Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Non "fart can" style muffler recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non "fart can" style muffler recommendations

Hello
I just wanted to see what people were running other then the loud *** "Fart cans" found on alot of honda's due to them being cheap. currently have muffler with that style with a 4" out on a 2.5" straight pipe. motor is a d16y7, yeah i know non vtec blah blah im going to boost it and call it good (why i still have the straight pipe) anyways im just looking for a deep sounding muffler thats not too loud, preferably an axle back system. Im still learning so anything you see thats incorrect correct me in a non ******* way, we all start from somewhere. thanks for helping out.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:07 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Non "fart can" style muffler recommendations

Personal preference is all it comes down to. Go to Youtube and listen to some setups. I'm personally a big fan of Thrush Turbo mufflers. They're cheap as ****, easy to find, well built, and sound quiet at idle, but give a little bit of growl when you open it up. Also remember that bigger piping will flow better, but will also be louder. For what you have, and what you want, you don't need larger than 2" piping.

Also, don't forget that resonators and catalytic converters also make exhausts quieter.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^^^What he said! and although the bigger piping will be louder it will help to get a deeper tone. I dont think an axle back with give you a deep tone but like he said personal preference.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoldieWang
^^^^^What he said! and although the bigger piping will be louder it will help to get a deeper tone. I dont think an axle back with give you a deep tone but like he said personal preference.
I guess my initial post is alittle misleading, i know the 2.5" pipe dosent help how loud it is, but if i found something without a 4" outlet it would quiet it down alittle bit. Im still debating what i want to do cat/resonator wise.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:41 PM

The outlet itself doesn't matter. What matters is how the muffler (and the rest of the exhaust system) is baffled. "Fart cans" aren't baffled at all - exhaust goes in one side, and comes out the other. A proper muffler sends the exhaust through multiple baffles to absorb the sound before releasing it through the outlet.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the Yonaka on my ls/vtec with headers and catless test pipe. Sounds great. Doesn't have the "typical Honda" sound, its lower and deeper, a very refreshing sound being on a Honda.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:29 PM

The Thrush Turbo muffler I mentioned earlier can be had at your local Autozone/Advance for $30. Add in another $30 to get it welded on, and it becomes the cheapest option, as well.

I chime in on almost all of these "what muffler should I buy" threads because I've literally spent nearly two grand on exhaust systems, all on my one car. It started off with the cheapest full exhaust I could find on eBay. It obviously sounded like ****. With the silencer in, it just sounded like a bunch of angry bees on the other side of a football field, and with the silencer out, it sounded like you stuck your head in the bee's hive. Obviously got a ticket, bought another "brand name" muffler and had it welded on to get out of the ticket. I don't even remember the brand, but it was one that everyone was dickriding at the time. Got another ticket with that. Had a Magnaflow resonator welded in, which noticeably reduced my exhaust noise (and got me out of that ticket), but also got me pulled over and ticketed another 3 months later. This time, I had a Magnaflow high flow cat welded in. Got out of the ticket again, but got pulled later that year and ticketed again. Decided to get an authentic Mugen twinloop. Because it was Mugen, I got pulled and ticketed many times with it, but they were all thrown out because Mugen I convinced a judge that Mugen was an OEM manufacturer (allowed by local laws, sound exempt). It was loud as ****, and I was in court every 3 months to get another ticket dismissed. Too many Tuesday mornings wasted. Finally chopped it off and had a Thrush Turbo muffler welded on, after hearing one on my friend's 240, and fell in love. It's OEM-silent at red lights, and at light throttle, it sounds OEM. When you put your foot in it, it growls, and stays deep and aggressive, all the way up to 7k RPM. I have yet to be pulled over for an exhaust ticket since installing the Thrush, which I have had for more than a couple years now.

Had someone told me this beforehand, I could have saved a LOT of money, and a LOT of time in the court room. $130 for the header-back exhaust on eBay, $72 for the resonator on Summit, $26 for the muffler on Summit, $70 for the cat on Summit, get it all welded together, and you're less than $350 in for a complete, great sounded, 49 state legal exhaust that flows well enough for even a turbo D series.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:07 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm hoping someone will try a porter, they are an old design but sound really nice on 6 and 4 cylinders too, they look like a glass pack, but are a different design inside, and don't sound like one. I almost bought one, but decided to "roll my own" you might say. If you search online there are videos with sound clips, they used to primarily be a hot rod muffler but a lot of people are discovering they sound good on other cars, plus you are getting a quality muffler made here, not in China somewhere
Old 09-09-2014, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been using a Magnaflow muffler with a 2.5" inlet/outlet for a while now. The car is louder than stock, but a lot less than it would be with a fart can. Also, the lack of a shiny 4-inch tip draws unwanted attention away.

But yes, I also run a cat and a resonator. They help a ton.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally I'm with notAracist . I use Ultra flo (similar to thrush and Magnaflow) in my ls vtec turbo and is great.

3" inlet and outlet, oval S/S body.

Overall great muffler for the price.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCat39
I'm not sure on sound personally but it seems the Yonaka Cat Back Exhaust is decently built, looks like it may provide room for the rear sway bar (not sure) and have a decent sound in the video they provide.

It is 250 for the catback unlike ebay/amazon spec-d catbacks for 125ish. But it's also not a straight fart can by the looks while most teh ebay/amazon ones are.
The yonaka is great for the price. Only problem is the cheap gaskets. Welds and material are quality. I always get complements on the sound on my gsr swap. I added an additional 24" Dynomax resonator than makes my car almost completely silent at idle. You hear more motor than exhaust tone. Now that its turbo'd, all you hear is turbo spool. As far as clearance, i had to use a bfh to beat the corner to fit without rubbing against my asr 24mm bracket on a 94 civic hatch. I also cut off the big tip which caused a little rasp but went away when I added a smaller tip.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:17 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The larger the resonator/muffler body, the more it will cancel noise
Old 09-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quiet performance was a priority in my 2000 gs-r'd hatch. I went with an ITR b-pipe, ep3 si muffler. Even without a cat, stone quiet on cruise. Sounds clean at WOT. I spent $200 on parts and a couple hours with a chopsaw and welder.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Twinloop = sounds good, looks good, and flows well.