonk Unit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm perfectly fine with my fwd honda. we were just discussing it, not planning on doing it.
if i wanted a drifter i would buy this guy's 240sx, but i dont' want a drifter, i want something to work on that will be awesome when i finish, and maybe i'll learn something on the way. ie: a vette, or camaro. or an auto cross car like an mr2. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know man, I have a friend who's got a 240sx with a JDM SR20DET swap in it, fully rebuilt from the ground up, forged rods, pistons, valve train's aftermarket, the works. He can probably spank god knows how many Hondas with that car. His is a car cry from a drift car.

I hear what you're saying. If you want my opinion, stay away from making FWD RWD - that's not the kind of automotive knowledge you want. Buy a D15B and swap it, learn stuff like that, that's the kind of stuff you'll need. Trouble shooting bad VTEC and ****. My friend recently made an old (like mid 70's) big azz chevy pickup (not sure which) from RWD to 4WD and he said it's the hardest customization job he's ever done. Though he's pro...not newb....so I'd just not recommend starting with that type of stuff. Learn the basics, read a helms, buy a "project" D series engine and work with that.

Good Luck.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:50 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

lol its very tempting to buy honda stuff. but i use my car every day, and i can't swap the engine in one night, so the project civic will have to wait.
as for the 240, i was thninkin about it, but the kid who has it has beat the **** out of it, and i don't have the money/knowlege for a sr20det swap, much as i'd like to. i'm still trying to decide someday i'd like to do my civic right but i dont' have the receources or the time right now
Old 09-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wonk Unit
lol its very tempting to buy honda stuff. but i use my car every day, and i can't swap the engine in one night, so the project civic will have to wait.
as for the 240, i was thninkin about it, but the kid who has it has beat the **** out of it, and i don't have the money/knowlege for a sr20det swap, much as i'd like to. i'm still trying to decide someday i'd like to do my civic right but i dont' have the receources or the time right now
Yeah that's the best plan, that's what I'm doing right now as all the money I'm getting for doing swaps is going into this college. I'm telling you, I better make a lot of money in 5 years when I graduate, because I am doing an assload of work on weekeneds, setting up the swap and garage time during the week inbetween classes then physically doing the swap and wiring on the weekend with 5 hour drives inbetween. I'm doing way too much work and sinking way too much money into this college for me not to get an assload out. So after that rant I'm a broke *** college student for all intents and purposes. As much as I'd want to I cannot afford to put money for swapping peoples' engines into my own car, it's just not a priority, I'd love to, but I can't.

Though when the time comes I will strike, and unleash an incredible wave of spending on some car (honda or not, here I come). In the meanwhile, just sit back and watch the deals, look at the market, look at gas prices (), and wait for an oppertunity before just wasting money.

Good **** though, if he beat the hell out of it, you don't want it, unless you plan on completely rebuilding it (but then you have to ask yourself is it worth what you'd be paying for it).

Originally Posted by ek forever guy

Well, the only reason I would only modestly knock it is because of some reviews and shows on Track & Driver.

One episode they were driving a mini and made a whole physics layout and determined the Mini wouldn't handle much different if it was rwd. That with its short wheelbase it makes up for being FWD. That's the only instance where that would come up. I retract my statement that rwd is overrated. Minus the fact that fwd is good for snow and offroad. Remember, before AWD came out, FWD mini's were owning the RWD cars in rallys all around the world.
Good ****.

I was thinking about buying a mini-S at one point or another. Though I was also thinking of a half ton pickup project truck, a 240sx, a motor swap or turbo for my civic, a newer/different civic, an integra, so on and so forth so you can see where my head's at. Right now while my head's up my *** I'm not going to make any decision on what to do car wise, I'll just have to float like a boat in the ocean w/o a rudder. Then when I can afford to put some of my earning cash towards a car I can save up and buy it, or change it, or sell it, or do something. In the meanwhile I'm just gonna drive my civic and be happy with it until I either A) Wreck it, B) Blow the motor, C) Run into a deal and have the $$ on hand to change my car situation.

So yeah, I like the minis too, cute as far as I'm concerned, don't care how many pple say they're ugly. Guess that sorta ties in with the whole "it's your car" theory of mine that some people just think is nuts and use the sociological norm of "it's my car, I better care what other people think."

Blah.

I have studied the physics of a mini as well and though you're right, you can't compare the mini to a civic hatch (any gen) and say that it's the same and wouldn't make a difference if it was RWD. You're talking totally different shapes, structures, and ratios in my opinion.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Right you are.