Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

noise coming from front passenger wheel.. could this be the axle?

Old 02-13-2005, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise coming from front passenger wheel.. could this be the axle?

there is a weird clunk noise that is coming from the front passenger side wheel. Everytime (well not everytime but most of the time) when i go from a complete stop in first gear or sometimes shiftin into 2nd i hear a weird clunk noise. It feels like the axle is loose but i dont know. It also likes to peel out alot or sounds like it. It is to cold outside for me to go check it under the car and plus i dont know what im looking for. A friend of mines said its either the top hats , upper control arm , or axles.

BTW: i have a gsr swap in my hatch with act stage 3 clutch and upgraded flywheel.

please help me out guys.. i need to replace this asap before matters get worse
Old 02-13-2005, 03:33 AM

Default Re: noise coming from front passenger wheel.. could this be the axle? (petersayarath)

It could be the axel, my friend had a subaru that used to do that and the noise stopped when we replaced the axel. It could also be a lot of other things in the suspension, however. I know it's cold, but your best bet before you start buying parts is to take that wheel off and give everything a basic visual inspection.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:05 AM

if i do so.. what would i look for.. i never experience a problem like this before.. should i look for any leaks, cracks?
Old 02-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (petersayarath)

Check for breaks in the boots around the actual CV joints, possible contact with other suspension components, a loose connection in the transmission, a loose axle nut, etc.

It could also be a bad wheel bearing or ball joints.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:37 AM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check for breaks in the boots around the actual CV joints, possible contact with other suspension components, a loose connection in the transmission, a loose axle nut, etc.

It could also be a bad wheel bearing or ball joints.</TD></TR></TABLE> If you don't see any breaks in the CV boots and it just happened one day I would guess ball joints.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:30 PM

ight i'll try to do so... any more suggestions?
Old 02-13-2005, 02:46 PM

If it isn't suspension (balljoints, control arms etc) and it isn't the axel or wheel bearing the next suggestion is probably not one you wanna hear, bad tranny. I have faith you will discover what it is and it wont be the trans.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondaFanatic708)

could be the cv joints
before you go and take the wheel off, go turn your steering wheel all the way over to one side and drive in a circle. See if it makes any poping noises
Old 02-13-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: (sethm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sethm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could be the cv joints
before you go and take the wheel off, go turn your steering wheel all the way over to one side and drive in a circle. See if it makes any poping noises </TD></TR></TABLE>

i will try that tomorrow.. thanks
Old 02-14-2005, 03:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sethm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could be the cv joints
before you go and take the wheel off, go turn your steering wheel all the way over to one side and drive in a circle. See if it makes any poping noises </TD></TR></TABLE>

i just tried that today.. no clicking or clunk noise.. anything esle.. nothing is hitting the suspension or anything.. im thinkin it must be the axles?
Old 02-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you had any one else take a look at it?
Old 02-14-2005, 03:44 PM

no not yet..
Old 02-14-2005, 05:08 PM

I hate to ask, but do you torque your wheels on? If somehow you're not putting your lug nuts down tight enough, that's exactly what'll happen.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:23 PM

yes i put some pressure on it but not with a torque wrench, i dont know how many lbs actually.. i tighten it the most i can with my hands not feet..
Old 02-15-2005, 06:33 PM

I would make it a little tighter than hand tight. Generally this will not cause any "noise" unless you don't tighten in a star pattern.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would make it a little tighter than hand tight. Generally this will not cause any "noise" unless you don't tighten in a star pattern. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless they're not tight enough and they start coming loose. Once a few of those wheel nuts come loose, the wheel will flop around on the studs and make a horrible noise. If you let that kind of thing go long enough, you'll need a new wheel and new studs too. Check it.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CycloneBlue_1.6EL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Unless they're not tight enough and they start coming loose. Once a few of those wheel nuts come loose, the wheel will flop around on the studs and make a horrible noise. If you let that kind of thing go long enough, you'll need a new wheel and new studs too. Check it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

will do

is it possible that something is wrong with the axles?
Old 02-16-2005, 06:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by petersayarath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

will do

is it possible that something is wrong with the axles?</TD></TR></TABLE> It is very possible. Axels are cheap and I snap em on a more regular basis than breaking anything else on my car. I need an upgrade bad though. Take em to a shop that rebuilds axels and see how they can beef em up for you for cheaper than buying expensive 500+hp rated race axels. I personally would recommend Dana CV joints. Dana makes BAD *** axels and other drivetrain parts for monster off-road jeeps. If your Civic can **** up some good Dana setup, your car needs serious race axels.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> It is very possible. Axels are cheap and I snap em on a more regular basis than breaking anything else on my car. I need an upgrade bad though. Take em to a shop that rebuilds axels and see how they can beef em up for you for cheaper than buying expensive 500+hp rated race axels. I personally would recommend Dana CV joints. Dana makes BAD *** axels and other drivetrain parts for monster off-road jeeps. If your Civic can **** up some good Dana setup, your car needs serious race axels. </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha wow.. yeah i cant afford the expensive 500+hp axles.. my car is barely making the 200 hp mark.

where can i find these Dana CV joints and axles?

i hope its the axles, so i can replace them for a 100 bucks or so..

does this sound like an common axle problem? so the noise that i am hearing can be a drivetrain or suspension problem right?
Old 02-18-2005, 05:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by petersayarath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

haha wow.. yeah i cant afford the expensive 500+hp axles.. my car is barely making the 200 hp mark.

where can i find these Dana CV joints and axles?

i hope its the axles, so i can replace them for a 100 bucks or so..

does this sound like an common axle problem? so the noise that i am hearing can be a drivetrain or suspension problem right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You would have to call around to all your local axel rebuilders. Tell them what you got and ask for Dana CV joints by name. They can also swap in a thicker driveshaft between the CV joints to keep them from breaking. (You wont have this problem for a while if at all). It sounds to me like it is a CV joint. I wouldn't just replace the axels. I would have em rebuilt, or do it yourself if your adventurous. Remember use 13g of axel grease in each CV boot and replace the band clips if you decide to tackle it on your own. The possibility of it being suspension related is very small IMO. Tranny issues are more possible however still very unlikely. Plus you would know if some **** in the trans was fucked. It wouldn't be an occasional noise. Good luck and happy tuning!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 06:42 PM

getting it check by a friend this wednesday while he is installing my skunk2 manifold