Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

No Radio Or Heater

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default No Radio Or Heater

Hey ht fam well I'm back at it again with my eg8 so got the car in this condition. I want to know what do I need in order to put a aftermarket deck back in? I see the connector but I only see one rca cable, please excuse my noobness never did audio before but really want to learn.

Also the climate control does not work at all, all the levers all loose like there's no resistance. So no heater or ac it doesn't even light up. The fuse is good, ideas?
Old 05-16-2017, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No Radio Or Heater

Here's the pics
Old 05-16-2017, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah yikes. If it were me I would pull the dash and see what's going on behind there.

That isn't an RCA cable, that is for your antenna.

RCA cables are for aftermarket amps.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok well with that being said what should I be looking for? And really really trying to avoid pulling the dash lol I got a lot on my plate with this car steering column, headliner, seat belts, and weather stripping to name a few. So don't wanna pull unless it's my last resort.

Exactly how many cables/wires am I missing for it to be plug and play for a new deck?

EDIT: Thank you for the correction, you learn something new everyday😉

Last edited by White_EG1; 05-16-2017 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-17-2017, 03:09 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts

That's the stock radio harness and antenna plug. Get a jumper harness online/Walmart/etc and wire it into your aftermarket headunit. Plug the wire connector and antenna plug and you should be good to go. As for the AC, check to see the lever cable is disconnected underneath the control unit. Also, check fuses.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You dont need to pull the dash to get the climate control unit out. Since the radio is already out. Follow this link,
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/%5Bfaq%5D-diy-how-install-civic-92-95-amber-red-dash-lighting-56k-no-no-661308/
look as though the your climate control has either been tampered with, or completely broken. Pull it out and inspect. Check the heater valve mechanism cable. There should be plenty of resistance if its connected.

you should read the FAQ forum a little more to get a grasp on your model.

https://youtu.be/RlTM7z5I34Y
watch that
Old 05-17-2017, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

The hot-cold lever goes to a push-pull cable that works the mechanism on the bottom of the heater box, and from there the water valve on the engine side of the firewall. All the other controls are electric. Maybe the fuse is blown, but it does look like you need a new panel.

Like the others said, remove the outer trim and the radio (already gone) and reach up through the radio hole to unscrew the 3 screws that hold the heater panel in. And you are ready to just plug and play a new radio with a harness adapter. The speakers may not be good though. It is pretty common to find all 4 stock speakers either fallen apart or blown out.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a lot guys for the speedy replies I thought it was going dead around here lol. I'm gonna check fuses again and see what's up with the climate control, then report back.

Yep, right on the money mk378 no speakers at all they even took the brackets smh.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:13 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

A majority of the time, people remove those plastic speaker baffles to clear up some space for the speaker magnets. All they had to do was remove it, trim the plastic accordingly and re-install. The trimmed baffle will serve as a spacer, lessening the speaker magnet depth.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
A majority of the time, people remove those plastic speaker baffles to clear up some space for the speaker magnets. All they had to do was remove it, trim the plastic accordingly and re-install. The trimmed baffle will serve as a spacer, lessening the speaker magnet depth.
So you're saying I can speakers without the bracket?

Anways here's the update guys, turns out the climate control wasn't plugged in or bolted in. Lights and functions work except the off 1 2 3 4 lever so looks like I need one of those then i should be golden.

But I'm kinda of confused with how to go about putting a pioneer stereo back in. The on the back there is a Left and right antenna cable output and there is only one hooked up in the car. Does anybody have a write up on how to wire in the new radio harness into my stock one?
Old 05-21-2017, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

If the fan does not run at all, check the motor, as well as the fuse and relay (both under the hood) before concluding the switch is bad. If the fan only works on 4 (or on one setting and higher, but none of the lower settings) the resistor is probably bad.

The red and white jacks on the back of some aftermarket radios are audio outputs (right and left). Those are used only if you have external amplifier(s). If you are driving all speakers directly from the head unit (no amplifier), just leave them unplugged. The antenna input is either a hole directly in the back of the unit, or a single pigtail cable that is usually black.

For the harness, buy a Honda type harness adapter and splice each wire from the radio to the adapter. They are standard colors so just match up the same colors. You can do this inside on a workbench. Then go out to the car and plug the car harness into the adapter, and plug in the antenna cable to the back of the radio or the pigtail-- those two connections are all you need to plug and play.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
If the fan does not run at all, check the motor, as well as the fuse and relay (both under the hood) before concluding the switch is bad. If the fan only works on 4 (or on one setting and higher, but none of the lower settings) the resistor is probably bad.

The red and white jacks on the back of some aftermarket radios are audio outputs (right and left). Those are used only if you have external amplifier(s). If you are driving all speakers directly from the head unit (no amplifier), just leave them unplugged. The antenna input is either a hole directly in the back of the unit, or a single pigtail cable that is usually black.

For the harness, buy a Honda type harness adapter and splice each wire from the radio to the adapter. They are standard colors so just match up the same colors. You can do this inside on a workbench. Then go out to the car and plug the car harness into the adapter, and plug in the antenna cable to the back of the radio or the pigtail-- those two connections are all you need to plug and play.
Hey man can i pm you some more questions i don't know how to splice a wire at all smh and can you give me a step by step for dummies on installing a subwoofer and amp? All the write ups on here just go right over my head but i know i can do it. Everything's
​​​​ pioneer from head unit to sub.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:31 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by White_EG1
So you're saying I can speakers without the bracket?

Anways here's the update guys, turns out the climate control wasn't plugged in or bolted in. Lights and functions work except the off 1 2 3 4 lever so looks like I need one of those then i should be golden.

But I'm kinda of confused with how to go about putting a pioneer stereo back in. The on the back there is a Left and right antenna cable output and there is only one hooked up in the car. Does anybody have a write up on how to wire in the new radio harness into my stock one?
You can install speakers without the plastic baffle, but you have to make sure the magnet clears the glass window, when rolled down.

You mean RCA cable or antenna cable?

As for the harness, it's color coded. Connect each wire from the aftermarket headunit accordingly (solder and heatshrink) to the aftermarket wire harness adapter...then, snap that plug to the car radio harness.

*** if you do not have a dimmer control wire on the aftermarket headunit, PROPERLY tape off the orange illumination wire (wire harness adapter). People forget to do this and when the headunit turns on, that orange wire contacts metal....blows a fuse. ***
Old 05-22-2017, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
You can install speakers without the plastic baffle, but you have to make sure the magnet clears the glass window, when rolled down.

You mean RCA cable or antenna cable?

As for the harness, it's color coded. Connect each wire from the aftermarket headunit accordingly (solder and heatshrink) to the aftermarket wire harness adapter...then, snap that plug to the car radio harness.

*** if you do not have a dimmer control wire on the aftermarket headunit, PROPERLY tape off the orange illumination wire (wire harness adapter). People forget to do this and when the headunit turns on, that orange wire contacts metal....blows a fuse. ***
Oh cool cause for me the wires never come out far enough and it becomes a bitch to hookup, that should help and I don't think it'll touch because they're not coaxial just some cheap ones.

i an aware that soldering is the go to way, but don't some people just splice them? I want to learn how to splice them I just googled it and I'm still confused can you break it down to a white_eg1 level?

So ok let's say I have the harness and I got all the wires matched up to where they need to go and I just got a wire stripping tool and electrical tape. What do I do know?
Old 05-22-2017, 08:17 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

You mean the speaker wires at the doors? If you look, they should be long enough to cut, strip and connect to. Blue or red the POSITIVE and the grey or brown is the NEGATIVE.

Solder....
- wire connections at the speakers
- wire connections (aftermarket wire harness <---> aftermarket headunit wire harness)

You can pick up heatshrink tubing at Lowes or Home Depot in the electrical department. It is 3/16" size. Use a lighter to "heat shrink" the heatshrink tubing (after you solder).
^^ you can wire up the adapter harness/aftermarket headunit harness in the comforts of the kitchen table. lol
Old 05-23-2017, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Youtube it. Its not that difficult. Plenty of how to on youtube.