Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NO SPARK PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO SPARK PLEASE HELP!!

Ok, so im gonna give you the low down on everything that has happened up to this point. My clutch went out, luckily this was right at tax return time so i ordered a new clutch, along with a bunch of other stuff (drilled and slotted rotors, brake pads, cold air intake, ect). We drop the trans and throw in the new clutch, bleed the hydro lines and it works great. Go to start and nothing. Motor spins but no fuel. Replaced the main relay and now it would prime the pump every third or fourth try and only pump for about 10 seconds and run really rich. Curious if it was the pump we ran a separate wire with a toggle switch and we get fuel, but way too much. It would start but ran extremely rich and wouldn't stay running. Backfiring and Popping. (My timing was never touched by the way). So i go ahead and order an AEM adjustable fuel pressure regulator and picked up a polished rail at the same time. I pulled the rail apart, cleaned the injectors and put it all back together with the new rail and regulator. Get it all adjusted correctly and were now getting the right fuel. I get everything back together, and i now have 29-30PSI of fuel, and im getting plenty of air, but no spark. I started with changing the cap and rotor. Still no spark out of the plug wires. I put a test light on it and get power right up to the plug into the coil inside the distributor. Ok so were getting power into the coil but not out, seems simple so i replaced the coil...twice. Still no spark. I have checked all of my grounds. It fired before the fuel issues, trust me it fouled the living hell out of my brand new spark plugs, but doesn't fire now. Has anyone had an even similar problem as this or any ideas at all. Im seriously willing to try just about anything so any ideas please. Thanks guys. I just want my car back.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: NO SPARK PLEASE HELP!!

Originally Posted by VanDorin91
Ok, so im gonna give you the low down on everything that has happened up to this point. My clutch went out, luckily this was right at tax return time so i ordered a new clutch, along with a bunch of other stuff (drilled and slotted rotors, brake pads, cold air intake, ect). We drop the trans and throw in the new clutch, bleed the hydro lines and it works great. Go to start and nothing. Motor spins but no fuel. Replaced the main relay and now it would prime the pump every third or fourth try and only pump for about 10 seconds and run really rich. Curious if it was the pump we ran a separate wire with a toggle switch and we get fuel, but way too much. It would start but ran extremely rich and wouldn't stay running. Backfiring and Popping. (My timing was never touched by the way). So i go ahead and order an AEM adjustable fuel pressure regulator and picked up a polished rail at the same time. I pulled the rail apart, cleaned the injectors and put it all back together with the new rail and regulator. Get it all adjusted correctly and were now getting the right fuel. I get everything back together, and i now have 29-30PSI of fuel, and im getting plenty of air, but no spark. I started with changing the cap and rotor. Still no spark out of the plug wires. I put a test light on it and get power right up to the plug into the coil inside the distributor. Ok so were getting power into the coil but not out, seems simple so i replaced the coil...twice. Still no spark. I have checked all of my grounds. It fired before the fuel issues, trust me it fouled the living hell out of my brand new spark plugs, but doesn't fire now. Has anyone had an even similar problem as this or any ideas at all. Im seriously willing to try just about anything so any ideas please. Thanks guys. I just want my car back.
try a different dizzy it's self. fuel pressure should be at 37-40 psi. could try different injectors them selfs. are they getting constant power at the ecu and have you done a pulse test on them ? could also be the drivers have you tried a different ECU ? lots more things to try still
Old 04-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My buddys hunting down another dizzy now to try out, that was out next plan. I havent messed with the ecu at all. Ill be sure to adjust the pressure up, i guess i had wrong info. Thanks for the help though. When i run out of ideas you guys are all ways there haha.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 05-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably your ignitor or ignition coil, I've had 3 similar no spark issues that were all fixed with a junkyard coil (i think a new one from Honda is 90 bucks). I was always told when you replace one, replace both but the ignitor is like 260 bucks from honda lol
Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just replaced the coil and still no spark. I was told to check the Crank Position Sensor and the Ignition Control Modual. Like i said were getting power all the way up to the coil but not out of the coil, but the coil is good (we have tried several) so something is wrong in the sense that its not telling it to fire, leading me to point at the Crank Position Sensor. Atleast that is my understanding anyways.

This car is soo close. We have proper fuel pressure, the injectors are clean, we get air, we get proper voltage all the way through the chain to the coil, but not out of the coil.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update. Both the icm and the coil have been replaced. Still no spark. About to try the crank position sensor. Also the fuel is at the correct pressure now.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

What car? 98 Civic? Any mods?

If you have a 98 Civic, have you tested fuse 9? Does the distributor coil and ICM get battery voltage?

Did the timing belt snap?
Old 05-06-2013, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally found it. After 3 dizzys, 2 main relays, and countless other parts it came down to a break in a ground wire. Two ends were tight and clean but somewhere in the middle is a break. I had heard of that happening before and I wanted the purple HKS grounding kit anyways so I picked one up, grounded everything and boom. Started right up like a champ. We checked all the factory engine ground wires with a test light and found that the one leading to the thermostat housing was clean yet not getting voltage though it. Thanks for all the help guys. Its always the simplest things that are the hardest to find.