Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Noob Question. How much power out of EG Si?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Question. How much power out of EG Si?

If you dont want to answer, please show me the way to this information. I searched but the search engine isnt working for me. I'm a noobie to Hondas. I know a few things but nothing major. Was wondering how much power can be extracted from a stock 92+ civic si engine, or what is the power limit of the engine? 2nd question, is it possible to change the sohc to a dohc? will it be worthwhile and how much power (estimate)? I just want to know more about the si engine. Or JDM Si-R for that matter. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:43 AM
Bounty - € 8,000,000

Default Re: Noob Question. How much power out of EG Si? (BoostFrenzy)

wait for the search emgine to finish maintenance and then check again. I'm searching for clutch pedal adjustment. try

jdmcivic.com
Old 12-15-2004, 07:50 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SOHC engines have been known to push sick *** numbers. With lots of $$ in there of corse. And yes you can change the SOHC to a DOHC.. 90% of the people on this board have already done that. Including myself.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:51 AM

oooh, clutch pedal adjustment...i'm looking for that as well. if you can let me know any good info/sites/guides, i'd appreciate that!

as for the original post, you can look at the sticky at the top of this forum for the possible swaps. it gives you a good overview of what's out there for this car...
Old 12-15-2004, 07:55 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (doughboy_88)

The D16Z6, to the best of my knowledge, makes around 125 horsepower and 100 foot pounds of torque. Doesn't rev well in stock configuration past about 6800rpm (power drops off rapidly), but utilizes every shred of its modest output before that mark. I drive an EG Si and love her to death.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:55 AM
Bounty - € 8,000,000

Default Re: (doughboy_88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doughboy_88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oooh, clutch pedal adjustment...i'm looking for that as well. if you can let me know any good info/sites/guides, i'd appreciate that!

as for the original post, you can look at the sticky at the top of this forum for the possible swaps. it gives you a good overview of what's out there for this car...
</TD></TR></TABLE>
LOL like i said I went to JDMcivic.com
Old 12-15-2004, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostFrenzy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Was wondering how much power can be extracted from a stock 92+ civic si engine, or what is the power limit of the engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>
you have the SOHC VTEC D16Z6 w/ 125hp
This motor can handle about 200whp w/boost and with some good tunning...but running that high risks reliablity and longetivity, your pushing it to the limit.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostfrenzy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it possible to change the sohc to a dohc?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes, you swap the motor for a DOHC, fits right in.
SOHC parts (ECU,axles,tranny,Intake Manifold,headers,etc)and DOHC parts are NOT interchangeable.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostfrenzy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will it be worthwhile and how much power (estimate)? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes its worth it, but pricey... if u want a better Si motor get the B16A2 (Civic Si Coupe). GREAT motor, one of my favorites. Comes with 170hp STOCK and its a 1.6L, thats VERY close if not the same hp as the B18C1 (Integra GSR) and alot cheaper.

Boosting a B-series (DOHC) compared to boosting a D-series (SOHC) is VERY expensive. Expect to blow about 3-4 g's on a kit and tunning. SOHC on the other hand will smoke most B-series, if not all, if boosted...and the best part is, IT DOESNT COST AN ARM AND A LEG! NEITHER DOES THE MOTOR, so if it blows it blows. you can boost the hell outta like 3 motors and blow every last one and only have spent as much money as it is to do a swap and get i/h/e! You'll spend about $1000-1500 on a kit and good tunning and dynoing

My opinion, keep the D16Z6, you actually have a stock vtec motor in a hatch, we all have Dx's and some of us cheap asses do minime swaps only wishing we had vtec stock like you. DUde just boost it...o and you might wanna learn abit about turbos before you decide what to get

Old 12-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Noob Question. How much power out of EG Si? (HatchEh2)

You can put a DOHC ZC head on it according to a thread that's been floating around recently, but it's not a VTEC head, so you might not gain a whole lot from it. My suggestion is to put some ARP head studs in that bastard, torque it down to spec and push 8psi through it until it explodes. Then buy another engine to daily drive on and build the blown one for more boost while you're waiting .