Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

No Crank, No Click, No Start.....and then Starts

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Crank, No Click, No Start.....and then Starts

I have a 95 Civic ex coupe. I tried to start it today and it wouldn't start....obviously. The battery, as far as i know, is good because i have never had any issue with it and the lights, cd player, and everything electrical worked when the key was turned. I tried to start the car a few times and I heard no click, no crank, only the sound of the fuel filter....i think that is what it was. After a couple of tries i stopped, opened the hood although i really didn't know what i was looking for, closed the hood, went back in and tried to start the car and it started no problem. I drove home, turned the car off and started it a couple times and had no issue.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Thanks fellas.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:14 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Re: No Crank, No Click, No Start.....and then Starts

Take your battery to an autoparts store and have them verify it's good. It's probably not.

At the very least, you may need to poor some distilled water into it if you've got a standard lead-acid car battery.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:40 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely check all connections first off. Make sure everything is tight and not corroded.Very common no start culprit.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do that first ^^^^^ But I also had the same problem in my Eh hatch. I would hold the key in the start position for about 5 seconds before it would even try to crank. Just like you the fuel pump primed but no start/crank. All my grounds were good and it did it randomly, sometimes leaving me stranded. I replaced my starter and the problem went away. Take your starter off and have it checked at your local auto store. Im almost certain this is your issue but have it tested before you replace it.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eh2_Trav
Do that first ^^^^^ But I also had the same problem in my Eh hatch. I would hold the key in the start position for about 5 seconds before it would even try to crank. Just like you the fuel pump primed but no start/crank. All my grounds were good and it did it randomly, sometimes leaving me stranded. I replaced my starter and the problem went away. Take your starter off and have it checked at your local auto store. Im almost certain this is your issue but have it tested before you replace it.
Yes... if' it's not the battery than most likely the starter. Starter replacement is a fairly simple DIY and there should be write-ups and vids online. You can download a free 6th gen service manual as well and find starter replacement info. If,the battery is still good then remove the starter and bring it to an auto parts store for testing and make sure you watch the speed it spins at during testing. The starter gear should spin fast and if it doesn't it's a dragging/failing (but not toatally failed) and it needs to be replaced. Junkyard is the cheapest option for used OEM. Startrs can be rebuilt too but, hard to find any place that does that nowadays.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...video-3279906/