Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Noisy transmission? after clutch install??? help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noisy transmission? after clutch install??? help

I did a clutch job on my 99 Si since I was replacing the rear main seal. I used all OEM Honda parts. After the job was done now I can hear alot more noise that sounds like it's the transmission. It's bad enough that my wife, who drives the car, has noticed and told me about. The noise is not a grinding noise, it's more like a loud gearing noise or like when a bad bearing is heard.

I hear the noise when the car is parked and it will go away if I press the clutch in. Someone else has told me that this is the tranny main shaft bearing. I was hearing this noise before, but not the road noise. When driving, the noise is loud and noticeable, but if I put the car in neautral it goes away. When I put the car back in gear, even if I don't accelerate, I can still hear it.

What do you guys think it is? Why has this noise, while driving, appeared after the clutch was replaced?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Noisy transmission? after clutch install??? help

That is your throw out bearing. It is the bearing that sits on the clutch fork and slides on the output shaft from the tranny, it engages and disengages the pressure plate from the clutch disc. You should have gotten one of these with your clutch kit.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced that bearing with a brand new one.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:03 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 05foresterxt
I hear the noise when the car is parked and it will go away if I press the clutch in. Someone else has told me that this is the tranny main shaft bearing.
Yep, bad input shaft bearing.

Originally Posted by 05foresterxt
What do you guys think it is? Why has this noise, while driving, appeared after the clutch was replaced?
Hard to say, it's not uncommon for the ISB bearing to go bad though.

Originally Posted by CleanazzEJ1
That is your throw out bearing.
No, throwout bearing will make noise when you depress the clutch.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dammit, if I would have know I would have rebuilt the tranny while it was out....
How much is a rebuilt kit that would include the synchros and bearings?
Old 03-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dumb question but did u put oil back in the tranny? sounds like it wasnt making the noise this bad before u changed the clutch , unless u let the tanny hang by the input shaft when removing the trans..
Old 03-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just did a clutch and have the same problem...and the car grinds 4th now...now i put honda mtf back in the trans i put 2 quarts...thats usually the right amount correct? sorry for the thread jacking but see no sense in starting another thread on the same issue!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what i have done every time i have done a new clutch with a new throw out bearing and it wont make any noises i would grease up the shaft coming out of the transmission and then grease up the bearing it self on the inside of the bearing that should clear up the noise i has always worked for me and never any problems
Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I did fill up the tranny until it started leaking from the fill hole with Honda MTF. As everyone has stated, the issue is most likely the input shaft bearing. I could hear the bearing noise before, but just when the car was idle and it would go away when I pressed in the clutch. I thought it was the throwout bearing, but I should have asked before putting the transmission back on since now I have to remove it again.

I must admit that there were some times where the input shaft hung when installing it/removing it so that might have made the noise issue worst.

1992hondacivicvx - The manual states not to lube the throwout bearing since it will get contamitated and fail. Also, it doesn't seem to be the throwout bearing the issue.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The MTF is around 2.2-2.4 qts... 2qts it not quite enough, but should do the job. Depending on what clutch you put in, the noise can be normal. I've read somewhere, some of the twin plate clutches will actually stick to the flywheel and seize to it. However, I don't remember the remedy. IIRC they dumped the clutch to un-stick it and the sound goes away after a couple of weeks.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is an OEM Honda clutch with resurfaced flywheel.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also to note, I also feel a slight vibration on the clutch pedal that wasn't there before.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked the clutch fluid?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bled and topped off the fluid after the tranny was reinstalled, but I'll check again.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you bleed it while pumping the clutch? may be some air in the lines.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Input shaft bearing is about 30 bucks from honda and you need a tube of honda bond for the two case halves,i used rtv which works fine you just gotta let it set, the vibration could be caused if you didn't torque the fly wheel bolts right or flywheel could be warped from disassembly
Old 03-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bled the clutch for at least 30 minutes while my dad pumped the clutch and I would release the air when he had the clutch pedal pressed in.

I want to replace all the bearings and synchros, what else should I replace while I have it apart?

I torqued the flywheel and clutch according to the manual. How can I test for warpness? I had the flywheel machined at a local machine shop.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well you still gotta take the tranny out, and you need a straight edge or a dial indicator, you can replace the bearings and synchros but you are gonna need, a bearing press, feeler gauges, and maybe inch/lb torque wrench, for the bearing preload, and also make sure you got the overhaul service manual.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by shogee
Well you still gotta take the tranny out, and you need a straight edge or a dial indicator, you can replace the bearings and synchros but you are gonna need, a bearing press, feeler gauges, and maybe inch/lb torque wrench, for the bearing preload, and also make sure you got the overhaul service manual.
You really don't need any of that stuff besides the service manual. It's nice to have, but not necessary.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got the service manual and have been going over it, it's alot of stuff.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Unless you know exactly what your doing, re building a tranny is kind of a beeech. Just have a shop do it that way their is a warranty. That way if something went wrong during the re build you can take it back and have it fixed instead of hitting yourself in the head because you did it yourself
Old 03-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most of the time, not all the time:
If the noise goes away with clutch down....its a throw out bearing
If you hear the noise with the clutch pedal half way up.....its input shaft bearing
Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by mavvrik
Unless you know exactly what your doing, re building a tranny is kind of a beeech. Just have a shop do it that way their is a warranty. That way if something went wrong during the re build you can take it back and have it fixed instead of hitting yourself in the head because you did it yourself
Manual transmissions are pretty simple to rebuild. There's really not a whole lot to them and transmission rebuilds are really expensive if you have to pay someone to do it generally speaking.

Originally Posted by mavvrik
Most of the time, not all the time:
If the noise goes away with clutch down....its a throw out bearing
If you hear the noise with the clutch pedal half way up.....its input shaft bearing
No. It's basically the opposite of that. Clutch in and noise=throwout bearing, clutch out and noise=ISB
Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
You really don't need any of that stuff besides the service manual. It's nice to have, but not necessary.
Yea it kinda of necessary to have the correct clearances, and bearing preloads, unless you like rebuilding ur tranny every few months, that's why I'm saying you can replace only the isb, because it sits at the bottom of the case and you only need a punch to get it out, what op is saying is replacing all the synchros and bearings on the main shaft and counter shaft, which can be a bitch if you don't have the right tools. Slapping parts toghether will be like the kids that post stuff up like, "fresh motor rebuild but there is no oil pressure and ive spun a rod bearing after a week" im just telling op do it right or just buy a new tranny
Old 03-29-2011, 04:58 AM
Seagull Management

I'm not going to disagree with you and say that having the proper tools are nice to have. However I've built lots of transmissions without them and haven't had any issues. Even when I worked for honda we didn't normally use a press or bearing puller (unless it was a K-series tranny) and we never used a dial indicator (if I suspected I had a bent mainshaft or something I might have, but that doesn't normally come up) The only thing you really need feeler guages for is if you need to shim the diff or mainshaft, which doesn't normally need to be done. Also the only time you need to set the bearing preload is when installing a new set of diff bearings and using tapered roller bearings (most people just go to enclosed ball bearings)

Quick Reply: Noisy transmission? after clutch install??? help