Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NOOB

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOOB with questions

Whats up everybody? I am looking to get a 92 Si Hatch. I used to own a 92 Integra GS but that was 5 years ago. It needs a O2 sensor. Is that a pain to replace? What brand should I go with? Thanks.

JB

Modified by JB-HRC3 at 4:46 AM 2/4/2008
Old 02-03-2008, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It shouldn't be hard to replace i think it takes like a 7/8' wrench possibly a 3/4' i don't remember. But anyhow you should be able to get one from autozone, however they really arn't the cheapest thing in the world.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:36 AM

Its not a pain to replace at all. At your local autoparts store, there should be an o2 sensor removal kit you can rent. It's a special socket specifically for removing an o2 sensor and makes life really easy. Great thing is, you even get your money back when you return it, so its basically free

As far as the "brand", im not sure. All o2 sensors are pretty pricey, so I would just go with an OEM one from Honda...
Old 02-03-2008, 10:55 AM

I already knew that I didn't want to go with the OEM...I was thinking Bosch...does it really matter?

Thanks
JB
Old 02-03-2008, 11:49 AM

Default Re: (JB-HRC3)

Bosch products suck. Go with ngk.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (MurdersV8s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MurdersV8s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bosch products suck. Go with ngk or denso.</TD></TR></TABLE>
x2. personally i wouldnt settle for anything less then honda OEM parts when talking about an o2 sensor... it affects the whole car and how it runs. Denso is what honda uses from factory so that would be my number 1 pick.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:18 PM

I looked and didn't see any NGK sensors. I saw some Denso, but never heard of them. Now I know...

JB
Old 02-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OEM brand from the honda parts desk. Will be pricey, but its worth it.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:59 PM

Here you go. This will tell you how much it is. Other people might find it for cheaper though.

http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp
Old 02-04-2008, 03:42 AM

Thanks MurdersV8s. BTW sorry bout your Pats. I was pullin for em
Old 02-04-2008, 03:45 AM

Also the shifter is loose while in gear. He said it had a SS but he replaced it and forgot to put in the shift bearings. Should I be worried about abnormal wear because of missing bearings? I planned on getting a SS for it eventually, but maybe now I can move that project up.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:29 AM
Reject Papi

you mean the shifter has no bushings? i don't think it will hurt it soon, but you might want to fix that. i lost mine and just used a lock nut and some washers, snugged it up, added some blue loc-tite for safe measures, and it works fine, been like that for 2 years now. i'm not telling you to cheap out, but it was a last resort for me, it was sunday night, stores closed ect......
Old 02-04-2008, 06:40 AM

I think he was talking about a rubber bearing, like a ball joint or something. When I test drove the hatch, it was awful the amount of slop while in gear. It would definitely need to be fixed.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (jhammond_82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jhammond_82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i lost mine and just used a lock nut and some washers, snugged it up, added some blue loc-tite for safe measures, and it works fine, been like that for 2 years now. i'm not telling you to cheap out, but it was a last resort for me, it was sunday night, stores closed ect......</TD></TR></TABLE>

It was a last resort 2 years ago? I think the stores are open now bub.

http://www.AutoPartsWarehouse.com/

Part Number: NP2341000 - Denso O2 sensor
Old 02-04-2008, 07:28 AM

I forget the brand I purchased for my 99 EJ Hatch, but I purchased it from http://www.sparkplugs.com

The site was highly reccomended from people on this site, as well as team-integra.net. I forget how much I paid but it was reasonable. They shipped it VERY quickly, I mean REALLL quick...that part I do remember from the transaction, was that I was very surprised how quickly I got it. It sounds corny and all, but they even sent me a little brochure and a bunch of little stickers. It was a very good experience and I have nothing but good things to say about my personal experience.

Also, I'm unsure of the brand, but whatever it was...it was in my car for 3 years until it got stolen, and everything was working perfectly. I had originally bought the car with a check engine light code for a Primary O2 Sensor. I replaced it, reset the ecu...and everything was great from then on. No problems whatsoever as far as the sensor was concerned.

Good luck man, and please don't let a faulty o2 sensor keep you from getting a good deal on a car you want. Its easy as pie to replace, and if its the primary one you wont even have to get under the car, it'll be right on the exhaust manifold. Auto parts stores sell an o2 sensor specific socket for like $4 that allows clearance for the wires coming from the sensor, so that obviously made it that much easier to replace. Took me half the time of smoking a cigarette.

Shieet, if anything...use it as leverage to get the car for an even better price, haha. But absolutely don't let it hinder your decision in any way. You're better off buying a car with a fouled o2 than buying a car with 4 bald tires...if that puts things into the proper perspective, haha.

Good luck bud!! Let us know how things turn out, and if you end up purchasing the car. This place can be very helpful, enjoy your stay here!! With all the information on this site, I doubt you'll ever have to look elsewhere for any information at all regarding your Honda/Acura.

EDIT: Also, maybe someone with more knowledge than I can elaborate, but they sell o2 sensors with the OEM plug already on it, and for much cheaper they sell "universal" o2 sensors that require you to wire it into your OEM plug. Everyone was telling me that I was much better off just spending the extra cash on getting the OEM replacement rather than trying my luck at pinning/rewiring it to the stock plug. Needless to say, I definitely went with the OE replacement with the plug already on it, and it was a cinch. So I wanted to give you the heads up, that you may see two different types; one being the universal. Its completely up to you, but I personally would just stay away from that and get the correct one for your application. Do it once, and do it correct.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome to the site

---&gt;&gt;&gt;Olga
Old 02-04-2008, 09:38 AM

Default Re: (yekah)

http://www.weaksauceparts.com sells Prothane polyurethane shift bushings for $15.00 for a set I used to grind 3rd gear if I shifted too fast after I installed the poly bushings no more grindage, and they took about 20mins to install. If you are actually missing a bearing in the shift linkage then you can replace it with a wheel bearing from a skateboard or roller blade.

As for the o2 sensor, sitck with oem.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the tips everybody! When/if I get the car I will post up some pics. I am still debating between this or a Teg.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:37 PM

This motor is supposed to be the D16Z6...how can I tell? I was told to look for the Vtec Solenoid. A picture would be great.

Modified by JB-HRC3 at 9:51 PM 2/5/2008
Old 02-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JB-HRC3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This motor is supposed to be the D16Z6...how can I tell? I was told to look for the VTECH Solenoid. A picture would be great. </TD></TR></TABLE>

First, it's Vtec, not Vtech. Small thing, but trust me people on here will kill you over it.

On the front of the motor, to the left of the exhaust manifold you will see a small square flat place. You may have to clean it off, but it will have the engine code stamped in it.

If it's a D16Z6, it will have "D16Z6" stamped there.

It's literally that simple.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes PLEASE spell vtec correctly. idk how you can like hondas and work on them if you cant even spell the greatest thing to come on them
Old 02-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC_4dr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes PLEASE spell vtec correctly. idk how you can like hondas and work on them if you cant even spell the greatest thing to come on them</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uhhhhhh....

"Greatest thing to come on them?"

I'm curious, why would that be?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:55 PM

I fixed it! I fixed it! Still learning and probably will be for quite some time...once again thanks for the info. What about this Vtec solenoid? Should I be worried about that?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dramier)

why not? ok ok so its my opinion. my bad
Old 02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow a 92 si and a 92 gs? thats ALMOST LIKE MINE! i got a 90 integra GS and a 95 civic SI. B18A1 & D16Z6 FTW!@!@!@

Quick Reply: NOOB