Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   No oil light, car won't crank anymore...electrical problem? Help!! I give up.. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/no-oil-light-car-wont-crank-anymore-electrical-problem-help-i-give-up-940526/)

SkyLinER 07-27-2004 09:56 PM

No oil light, car won't crank anymore...electrical problem? Help!! I give up..

My b16a started up fine. Unitl I turned it off yesturday and it won't start again. When I turn the key to the second knodge, the oil light is not on along with the battery. Also, when I tried to start, nothing happens...and the speedometer keeps fluctuating back and fourth (going up and down, up to 70mph on the readings..)....still not sure what's wrong...

so...No oil light before or after key is turned to crank mode, speedometer fluactuating, car won't even crank....I give up..please help me....thanks

Car started fine the other day and runs fine...

setup:
b16aII
92-95 hatch
d16z6 engine wireharness
96 gsr tranny
gsr starter
eveything else is kept intact from hatch..

Modified by SkyLinER at 6:10 AM 8/2/2004

handa 07-27-2004 10:17 PM

Re: No oil light, car won't crank anymore...electrical problem? Help!! I give up.. (SkyLinER)

bump man i'd like to know too https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

Donkey85 07-27-2004 10:19 PM

Re: No oil light, car won't crank anymore...electrical problem? Help!! I give up.. (handa)

check your main fuses inside the engine bay

SkyLinER 07-27-2004 10:33 PM

Re: No oil light, car won't crank anymore...electrical problem? Help!! I give up.. (Donkey85)

already done that...fuses are fine..

handa 07-27-2004 10:54 PM

Re: No oil light, car won't crank anymore...electrical problem? Help!! I give up.. (SkyLinER)

a bad distributor has nothing to do with "no crank" would it? The motor does not crank.

IVI 07-27-2004 11:50 PM

Re: No oil light, car won't crank anymore...electrical problem? Help!! I give up.. (handa)

a faulty distributor would not have an effect on the car cranking.

it would prevent the car from starting.

not to state the obvious, but is your battery in good condition?

SkyLinER 07-28-2004 12:25 AM

Re: No oil light, car won't crank anymore...electrical problem? Help!! I give up.. (IVI)

battery in good condition.

SICKSOLSI 07-28-2004 12:25 AM

Re: No oil light, car won't crank anymore...electrical problem? Help!! I give up.. (IVI)

battery or starter

egsi 07-28-2004 01:42 AM

If u have power but the dashlights dont light up, it could be the ignition swith itself.

SkyLinER 07-28-2004 02:15 AM

Re: No oil light, car won't crank anymore...electrical problem? Help!! I give up.. (egsi)

ignition switch was fine.

mustninty 07-28-2004 03:02 AM

Dont know if this will work but what if you disconnected the battery and let the ecu reset (an hour or so). I had the exact same problem but with a different car. After asking around I found out that a faulty signal was sent to the ecu and basically tricked it into thinking something major was blown. Dont know if thats true or not but after reconnecting the battery I was good to go and the problem never came back up again.

Poop111444 07-28-2004 04:08 AM

Re: No oil light, car won't crank anymore...electrical problem? Help!! I give up.. (mustninty)

Are you sure your battery is ok? Can you blast your system and get your high beams on!?

There are power distribution fuses under the hood... on my car they are different then the standard ATC style fuses. Double check those maybe? I also believe there is an ignition switch fuse, double check that one too.

SkyLinER 07-28-2004 05:14 PM

Re: No oil light, car won't crank anymore...electrical problem? Help!! I give up.. (Poop111444)

all fuses under the hood are fine, I checked. I also switched battery too. Headlights work....even before, I could crank it.

Someone surely knows what's the problem I'm having....

SkyLinER 07-28-2004 05:43 PM

just took the starter to an auto part store...it was fine.

SkyLinER 07-28-2004 09:55 PM

Anyone?...

mnbv 07-28-2004 10:44 PM

that sucks man, free bump. If all else fails, bring it somewhere respectable to check it out.

SkyLinER 07-29-2004 09:03 AM

Re: No oil light, car won't crank anymore...electrical problem? Help!! I give up.. (mnbv)

can't bring it anywhere now...'cuz..can't get it started...https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emsad.gif

Please....someone must have had this problem before..please tell me what's going on...

crx_88_si 07-29-2004 09:24 AM

check thermostat ground.

does the CEL blink at all?

nocturnaldragon 07-29-2004 09:36 AM

Re: No oil light, car won't crank anymore...electrical problem? Help!! I give up.. (mustninty)

A faster way would be to disconect the battery like you said but also step on the brake pedal for about 10 seconds. Ecu's have transisters in there like your power cap on your sterio that act as mini battery's in a sense you need to draw current from them to discharge or youll be waiting for a long time for them to drain on there own with the extreamly little current the ecu draws. (The clock wont drain it nor will the lights i belive). Give that a try but i think its a fuse under the dash or a bad connection somewhere. try hooking the starter up directly aka bypass the switch to check that and use an ohm meter on the ignition switch and just double check it. its allways something simple. but i seriously think its a bad connection somewhere............. good luck! https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

SkyLinER 07-29-2004 11:14 PM

I'll try that...also, someone told me it could be the alarm that disable it...is that possible?

Poop111444 07-30-2004 03:24 AM

Yes, that is very possible. The alarm is daisychained into your starter wire. It could intercept the signal from the starter wire.

ef-sihatch 07-30-2004 07:41 AM

very possible that it is an electrical problem. check the ground connections throughout the vehicle, also take down the panel under your steering column and check voltage on the ignition wires (in your case ignition would be black w/ a yellow stripe (about 12 gauge wire)), if the car cranks its not the starter kill on the alarm otherwise it wouldn't carank at all

bump and good luck

SkyLinER 08-01-2004 09:08 PM

Re: No oil light, car won't crank anymore...electrical problem? Help!! I give up.. (ef-sihatch)

Well, it seems that there were signal and electricity to the starter. I am not sure why it wouldn't crank. Oh, by the way, before this I had a cel reading code 6, I think, some water temperature sensor thingy. I found out that it wasn't plugged in. It woudn't still won't crank after it was plugged in. I also had a code 14, but it started up fine even before I forgot to plug in the water temperature sensor thing. After turning the car off with that code 6, I noticed the oil light on the gauge next to the battery light didn't even turn on at all. I didn't mess with any wiring besides the engine harness. I only extended some wires and that was it..didn't touch any interior wires or wires that are attached to the body....what could be the problem? would the ecu sense something and shut the car down?

SkyLinER 08-03-2004 10:45 PM

Thanks everybody..I fixed it...turns out to be a ground problem...Yes...I checked all the grounds...all of them were fine and connected...then...I had this crazy idea...I took all the ground wires out and clean them with Brake cleaner...guess what it worked...car started right up...