Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

No spark, No start

Old 05-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark, No start

I was driving home the other night and my car decided to crap out on me. Out of no where everything just shut off so I had to come to a complete stop on the road. I ended up pushing it to a parking lot near by. I tried to start it and the engine turns over and sounds like it wants to start. But it doesn't. I pulled the plugs and it looks like I'm getting fuel. Then I pulled the wires and tried the spark test and I didn't see anything. I took apart the distributor and it was really corroded with white junk. I replaced it with a new distributor, newer plugs and wires, but still no start.. What else should prevent it from starting? Could a bad alternator be the problem? I need to get this piece of crap running. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: No spark, No start

After replacing the distributor, do you now have spark? Is dash fuse #9 blown? Any CEL codes? Do you hear the fuel pump prime?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tommy.
...I pulled the wires and tried the spark test and I didn't see anything. I took apart the distributor and it was really corroded with white junk. I replaced it with a new distributor, newer plugs and wires, but still no start.. What else should prevent it from starting? Could a bad alternator be the problem?...
No a bad alternator won't cause a no start, unless your battery has completely drained from running the car with no alternator charging it back up.

If you replaced the distributor, do you know it was good?
Yes a blown fuse (several) could cause a no spark no start problem, but will likely cause other issues too. Knowing what car you have would help.
Do you have power to the distributor (black/yellow wire)?
A bad PGM-FI main relay will cause a no start, but also no fuel since the fuel pump won't get turned on. Key the car on (not start) with the seat belt buckled (so you don't have the chime) and listen for a relay to click on for a couple seconds and then click off, also listen for the fuel pump to prime during that time then shut off (not always able to hear it though, if you have a buddy have him unscrew the fuel fill cap and stick his ear by the hole to listen for the pump).
Old 05-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by honda_luvr_2000
Yes a blown fuse (several) could cause a no spark no start problem, but will likely cause other issues too. Knowing what car you have would help.
Incorrect. Fuse 9 is dedicated to protecting the circuit for the coil and ICM in 98-00 Civics. The OP has a 99 Civic.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Are you absolutely sure you have no spark, and that you do in fact have good fuel pressure?

You can crack the fuel line loose at the fuel filter and have someone turn the key into the on position and you can check to see if fuel sprays out of it. If no fuel when the key is on, then have the person spin the engine over. There should be fuel spewing out - if not then you've got another issue.

If you still have no spark even with a new distributor then yes the fuse should be checked. If the fuse is good then it's possible you either have a bad distributor,or you have another issue.

Besides a distributor there are a few other things that come to mind that could cause no spark:

1. Ignition switch pigtail

This is usually verified by being able to start the car and back off the key just enough to disengage the starter, and the engine will remain running so long as you hold the key in the "start" position. If you have a Helm/Honda manual I'm sure there is a test for the ignition switch electrical portion.

2. ECU itself

3. CKF sensor located inside timing cover on oil pump housing

Do you have any check engine codes stored?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
After replacing the distributor, do you now have spark? Is dash fuse #9 blown? Any CEL codes? Do you hear the fuel pump prime?
After replacing the distributor I still have no spark. Checked all the possible fuses to see if they were open and they were fine. No check engine light. And I can hear the fuel pump prime in the on position. The distributor that was tested was a reman I got from Autozone so I hope it's working. Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to be checking for power at distributor if I can get a tester, crack the fuel line to make sure fuel is being delivered, and also find another ecu I can test out. I'm on my cell phone right now. So ill update later. Thanks guys.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tommy.
After replacing the distributor I still have no spark. Checked all the possible fuses to see if they were open and they were fine. No check engine light. And I can hear the fuel pump prime in the on position. The distributor that was tested was a reman I got from Autozone so I hope it's working. Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to be checking for power at distributor if I can get a tester, crack the fuel line to make sure fuel is being delivered, and also find another ecu I can test out. I'm on my cell phone right now. So ill update later. Thanks guys.
Think you just diagnosed the problem my friend.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine did the same exact thing you might want to check the ignition control module mine burnt out and it did the same thing you said in case you dont know where its at its in the distributor its the tiny little thing that has all the wires plugged in and its no bigger than a cracker you can get it tested at autozone if it is that your looking anywhere from 90-130 for that little part mine was 120 hope this helps
Old 05-30-2010, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your timing belt. this happend to my friend today. his car dies on him and it wouldnt start. it was getting fuel, no spark. dizzy was fine.
checked timing belt and it was DESTROYED!
Old 05-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your grounds does the lights come in the car if so which ones does the cluster bug out ? check the ground
Old 05-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

same thing happened when i owned my 93 vx. it was running fine then just went dead, cranked and cranked and cranked. so i opened up the oil fill cap and had a buddy turn the key for me. the cam wasnt turning because i snapped my timing belt. oh well, smashed the valves up to boot. we ripped out the motor and put in another......might be time for a swap my friend.
adam jeffery