Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Noise that goes away when clutch is pressed

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise that goes away when clutch is pressed

I have a noise in my 1996 Civic Coupe that goes away when the clutch is pressed. The noise isnt present while under around 4k rpm in first gear but is very noticable after that. Its present at all times in every other gear. I linked a video of the noise as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfSD...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-19-2018, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Re: Noise that goes away when clutch is pressed

Probably the throw out bearing
Old 09-19-2018, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Please anyone correct me if m wrong but i believe its:

Input shaft bearing if you hear it when the clutch is engaged (up)
or
Throw out bearing if you hear it whenever the clutch is depressed (down)
Old 09-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

correct. ISB noise goes away when you press the clutch.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:56 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

I would like to add that a keen ear can hear all the bearings rotating in the transmission and when you push the clutch in, the noise goes away.

I say this as I could hear the bearings rotating in my old 95 and I went so far as to swap the tranny with one that I had replaced the ISB and seals in and there was no difference. It was at this point I realized I was being overly paranoid about normal rotational sounds of the transmission and that I was not experienced enough to know what the BAD sounds of a transmission were.

The key is not noise during this that or the other as much as what KIND of noise during this that and the other. Unfortunately, that is really hard to share when not in person.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
I would like to add that a keen ear can hear all the bearings rotating in the transmission and when you push the clutch in, the noise goes away.

I say this as I could hear the bearings rotating in my old 95 and I went so far as to swap the tranny with one that I had replaced the ISB and seals in and there was no difference. It was at this point I realized I was being overly paranoid about normal rotational sounds of the transmission and that I was not experienced enough to know what the BAD sounds of a transmission were.

The key is not noise during this that or the other as much as what KIND of noise during this that and the other. Unfortunately, that is really hard to share when not in person.
I second this. Heard bearing noise when clutch released. No noise when clutch pressed. Replaced input shaft bearing (during a clutch job), resulting in no difference afterward.

Having the transmission out and manually rotating it, it's clear that the system makes a number of noises when it rotates even at low RPM.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:39 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Considering all the bearings in a transmission, and all the gears that are meshing at the same time, there's going to be SOME noise. With the engine running with the clutch pedal IN, nothing in the transmission is rotating. The TO bearing is riding against the pressure plate and spinning. With the clutch pedal OUT in neutral, the main (input) shaft is spinning (ONLY)... so you're going to hear some noise, usually a faint hiss. While in motion (in gear) The main and counter shafts are both spinning. As TomCat stated, it's difficult to diagnose a "noise" without being there and hearing how much noise the "noise" is making.

I'm pretty sure I just gave a quick and dirty explanation of manual transmission operation.... but it does make it a little easier to narrow down the source of a noise when you figure out under which conditions you hear said noise.

In my case, I had the same noise you mentioned, but mine was a loud rattle with the clutch out in any gear, especially at higher RPMs while in motion. Mine ended up being the main shaft bearings. Check out my EG build thread which details the issue and subsequent repairs. Click me; you know you want to...
Old 01-04-2021, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your problem same like me.
for my case problem is clutch itself. spring on clutch loose

​​​​​​here video what is happen and what is solution for my case. Hope can help you identify main problem for your case.