Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   No start, solid CEL? Here's what I did... (tons of pics!) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/no-start-solid-cel-heres-what-i-did-tons-pics-2458280/)

MrTodd 02-16-2009 11:46 AM

Re: No start, solid CEL? Here's what I did... (tons of pics!)

Originally Posted by m3tech95 (Post 37150913)
helluva write-up!! i was having this same issue on a shell i bought for the last 4 days.. i finally got it started turns out 1 of the thermostat ground wires was broken & i didnt notice it cuz its covered by plastic.. this thread helped out BIGTIME ....<kudos>

Right on dude, i'm glad it helped out! :TU:

WIKKEDV16 04-03-2009 03:10 PM

bumping this up to see if someone can shed some light on the situation thats going on with my friends 95 coupe..

car wont start... things that have been checked already

-ecu (2 of em)
-main relays(3)
-engine harness(2)

heres the breakdown as to what happend.

single cam was pulled.. rebuilt.. reinstalled.. car worked fine.. but for some reason would take about 3 seconds before the fuel pump would prime.

but once actually started it would turn on just fine like normal.. fast forward to last week and now you can wait 30seconds or an hour and nothing..

solid CEL and no fuel pump priming..

if i jump the green with yellow wire on the main relay to a ground the fuel pump will prime but constant(obviously)... im stumped.. basiclly the situation boils down to im not getting fuel injector pulse.. if i spray a small amount of starter fluid into the cylinders and it will start and die.. so i know the ignition system has power..

all the grounds have been severely cleaned and retightened..

SOMEONE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP...

thanks in advance

1sikhatch 07-18-2009 10:09 AM

damn this thread is a life saver, my car was kicking my ass for like 3 full days now. followed that helms n poof she's alive.

this should be stickied

EJ1 LS guy 09-29-2009 04:12 PM

This Is Greatness...Nice Write-up

seaninfla 12-31-2009 07:26 AM

GREAT Job on the whole write-up...pix are a HUGE help. It helps a lot to SEE what you are talking about as you do it. I have a similar problem & Solid CEL. I just have my Main Relay to test yet, but hoping my problem is not the ECU....we'll see. Thanks Again!:drink:

fastrxu 12-31-2009 08:22 AM

Really nice dude
You totally.had.me.at the edge of my seat reading evrry post
Somehow you managed to make.this. boring ol problem into something.exciting.
Nice work

Looj_hawj 01-17-2010 07:23 PM

my car die on me 3 days ago and its happen to die jux like urs. i was gonna get on the freeway but my motor jux shut down on me. crank and crank but nothing, no fuel priming, and solid cel. im so glad i found this thread, gonna help me so much. imma give u an A++. nice write up. imma go try it and see if its my ecu. thanks bunch

lucci 06-14-2010 06:59 PM

im another victum of the p05 ecu im trying to find a board scamatic so i can find the problem because mine still works intermitinly like you can leave the key in the on postion and leave it for like an hour then the car will start and run but it will turn off as it feels like it till the ecu does what ever it needs to to start back up

AdrianGH 01-19-2011 12:13 AM

code 48 does it say LAF Sensor?

Former User 01-19-2011 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by AdrianGH (Post 44460237)
code 48 does it say LAF Sensor?

That's the O2 sensor for the D15Z1 engine.

Former User 01-19-2011 06:57 AM

Nice thread.

I''ll add to this thread one additional test (The K-Test described by TxGreaseMonkey) that would likely have diagnosed the bad ECU. This test generally applies only to 92-95 Civics and is not found in the section of the service manual that MrTodd posted.

The MAP sensor plug has three wires that supply (1) reference voltage from the ECU to the MAP sensor (Wht wire), (2) reference voltage from the ECU to the MAP sensor (Yel/Red wire or Yel/Grn wire), (3) ground for these reference voltages (Grn/Wht wire or Grn/Blu wire). If you unplug the MAP sensor connector, turn the key to ON(II), and then measure voltage from the connector wire terminal for either (1) or (2) to body ground or to the (3) ground wire, you should read approximately 5V. My guess is that if MrTodd had done this test, he would have read either no voltage or a fraction of a volt from one of the two reference voltage wire terminals. For 92-95 Civics that won't start and have a solid CEL, this is generally diagnostic of a bad ECU, assuming that each reference voltage wire has continuity between the MAP sensor plug and the ECU connector plug.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture_5657.jpg

Sleeper95ej 01-19-2011 09:40 AM

MrTodd, I have two things to add (however, niether are thread-info related...)
1.) I bought my ej1 bc I liked the heritage behind my rediculous low-priced, female-previously owned, super clean Honda coupe and....
2.) I have one of the largest and most helpful communities in automotive history as a reference....you my friend have just SHOWED me how to properly diagnose...much like an overly frustrated canine owner does when there's sh!t on the carpet, by sticking my nose where you're looking.

You took a common prob, and made it interesting..(I should reference an above poster, but I dont recall his login name).
(Edit:Fastrxu)....I thank you for your time dedicated to your problem (even though you admitted the problem wasnt as elusive to you as some owners who cant find a bad fuse to save their life). Ive taken auto motives through highschool and a year and a half in a tech school blah blah, but sometimes it takes one instance of clarity to REALLY see wtf needs to be done.
<Props>

LiftNRace 06-01-2013 01:44 PM

this is a sick write up MrTodd, i followed these steps, and it fixed my fuel pump, it now primes, and runs when i turn over the engine, but just my luck my starter stopped cranking the engine WTF!? it happened after i did the step with disconnecting the 3p sensor, not totally sure what happened but any advice would be greatly appreciated.