Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Non Starter + CEL Stays On + Can't get Code to Flash up when Service Connector Jumped

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non Starter + CEL Stays On + Can't get Code to Flash up when Service Connector Jumped

Well, I've recently been trying to get a 92 Civic EG5 1.5 SOHC H/B UKDM started thats been lying around unstarted for about 4-6 months, just whilst my 33 is in the paint shop.

I've got to the stage where I've installed new battery but it just cranks, no fire.

So I check to see if I have fuel. No Fuel. Fuel Pump doesn't prime.

I removed Main Relay and jumped post 1 to 7 to put a 12v to battery.. and it primes. Tried to start care with jumped post 1 to 7 but no fire.

Then I started to think that the P.O.S Immobiliser was all fucked up (due to the fact the alarm was going mental when the new battery was installed and the key fobs werent doing anything) - the immobilser was on the car when I got it, its really ****, made by Gemini or something.

Anyways.. I decided to crack on and remove the immobiliser as it looked very simple. traced the wires from immobiliser and joined the split honda loom wires ( there was just the one for the Main Relay (thick grey wire if I remember correctly), some power and earths t'd off from the power cables off ignition, and two T'd off two green wires (one coming out of the underdash fusebox area - one off the loom running behind underdash fusebox), seems to have been done correctly.

Anyways.. no Joy.. so I decide I need to see what code its throwing..

However after jumping the service connector ( 99% sure i have the right one.. there is no other connector anywhere in passenger area near ECU and i retreived it out of the green plastic holder thing - its a little grey connector with a green/white wire and a solid brown wire)... - jumped this as per instruction,... and position 2 on ignition..... the CEL just stays on with the Oil pressure light.. no blinking, no code.. nothing.. CEL stays on whilst I am cranking the engine off the starter also.

Does this sound like a fried ECU to you? the CEL was staying on way before I tried jumping the Fuel circuit and any work on the immobiliser system.

Car started absolutely fine before it was taken off the road.

What would you do?

Old 02-21-2006, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fuses,main relay, the wiring you or anybody else messed with, grounds,igniter,coil(all that crap in distributor),spark plugs,wires......all that electrical crap. i am no expert
Old 02-21-2006, 08:36 PM

Default Re: (nello a.)

crankshaft position sensor
Old 02-22-2006, 03:09 AM

Would I still be getting some kind of activity when the service connector was jumped then.. as in some kind of code flashing up as opposed to just a stale (constantly illuminated) C.E.L.
I.e. if it WAS crankshaft position sensor fault..wouldn't the ECU tell me it was?

The Main Relay doesnt seem to work (the only way to get fuel pump to respond is to jump post 1 to post 7 with the relay removed i..e putting a 12v straight to the fuel pump.)

If the ECU was dead and not sending a 12v signal to the relay to energise it ( if ecu was dead), then would this be a symptom of relay not operating.

Anyway to test ECU to see if its working correctlyand putting out voltages/signals?

The fuses appear fine (underdash and underbonnet).

The grounds on the thermostat housing also appear fine.

Short of swapping my ECU to a working car and seeing if it operates, I don't know how elimate ECU now and start replacing other stuff like ignitor chip, coil, distributor etc..but still doesn't explain problem with the main relay not functioning correctly...the removal of the immobiliser i doubt has much to do with it, i've managed to get it out without many problems, it was like 3 wires that were attaching to Honda loom that would of had any immobilising effect, the others were just lives and grounds.

Thankyou for your replies lads. Still need some more advice however!
Old 02-25-2006, 03:41 PM

BTT in hope I can find some more advice please.