Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Non Vtec to Vtec swap (wiring)

Old 11-26-2004, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non Vtec to Vtec swap (wiring)

I have recently blown the engine in my Civic Cx. Since i am being forced to buy a new engine anyway, i would like to upgrade. However, the car's previouse engine was non vtec and i was wondering what all would be required for the swap to a vtec engine. Any help or input would be appreciated.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Non Vtec to Vtec swap (yerdledturtle)

do a search next time but here this is to wire up vtec
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=919292
if u need a motor go here http://www.hmotorsonline.com
Old 11-26-2004, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Non Vtec to Vtec swap (JDM BoI)

Ok, assuming you have a vtec motor in a non vtec car and you need to wire in vtec y0! here it is...

Our demonstrator model is a 95 CX with a OBD I B16A. So you have your motor in the car, and you are using XXXX engine harness, as long as you have the plugs (usually come with motors harness, even JDM, just remove the whole thing from sensor/solenoid, to canon plug from the harness)) you're good. First you need to run the wires...

BLU/BLK and GRN/YEL from here...

To the canon plugs (shock tower connectors)...

Now, if you are using the vtec harness there's no need to remove them as there should be nothing plugged into the connector on the other side (on a vtec car, such as a VX, or 92-93, this part is over, as it will have them already) the wires should match up to empty slots. But if there is something on the other side, simply remove them (vtec wires) to an empty slot with nothing on the otherside. For the cabin side of the canon plug, you need to get the pin from the canon plug, to the ECU (junkyard). you need to get enough pins from a junker to connect whatever you are connecting.

Anyway now you have the wires going from the vtec solenoid, to the canon plug and out the other side...

Now, make sure the wire coming out of the cabin side of the canon plugs is long enough to go through the firewall, and to the ECU.

For the ECU connections same as the canon plugs, you need to acquire the pins. You can pull these out of a junker also. All the pins from the same generation are the same (there are two different sizes in each plug, you'll be using the smaller ones), and I was told that they are all the same from any model, and probably all generations, but I won't swear to it.

Here's how to remove the pins from the ECU...

If you want to take the time, you can pull the wire al the way from the ECU plug, to the canon plug, but I just splice a couple together, it saves a lot of time.

Here is what you should have...

The ECU slots on the non vtec models should have nothing in place, just a hole. At this point you should know where the pins go A4, and D6, so what are you waiting for, plug them in already...

Any time you need to splice wires together, I suggest soldering them when done, if you can't, at least use a good male/female plug, I like these...

Now, you should have vtec y0!, drive around let your car warm up and then let it rip (provided you aren't still throwing a CEL code). If everything is kosher, bolt in your ECU, wrap everything up, and blend it into your harness for that nice clean look.

You can also by pass the canon plug, and run a hardwire all the way from sensor to ECU, this works to, but doesn't look as clean.

Here is some more wiring pics, to give you some ideas. In the first one, I am using a VX harness (5 wire o2) on a B16A (four wire o2) in a CX (1 wire o2) so I had some issues . Anyway, after figuring out what wires were what, I used my handy connectors and connected...

For the switched 12V, I used the plug full of YEL/BLKs on the driver side, that goes to the main relay (thanks Poison), and spliced into one of the wires, then ran it to the o2 taping it into the harness once it was all connected, running right...

Old 11-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Non Vtec to Vtec swap (unbelievableEG)

whaoh, thats one gnarly writeup,
you should post it with a good clear title that ppl can search for easily,

so it can be archived and saved,
and the next 100,000 people that ask about wiring up vtec.. we can just point them to that link!!!
Old 11-26-2004, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it is a 92 CX then it is prewired to the tower.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Non Vtec to Vtec swap (lohatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lohatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it is a 92 CX then it is prewired to the tower.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dru dat!!
I think it's all 92's tha thave it to the shock tower though.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Non Vtec to Vtec swap (unbelievableEG)

Dude I went from non vtec to vetec but I can't figure out how to wire my distributor. Ok i have h22 in a h23 harness the h23 harness will not wire up to the h22s' external coil style distributor help me please
Old 11-29-2004, 05:38 PM

help
Old 11-29-2004, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Non Vtec to Vtec swap (lohatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lohatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it is a 92 CX then it is prewired to the tower.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are absolutely correct. Actually, the early production 93s are also prewired, but any of the 93s produced after a certain point are no longer prewired. All Vx, Ex, Si models are prewired. Just have to run IABS and knocksensor wires.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 02-14-2005, 10:40 AM

you need v-tec wiring horness and computer