Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NO high cam Vtec

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO high cam Vtec

My motor is not switching over from low cam to high cam Vtec. The motor is a poor mans type r, obd2. Im not throwing any cells for no vtec. The only cell i am throwing is o2 sensor which would not effect your vtec. Ive checked my oil level, solenoid , switched out solenoid's, wiring, the voltage on the solenoid, and voltage on my oil pressure switch. Everything was fine and i just cant figure out what the problem is. Ive come to the conclusion Ive probably got a problem internally in the head, but im not sure what to look for. Any help you guys could give me would really help out.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

would the o2 sensor code put the ecu into 'limp mode' and disable VTEC? just a thought, i'm not sure and could be wrong...
Old 03-22-2004, 11:48 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (goodbyegti)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goodbyegti &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would the o2 sensor code put the ecu into 'limp mode' and disable VTEC? just a thought, i'm not sure and could be wrong...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bingo. Oxygen sensor malfunction (heater circuit malfunction or whatever) will put your car into limp mode. You have no VTEC in limp mode.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Bingo. Oxygen sensor malfunction (heater circuit malfunction or whatever) will put your car into limp mode. You have no VTEC in limp mode.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this may be true for obd2 which i am not to familiar with.. but i know for a fact that my stock p28 ecu didnt disable vtec when my o2 sensor was not plugged in...

do you have enough oil in the engine and did you let it warm up? just making sure..
also check the screen filter for the vtec solinoid and make sure its clean.. it might not be letting oil through...
Old 03-22-2004, 12:09 PM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Bingo. Oxygen sensor malfunction (heater circuit malfunction or whatever) will put your car into limp mode. You have no VTEC in limp mode.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I could understand that but the only problem is it still does it even with my EMS
Old 03-22-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Re: (Cake-boy)

Also i do have Vtec at low cam when i moved my engagement point down to 4000 rpms my vtec would kick in it just will not switch over to my high cam.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:23 PM

with an o2 out obd2 does strange things. when my secondary was out i could not get into vtec period...granted this is on a stock everything set up...no after market management or anything.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:26 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cake-boy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also i do have Vtec at low cam when i moved my engagement point down to 4000 rpms my vtec would kick in it just will not switch over to my high cam.</TD></TR></TABLE>

eh? vtec at low cam? there is no vtec at low cam....just low cam

you said you did the poor man's type-r? what is this setup? ls block w/vtec head? did you take out that oil squirter block-off in the block so the oil can physically flow up to the head??
Old 03-22-2004, 12:35 PM

Default Re: (stackz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

eh? vtec at low cam? there is no vtec at low cam....just low cam

you said you did the poor man's type-r? what is this setup? ls block w/vtec head? did you take out that oil squirter block-off in the block so the oil can physically flow up to the head??</TD></TR></TABLE>

A Poor man's type-r is a GSR block with a b16 head , If i had used a Ls block my motor would have been an ls vtec
Old 03-22-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Re: NO high cam Vtec (Cake-boy)

anybody else
Old 03-23-2004, 04:55 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cake-boy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A Poor man's type-r is a GSR block with a b16 head , If i had used a Ls block my motor would have been an ls vtec</TD></TR></TABLE>

well hiss to you too

since you've tried everything with the solenoid and wiring that you can think of why dont you go ahead and fix the o2 sensor problem and see what happens.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a note, im running an obd2 gsr motor on a p72 obd1 computer with no 02 and mine still hits vtec.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:52 AM
el diablo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (stackz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
since you've tried everything with the solenoid and wiring that you can think of why dont you go ahead and fix the o2 sensor problem and see what happens.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed. i think this will help you out more than you think.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2000CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2000CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with an o2 out obd2 does strange things. when my secondary was out i could not get into vtec period...granted this is on a stock everything set up...no after market management or anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have my primary O2 pulled and wrapped in foil in my bay. Hasn't affected anything that I've noticed but it's still hooked up/working, getting ready to put it back in with my new header though. But he should try to get any CEL's off. What type of EMS or piggyback is he running?
Old 03-23-2004, 08:07 AM

vtec will still pop thats not your problem .......... but i have no idea not exactly a pro at this but i had 3 cel's on my obd2 and my vtec still hit
Old 03-23-2004, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IDriveAHonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IDriveAHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have my primary O2 pulled and wrapped in foil in my bay. Hasn't affected anything that I've noticed but it's still hooked up/working, getting ready to put it back in with my new header though. But he should try to get any CEL's off. What type of EMS or piggyback is he running?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Having your o2 sensor hanging around in your engine bay will cause your car to run extremely rich since its not reading any exhaust in the air... It's better to unplug it completely until you are ready to fix the problem, at least your ecu will use a default fuel map instead of trying to up the fuel to compensate for all the o2 its reading out of the engine bay..

I've had plenty of experience with people running their cars like this since a local shop does butcher work like that... I don't recommend it.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hadehatch)

Yeah, I did it because someone sent me the wrong manifold. So I just wrapped it, I can't wait to get the header in and get that CEL off.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IDriveAHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I did it because someone sent me the wrong manifold. So I just wrapped it, I can't wait to get the header in and get that CEL off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was saying that wrapping it would cause more problems than just unplugging it.. If you plan on driving it like that you should just unplug it. Leaving it exposed to air will make the car think the exhaust is VERY lean and it will dump gas into your motor.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hadehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was saying that wrapping it would cause more problems than just unplugging it.. If you plan on driving it like that you should just unplug it. Leaving it exposed to air will make the car think the exhaust is VERY lean and it will dump gas into your motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty sure they have to be hot before they work so it wont read anything in the bay and will probably cause it to run a preset map anyway...
Old 03-23-2004, 04:00 PM

yeah Ive been running without my Secondary O2 for a long Ive run test pipes many times with no problem. And vtec was working with the O2 sensor cell on, And them for some reason my vtec just stopped engaging.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IDriveAHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have my primary O2 pulled and wrapped in foil in my bay. Hasn't affected anything that I've noticed but it's still hooked up/working, getting ready to put it back in with my new header though. But he should try to get any CEL's off. What type of EMS or piggyback is he running?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im running Aem's Ems
Old 03-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goodbyegti &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm pretty sure they have to be hot before they work so it wont read anything in the bay and will probably cause it to run a preset map anyway...</TD></TR></TABLE>

only obd0 cars have non heated o2 sensors...
Old 03-23-2004, 07:43 PM

any buddy else?
Old 03-24-2004, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hadehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

only obd0 cars have non heated o2 sensors...</TD></TR></TABLE>

heated or not it still has to get hot before it works
Old 03-24-2004, 05:06 PM

put on my cat and reattached my 02 sensor just to try and see if it would work, cell is gone but still no vtec.

Quick Reply: NO high cam Vtec