no spark, need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 05:18 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default no spark, need some help.

Car - 1992 Honda Civic CX
Motor - 98' D16Y8

ok, earlier today while driving the car started to sputter sometimes during accelleration. It wasn't everytime but it was often. Then later while driving, the car wasn't sputtering as much as before but, it stalled all of a sudden. I heard a puff come from the exhaust and lokoed at my guages to see my oil and battery light on. So I coasted into a nearby parking lot. Had it towed home and first checked to see if my timing belt broke. I didn't think it had but I had to make sure. And it wasn't. So I put everything back and put one of the spark plug wires to the ground and cranked the motor over a couple times to see if I was getting a spark. No spark. Tried another just for kicks and still no spark. So I pulled the ignition coil out to check the resistance. The Primary Winding Resistance checked ~1.0 ohms. The Secondary Winding Resistance checked 14.28k ohms. So it checks within spec for the Secondaing but the Primary Winding is kinda out there. The resistances were measured at ~70*F, the manual calls for 68*F so it's close enough. The thing that bugs me is the Secondary Winding terminal, it's corroded. It's pretty bad. I couldn't get a reading off the top of it, I had to stick the probe down the side. Here's a picture of the Secondary Winding terminal.

Do you think this is the cause of my problem? Do you think I can just take something to the terminal to clean it. Then just reinstall it and hope itworks until I get a new one.

I need you opinions quick. It's pretty cold out and they are calling for up to 6" of snow tonight. I would like to get this running tonight if this is the problem, I don't really want to be doing this in the snow. Please let me know what you think. Also, let me know if it could be something else I can try. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance to everyone.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: no spark, need some help. (TouringAccord)

Bump, cause I think my car suffers from the same thing
Old 12-22-2004, 07:03 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Or could that corrosion mean that the coil is burnt and needs to be replaced all together.

Please, I really need your input. Any help is appreciated.

TIA
Old 12-23-2004, 05:26 AM
H-T Order of Merit

bump

I'm sorry for bumping this but I really need some help. I need to get the car running. It's snowing pretty bad right now but if there is anything anyone can help me with I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:40 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

You need to pull off the goldish cover on that coil and look for discoloration/flash marks on the coil itself.

At my shop we replace a shitload of coils because they go out with age.

EDIT:

Looks like that coil is missing the spring altogether that sits down in that hole you have pictured. Unless the spring is part of your cap, then I'd say you need a new coil. But an OE honda coil and not some aftermarket junk.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought there was supossed to be a spring in the coil, not sure though. All you can do is try it and see if it works.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: no spark, need some help. (B18C5-EH2)

Replace the coil and check the cap to make sure that there is damage to the spring loaded stud that fits in the coil.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:13 AM
H-T Order of Merit

well the local Honda dealer has a coil, cap, rotor and plug wires in stock. I'm thinking about going and buying them. But is there anything else I should check first? I just don't want to spend this money and have it not fix my problem. Thanks for all the replies thus far, please keep them coming. I need and appreciate everyones thoughts.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2004, 01:51 PM
H-T Order of Merit

After I got my car dug out of the 9+ inches of snow I decided to buy the parts from the dealer. Put them in the car and the car fired up right away. No hesitation at all. Starts better than it did before.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need to pull off the goldish cover on that coil and look for discoloration/flash marks on the coil itself.

At my shop we replace a shitload of coils because they go out with age.

EDIT:

Looks like that coil is missing the spring altogether that sits down in that hole you have pictured. Unless the spring is part of your cap, then I'd say you need a new coil. But an OE honda coil and not some aftermarket junk.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you were right.

I removed the goldish brass cover last night and noticed it was a bit stuck to the plastic cover but didn't think much about it. I also didn't think to look for discoloration or flash marks from it arching or whatever it does. So I pulled the cover back off and looked again an saw this. On the opposite side of the metal thing going around it looks the same, those white streak marks. Is this what you were talking about.

Also, there is supposed to be a spring in the secondary winding terminal of the coil. The new coil has it.

Either way. I replaced the coil, cap, rotor and wires and it fired up right away. I'm very happy now. It was a good thing I had the day off work and that Honda had these parts in stock. I was nervous I was going to have trouble getting to families houses for Christmas.

Thank you to everyone that replied and I hope everyone has a good Christmas.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:22 AM

def need the spring in hte coil or car willl die on you so replace the coil and then check to see if the ignitor is bad or not.if your getting spark from the coil then in most cases the ignitor is the next to go

just my 2 cents
Old 12-26-2004, 11:13 AM

Default Re: no spark, need some help. (elusive123)

also, most autoparts stores can test those coils...just bring it in to one and they'll be able to tell you right there if it's bad or not
Old 12-27-2004, 04:39 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Awesome man. I'm glad it worked out for you. You providing the pic of the coil certainly made it easier to help you.

Chalk this one up as one of those rare times and e-diagnosis actually worked!

Old 12-27-2004, 08:13 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Awesome man. I'm glad it worked out for you. You providing the pic of the coil certainly made it easier to help you.

Chalk this one up as one of those rare times and e-diagnosis actually worked!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep, I think it helps when pictures are posted and as much info is given as possible. You helped me a lot though. Thanks again.

Modified by TouringAccord at 12:40 PM 12/27/2004
Old 12-27-2004, 08:41 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: no spark, need some help. (xZeler8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xZeler8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also, most autoparts stores can test those coils...just bring it in to one and they'll be able to tell you right there if it's bad or not</TD></TR></TABLE>

How would they test it?