Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Noob Engine Swap???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Engine Swap???

I have 93 civic del sol SI 1.6. The engine blew on me, and i was doing a replacement. The engine i purchased was a vtec model everything bolted up good bell housing and most of the motor mounts except for the top left mount. The bolts attached to the old engine are slightly offset, and the ones for the Vtec motor are inline, and seem closer to the chasis. In any case the mount i have will not work for the engine, i am having a horrble time findind the mount i need. Is there a mount that will fit both on the chasis, and the engine?

Also i have been searching the web on this for a while, and have heard things about the Vtec not kicking in. I am not real sure what the Vtec is. Is the car i have compatable, and what do i have to do to my SI to make the Vtec work?

Any help would be hot, thanks for bearing with me. This is my first attempt at swapping out an engine.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Noob Engine Swap??? (Wysper)

well it would be nice to know the engine your puttin in, just because it has vtec doesn't make it the same.... there is d16z6, d16y8, b16, b18, k20, etc. all of which have vtec
Old 05-16-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Noob Engine Swap??? (civiccpedx)

now i am going to sound like a real noob. How would i found out what kinda of engine i have?
Old 05-16-2005, 04:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Take MOUNT BRACKET off old engine put it on new engine....then you can use your old mount on the new engine

you will have to take timing belt cover off to do this....

there will be 2 or 3 14mm bolts holding MOUNT BRACKET on....

Old 05-16-2005, 04:26 PM

or you could just use a 2 bolt mount....any junk yard should have one...or i'll sell ya one for 50 shipped
Old 05-16-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Noob Engine Swap??? (chad)

Engine code will be stamped on the engine block here (circled), even if it's not the same engine it will be in the same place approximately.

Sorry for stealing someone elses pics.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:32 PM

i was thinking of taking the mount bracket off, but i cant seem to get the bottom part of the timing belt case off, its held on by the pullies. I dont know alot about cars, and was trying to avoid taking anything off of the new motor to avoid screwing it up.

Of course i may just be a retard and simply dont know how to remove the lower half of the timing belt cover. The upper part is real easy to get off, but the lower part doesnt want to come off. I removed all bolt for the cover itself, and it is still on. Cant get a wrench in to remove the mounting bracket without taking that damn lower cover.

As for using a two bolt mount thats what i have, the holes are just offset, and wont match up with the new mounting bracket attached to the motor.

Thanks for all the help
Old 05-16-2005, 04:33 PM
B A N N E D

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wysper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now i am going to sound like a real noob. How would i found out what kinda of engine i have?</TD></TR></TABLE>

to the left of the header there is an engine code on the block. its about 1.5"x1.5". If you have a DOHC motor it should read something like B16, b17, b18, or b20 with a possible letter or number after the 16,17, 18, or 20. If you have a SOHC motor it should be something like a D16.

Heres an example.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Noob Engine Swap??? (DvD3)

It is indeed a SOHC D16
Old 05-16-2005, 04:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wysper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was thinking of taking the mount bracket off, but i cant seem to get the bottom part of the timing belt case off, its held on by the pullies. I dont know alot about cars, and was trying to avoid taking anything off of the new motor to avoid screwing it up.

Of course i may just be a retard and simply dont know how to remove the lower half of the timing belt cover. The upper part is real easy to get off, but the lower part doesnt want to come off. I removed all bolt for the cover itself, and it is still on. Cant get a wrench in to remove the mounting bracket without taking that damn lower cover.

As for using a two bolt mount thats what i have, the holes are just offset, and wont match up with the new mounting bracket attached to the motor.

Thanks for all the help</TD></TR></TABLE>

you must take the CRANK PULLEY off before timing belt cover will come off.....

are you sure you have the right year engine??

cause it sounds like you have a 88-91 engine that you put in your car!!!

the bracket is differetn....you will definatly need to change your MOUNT BRACKET....
Old 05-16-2005, 04:59 PM

The engine i purchased was sold as a 95 engine. I was thinking that since my car is a 93 regular SI, and the new engine was a 95 vtec that would be the difference in the mounting bracket.

The old motor mount like i said just has the bolts offset, and it seems to go out a little further from the chasis.

I have found a new mount that would fit the new mounting bracket, but the price is $150 and that is a lil to rich for my blood.

Of course if my engine was older that could explain it, but would also make me very angry as i paid for a 95 lol. People try to screw ya any way they can though lol
Old 05-16-2005, 05:07 PM

get me pictures of NEW ENGINE BRACKET, old engine bracket and old engine mount....

i have right mount

50 shipped