Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

No timing mark on the oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No timing mark on the oil pump

Doing some work on a friends car and came across this , there is no timing mark on the oil pump , the motor is a d16y7. non oem pump i would assume? the #1 piston is at TDC but since there is no timing mark im unsure and i dot want to put everything back together untill i sort this out.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: No timing mark on the oil pump

It's an aftermarket pump. The keyway in the crank should point straight up at TDC, use that for a reference. It's not ideal, but if you have no timing mark there's not much else you can do short of replacing the oil pump.

Btw. the end of the crank looks chipped or otherwise messed up. Also, that oil pan gasket is torn and was probably overtightened when installed, there's also a sealant where it shouldn't be.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, just use the woodruff key as a reference. You could double check with the "screwdriver down the spark plug hole" trick.

If you really wanna be considerate to the next guy working on the car (which might still be you lol) you can take a dremel or something and make your own mark on the pump when you're certain it's TDC.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
It's an aftermarket pump. The keyway in the crank should point straight up at TDC, use that for a reference. It's not ideal, but if you have no timing mark there's not much else you can do short of replacing the oil pump.

Btw. the end of the crank looks chipped or otherwise messed up. Also, that oil pan gasket is torn and was probably overtightened when installed, there's also a sealant where it shouldn't be.
Thank you , basically the whole car is a nightmare but she loves the car lol
Old 10-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fragmare
Yea, just use the woodruff key as a reference. You could double check with the "screwdriver down the spark plug hole" trick.

If you really wanna be considerate to the next guy working on the car (which might still be you lol) you can take a dremel or something and make your own mark on the pump when you're certain it's TDC.
I thought about that but the no timing mark situation had me wondering for a while lol
Old 10-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That oil pan is torqued *way* too tight (and unevenly), which is probably why the gasket is split under the oil pump.

Someone probably tightened it up when it leaked due to all that sealant preventing a good seal.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, yea... I didn't notice that. I think those bolts only go on at something like 9lb-ft. and in the proper sequence. That thing looks crushed down, hard. At least in the pic.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

She already ordered most of the gaskets so i'll be dealing with that soon enough , my concern was the timing mark on the oil pump
Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ej8_KiD
She already ordered most of the gaskets so i'll be dealing with that soon enough , my concern was the timing mark on the oil pump
When you go to reassemble, and have the crank pulley back on, just line up the TDC mark on the crank pulley with the notch/pointer on the timing cover. That way, it'll eliminate all doubt. From the pic you posted, though, it looks like you're pretty close if not dead on.