Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

noob question - Intake + Exhaust + water leak

Old 12-31-2006, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob question - Intake + Exhaust + water leak

Car is a stock 99 Civic EJ6, got it second-hand.

If I get a new intake (and later exhaust) will I need to get the car tuned for fuel injection (or something)?

Also, my car sounds a little different then it used to when I start up, I spotted a tiny drip coming from under the car after driving and it's water (room temp, not hot or cold). I see moisture stains on some of the metal struts on whatever system is located to the UPPER LEFT of my engine block, probably related to my radiator? I don't know but there's a plug there that looks "sort" of like what a dipstick looks like, there seems to be moisture/grime all around the cap area and I'm not sure what that is. None of the hoses seem to be cracked.

Help me, i'm a noob, waiting on amazon for my tech manual.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: noob question - Intake + Exhaust + water leak (Mitsu)

no on getting tuned.
and maybe take a pic of what your talking about ...
Old 12-31-2006, 06:25 AM

probably your ac condensor
Old 12-31-2006, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Crasian)

If you still have A/C in the car, I would say it's either the normal condensation from the A/C system or the A/C system could be leaking its refridgerant in a couple places.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: noob question - Intake + Exhaust + water leak (john666)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mitsu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Car is a stock 99 Civic EJ6, got it second-hand.

If I get a new intake (and later exhaust) will I need to get the car tuned for fuel injection (or something)?

Also, my car sounds a little different then it used to when I start up, I spotted a tiny drip coming from under the car after driving and it's water (room temp, not hot or cold). I see moisture stains on some of the metal struts on whatever system is located to the UPPER LEFT of my engine block, probably related to my radiator? I don't know but there's a plug there that looks "sort" of like what a dipstick looks like, there seems to be moisture/grime all around the cap area and I'm not sure what that is. None of the hoses seem to be cracked.

Help me, i'm a noob, waiting on amazon for my tech manual.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No it does not have to be tuned. If you truly live in Hawaii then I'm going to go on the assumption of my personal experiences where it's very moist there... It's probably just condensation, I wouldn't worry about the water - IF IT SMELLS like water...unless you guys use straight up water in your coolant systems instead of anti-freeze due to no chance of freezing...then it's possible it could be a coolant leak.

Though one thing at a time.

Next time you do that, and you look under your car and you see a leak. Look from ABOVE the engine and try to find out where the water came from. Ie, the head, the block....the spark plugs or battery?? Wherever it's comin from, try to find out, that's probably most important.

Also, if it's hot out (like it is) - you probably have AC. The AC system in cars (like all AC systems) produces water as a bi-product of cooling the air. If you let a car sit w/ the AC on, the water drips...but that's perfectly normal.

As for the moisture stains. I'm having trouble figuring out what the expletive you are talking about - upper left of the engine block? Well from one angle there's a battery there, and from the other angle there's a PS reservoir. Neither have anything that resembles a strut in my opinion. So more descriptive help would be better to help you.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:29 PM

Default Re: noob question - Intake + Exhaust + water leak (Syndacate)

Yeah I still have my AC in. The area I'm talking about is below the battery, here's pics.

Maybe I'm paranoid, the water drip was light, like I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't become interested in my car. Could have been there forever. If you say it's nothing to worry about i'll let it go.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:43 PM

thats nothing to worry about at all.. that would be the transmission dipstick FYI. The "grime" you speak of around it is probably from the last time you got your trans serviced. The tech prob just spilled a little on top, over time building up dirt in the spilled fluid, creating that crap.. you can clean it off with parts cleaner or just wipe it with a rag if it bothers you.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdeemseerx)

suggest clean you motor with some degreaser makes it easier to spot any leaks as soon as they start.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Re: (jdeemseerx)

okay, thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: noob question - Intake + Exhaust + water leak

Hey guys i swapped out my sohc on my 95 civic ex. i have the b18b with the b16 head. i got the head machined and had a valve job done. the block was good.... For some reason i have water coming out of my muffler. oh, and from the headers (where they connect to the piping.... any ideas on what it could be? i dont think the head is warped since it has just been machined.... the head gasket has been used 3 times but i have not ran the car. i copper sprayed it. the gasket was for the b16 head (dohc vtec) any ideas? i really need the help.