No heat (Im so cold)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No heat (Im so cold)

98 ek civic hatch
B18a1 engine swap

Ok guys, its about 18 degrees outside and here is whats going on with my car. I have no heat. I turn my car on let it warm up for about 15 minutes and nothing. I checked my coolant and its good and full. I checked my blower motor and its also good cause i feel the air blowing through my vents. My heater core is not leaking, can not see any leaks on the passenger floor. I have not checked my therm yet but could that be the problem. Someone please give me some pointers on what to look for and diag it. Thank you and appreciate everyones in put from small to big. Happy holidays everyone.
spags930 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: No heat (Im so cold)

srry to be rude and i wish you the best of luck with solving your problem but

i laughed at your thread title, it was pretty funny im sorry
Old 12-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Open the hood and follow the heater hoses to the firewall. One of the heater hoses has a valve that can be turned manually. Make sure it is turned to full open so that hot coolant can flow through the heater core.

Another possibility is that the thermostat is stuck open. The fix is to replace it.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would check the thermo first, any leaks and such..

best of luck, this winter is gunna be a cold one
Old 12-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

didnt see a valve john but i believe your right it is the thermostat and i am going to put a new one in tomorrow because even my gauge for my temperature is running cold which in turn might mean that the therm is constantly open. Is that right? thankyou for the help. Now i just have to put it in with a severe snow storm dropping i think a foot and more with no garage.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spags930
didnt see a valve john but i believe your right it is the thermostat and i am going to put a new one in tomorrow because even my gauge for my temperature is running cold which in turn might mean that the therm is constantly open. Is that right? thankyou for the help.
Yep, sounds like the thermostat is stuck open. Replace it and then bleed the cooling system.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:49 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

didnt see a valve john but i believe your right it is the thermostat and i am going to put a new one in tomorrow because even my gauge for my temperature is running cold which in turn might mean that the therm is constantly open. Is that right? thankyou for the help. Now i just have to put it in with a severe snow storm dropping i think a foot and more with no garage.
Are you saying that your car never really heats up fully?

There's your problem then. Probably 75% chance it's the thermostat, assuming that you're full of coolant and don't have any major air pockets in the system. If the engine never heats up, your heater's never going to work. And, if your engine isn't heating up, the thermostat's stuck.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought it was the thermostat and put a new one in which it could have been cause once i put it in and bleed the system there was heat but i was bleeding the system for about 30 minutes. i drove the car around for couple minutes and the heat just wasn't cutting it and keeping me warm. So i thought lets bleed the system some more and see if i can get it hotter, and then i lost the little bit of luke warm air i had to just cold air coming out now. I can not get the heat to come back after i cracked the bleeder located at the top of the radiator hose going into the motor. I know the valve is on going into the firewall and i am getting a steady stream of coolant and no air out of the bleeder. coolant is filled up and not burping anymore. can someone please tell me the proper way or order i have to bleed the system. Im pretty sure i have a pocket of air stuck in the lines somewhere. Does it sound like i have an air pocket or is something going on with the new thermostat i put it not working properly. There are no leaks around the new therm.

When i move the temp gauge to hot and cold i can feel a chage from extremely outside temperature cold air blowing in to when i change it to the hot side it warms up but barely any at all

Upper rad hose is hot

Lower radiator hose feels almost cold to touch not much warmth at all to it. Just feels cold.

Temperature for engine is about half way mark

both hoses going into the heater core (firewall entrance) are hot but not extremely hot i can hold them but they are hot.

I can see the on off valve moving for the heater core so that is open
Old 12-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 12-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe the heater core is clogged with debris. You may want to try flushing it out with a garden hose.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a question ron. It feels like my lower rad hose is not warming up at all what could that be. Also my coolant isnt dirty at all it is clean but i do understand what you mean there is a very good chance there is debris from something inside my heater core just messing it up. What do i do take a garden hose to my upper radiator hose put it in it and unplug the the lower hose from the radiator so it drains out of the motor and radiator?
Old 12-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also ron do you have any other suggestions on what else i should do after i do the coolant flush. Replace, check, or clean. I just dont get it i had semi warm air coming out after i put the new therm in and bleed the system then then i cracked the bleeder to see if i can get it hotter and lost it all together.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It feels like my lower rad hose is not warming up at all what could that be.

This makes me think the radiator is also clogged.

What do i do take a garden hose to my upper radiator hose put it in it and unplug the the lower hose from the radiator so it drains out of the motor and radiator?

Yes, basically. You could also route the lower hose to drain under the car.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also ron do you have any other suggestions on what else i should do after i do the coolant flush. Replace, check, or clean. I just dont get it i had semi warm air coming out after i put the new therm in and bleed the system then then i cracked the bleeder to see if i can get it hotter and lost it all together.
Try a thorough flush of the heater core and radiator and then go from there.

If the dash temp gauge says the engine is getting hot, then you may want to verify that the heater valve is actually opening.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i am also manually opening the valve right at the firewall and might just bypass that switch all together and put a straight piece of hose and tie it in where that valve should be. to flush the heater core how do i go about that just also take one end of the hose off of the inlet put the hose in there and keep the outlet one hooked up to the block and leave the lower radiator hose disconnected and let the junk run out there

is there any way to check the radiator for clogs such as pull the bottom radiator hose let it all drain out and pour water through the radiator watching to see if it all comes out at a steady pace
Old 12-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update Update Update.
ok i now have the lower hose getting hot which was not at all . The inlet hose to the heater core is burning hot now but the outlet hose is cold. Im gonna bank on my heater core is clogged like john told me and needs to be flushed.
appreciate all the help everyone has given me in the step by steps so im not freezing my *** off anymore. Now i just have to flush the heater core and i think i should be good. Tell me if that sounds right im just going off helpful tips of others. thank you
Old 01-13-2010, 02:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update Update Update.
ok i now have the lower hose getting hot which was not at all . The inlet hose to the heater core is burning hot now but the outlet hose is cold. Im gonna bank on my heater core is clogged like john told me and needs to be flushed.
appreciate all the help everyone has given me in the step by steps so im not freezing my *** off anymore. Now i just have to flush the heater core and i think i should be good. Tell me if that sounds right im just going off helpful tips of others. thank you
hey man there is 2 hoses like u said one is hot and one aint check the hot one there should be a valve near the fire wall make sure it is open that is the valve that makes the coolant circulate though the core from the hot one to the cold hose if ur car does warm up and stays warm thought u driving it aint gonna be ur thermostat