Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

no brakes AT ALL

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no brakes AT ALL

So today during my lunch break I was driving back to the office with three coworkers in my eg hatch. I was going to bust through a yellow light, but decided to make better of it, so I tried to slam on my brakes. Well, low and behold I slam on the brake pedal, hear or feel a pop and my foot is on the floor. I grab the e brake and manage to stop before I rolled into the oncoming traffic of a four lane road. Somehow I managed not to completely embarrass myself and get everyone killed bc noone believed that I had NO BRAKES. Well, thereafter I demonstrated to them how serious this problem was....I literally cannot stop at all.

Anyway, I have had rear brake problems for a while (drum has been disinegrating and i've heard scraping for about a month, but I've been holding off so that I can install my F+R integra brakes that i've already purchased when I have enough time to do the job. The front brakes seemed to be fine and the car had been stopping well, aside from the scraping rear drums.

My recommendation to everyone is NOT TO IGNORE ANY PROBLEMS WITH YOUR BRAKES, NO MATTER HOW INSIGNIFICANT THE PROBLEM MIGHT SEEM! You don't want to kill yourself, your coworkers or oncoming traffic.

Now since this is a tech section, I do have a few basic tech questions. Has anyone heard of something similar...someone totally totally losing all brakes in a similar type of situation. I did notice a pool of liquid under the passenger side rear wheel, which is where the problem was occuring in the first place.

Basically, I'm hoping that I haven't f***ed anything else up, so that I can just proceed and do my brake swap this weekend. Does anyone know if anything else have been damaged that would cause problems when I install the integra brakes (ie could there be a problem with the hardlines??))

Any advice would be sweet. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Re: no brakes AT ALL (jlsmi2)

maybe your wheel cyclinder(s) are blown which all your brake fluid came from(puddle of liquid).

bottoming out your brake pedal could possibly **** up your master cylinder because it is being fully compressed

could have a punctured hardline which can be leaking

the only way you can really lose your brakes is if you lose all of your brake fliud(which i would think happen to u because you saw a puddle of liquid).even if you had barely any brake pad left,the friction of the metal to metal would stop the car.

check your master cylinder,wheel cyclinders,calipers,brake hoses,then check your hardlines.somehting is leaking

also,if your brakes are grinding,that usually says you need to change your brakes now.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:40 PM

It happened to me in one of my beaters twice before I got rid of it. The rust and corrosion on the steel brake lines became so bad, that one day I stepped on the brake pedal and it gave... no brakes. I almost crashed into a house.

The first time, I just replaced the line that burst. The second time it happened, it was a different line, same problem. I just replaced all the lines after the second time. I did them all myself on a hoist at work... it's not a job for a do it yourselfer on the ground in your driveway.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: no brakes AT ALL (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CycloneBlue_1.6EL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It happened to me in one of my beaters twice before I got rid of it. The rust and corrosion on the steel brake lines became so bad, that one day I stepped on the brake pedal and it gave... no brakes. I almost crashed into a house.

The first time, I just replaced the line that burst. The second time it happened, it was a different line, same problem. I just replaced all the lines after the second time. I did them all myself on a hoist at work... it's not a job for a do it yourselfer on the ground in your driveway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Were those soft lines or hardlines that you're talking about that burst..This definitely sounds like what happened... I was letting them go bc I have F+R integra swaps I was putting on this weekend and a new larger 15/16 MC to go with the swap. But there was definitely a "pop" and fluid coming from the wheel with the damaged drum.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: no brakes AT ALL (eg6T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe your wheel cyclinder(s) are blown which all your brake fluid came from(puddle of liquid).</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what my friend who is helping me with the brake swap this weekend suggested might have happend bc of the worn drum.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
bottoming out your brake pedal could possibly **** up your master cylinder because it is being fully compressed

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Luckily I'm not too concerned about this bc I have a new MC out of a 91 EX for the larger front discs and I have to send my current one back to refund the core charge.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could have a punctured hardline which can be leaking </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea...that would suck if this is the case since I'm tryin to do the brake swap this weekend.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
also,if your brakes are grinding,that usually says you need to change your brakes now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well thanks for the advice I realized that I was taking a risk but didn't expect to have all brakes go.... it was stopping fine otherwise, just the rear drums were toast.....

I'll update on how the brake swap goes soon...i'll try to remember to take digital photos..

any other comments or suggestions about the possible problems??

thanks for all the input

Old 02-12-2005, 09:40 AM

It was one of the hardlines that burst on my car. When any one of the brake lines go, all the brakes stop working. I would get under your car and try to find out where the leak is coming from. If it was one of the hardlines that went, you'll need to replace the blown one... but I would consider replacing all of them because the same thing is going to happen to the other ones soon enough. It's not an easy job unless you have all the right tools... and even then, you have to know what you're doing. It would also be a very big PITA doing it with the car on jackstands...
Old 02-12-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: no brakes AT ALL (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

we'll be giving her a look today .. all i got are jackstands and a huge jack.... and some cinderblocks.