Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

no brake pressure/ brake feel when car is on- after replacing spindles

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon6 no brake pressure/ brake feel when car is on- after replacing spindles

here's the deal i am about to give in and pay "mechanic" to fix my brake problem. But i dont want to pay a guy for something i can do at home. i really cant figure it out... brake pressure builds up a little bit when car is off but goes away when i start the car. pedal goes all the way to the floor without any resistance/pressure. brakes do not grab at all. I have bench bled the MC and gravity bled the whole car until i saw no air bubbles. (took a very long time 1 hour with at least 30flz of brake fluid) then bleed it with a friend pumping on brakes and about several times. still nothing i am pretty sure there are no air bubbles in my system. no leaks of any kind. problem started when i cracked open my brake line hoses from caliper in front of car when i replaced my spindles. my first theory was that maybe its air in system. i tried to bleed and still nothing. so i changed out my leaking MC and booster. for a good one off of a friends wrecked ej. still nothing. ANY ideas?

-- replaced 3 MC'S
-- 2 brake boosters
-- 4 check valves
-- 2 hoses
Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: no brake pressure/ brake feel when car is on- after replacing spindles

Originally Posted by owneyboy
... brake pressure builds up a little bit when car is off but goes away when i start the car. pedal goes all the way to the floor without any resistance/pressure. brakes do not grab at all.

This happens because vacuum brake assist from the booster kicks in when the engine is running.

I have bench bled the MC and gravity bled the whole car until i saw no air bubbles. (took a very long time 1 hour with at least 30flz of brake fluid) then bleed it with a friend pumping on brakes and about several times. still nothing i am pretty sure there are no air bubbles in my system. no leaks of any kind.

Did you bleed the system in the correct wheel order?

problem started when i cracked open my brake line hoses from caliper in front of car when i replaced my spindles. my first theory was that maybe its air in system. i tried to bleed and still nothing. so i changed out my leaking MC and booster. for a good one off of a friends wrecked ej. still nothing. ANY ideas?

Most likely, there is still air in the system.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: no brake pressure/ brake feel when car is on- after replacing spindles

i did them a couple different times... if i still got air in the system i would be mad as hell.. ive been bleeding them for hours and a few different days and with 4 different buddies of mine who works on cars. none of them can figure it out..

first order furthest from MC RR RL FL FR
second order legit Honda order? RL FR RR FL
Old 06-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep pumping and check for leaks, is your vaccum line hook up to the manifold, and is the valve in the correct way.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess ima try this one last time if it dont work i give up
Old 06-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shawn_crx
keep pumping and check for leaks, is your vaccum line hook up to the manifold, and is the valve in the correct way.
for sure i had tiny tiny tiny tiny drips from the banjo bolt from the brake line i snapped mine and i had to replace with a stock banjo bolt which was 1/8-1/16" to long so i had to add a second crush washer which resulted in a little leak doesnt drip anymore but it could still be leaking a bit . i have steel braided lines so that bolt was after market. check valve is facing the right way
Old 06-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Believe me sometimes getting air out of the lines can be a pain in the ***! Having someone help you if you don't have one of those self-kits is much better. I know how frustrating it could be so good luck!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i bled/ gravity bled, then re-beld agian still no brake pressure. i went through a whole galon of fluid already
Old 06-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know this is a stupid question but your not leting the master cyclinder go empty and getting air sucked in are you?
Old 06-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

na never
Old 06-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i tried to bleed again because thats what pretty much everybody is telling me to do and still nothing same results. i noticed that when i would push the brakes the fluid level in resovoir would go down but when i let go the fluid goes back up? someone told me that means bad MC... or air in line can anyone confirm this???
Old 06-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you bleed the MC after you installed it on the car? i had this problem on an old 73 dodge dart, I replaced the booster/MC and went to bleed the brakes and didn't make any pressure then someone asked me if i bled the MC, well needless to say after I did that everything was all good
Old 06-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i went through a gallon of brake fluid... bled several times. and correctly.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i noticed that when i would push the brakes the fluid level in resovoir would go down but when i let go the fluid goes back up? someone told me that means bad MC... or air in line can anyone confirm this???
Old 06-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by owneyboy
i noticed that when i would push the brakes the fluid level in resovoir would go down but when i let go the fluid goes back up? someone told me that means bad MC... or air in line can anyone confirm this???
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz man, sounds like the mc is farkled, the valving or seals aren't doing their job correctly. go buy a rebuilt mc and end this farce.

NOTE, you may need to adjust the length of the push rod on the pedal end to get the "free play" correct.
While your at it, fix the damn banjo bolt leak too, under pressure it will be much worse.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just a little mad because i changed out the MC 4 times and booster 3 times. im going to opt to buy a remanufactured autozone MC and see what it does
Old 06-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bench bleed the MC. make sure it has no air. How is the pressure at each wheel? does it shoot out a foot distance or does it squirt out like broken water fountain?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you cracked the lines open on the master cylinder and bled it there while someone is holding the peddle, oh and make sure you dont have the lines twisted, and it sounds dumb, but are the calipers on the right sides? make sure the bleeders are up
Old 06-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is their the correct size wahsers under and over the banjo bolts for the calipers?Bad prop. vavle?
Old 06-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b1u3_5i
bench bleed the MC. make sure it has no air. How is the pressure at each wheel? does it shoot out a foot distance or does it squirt out like broken water fountain?

yeah they are all good pressure, steady clear streams all around
Old 06-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by si_motor_spt
is their the correct size wahsers under and over the banjo bolts for the calipers?Bad prop. vavle?
yeah there cool unsure about prop valve
Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by skuded
have you cracked the lines open on the master cylinder and bled it there while someone is holding the peddle, oh and make sure you dont have the lines twisted, and it sounds dumb, but are the calipers on the right sides? make sure the bleeders are up

yeah everything look to be working/good condition but just not pressure or grab
Old 06-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you take the calipers all the way off when you removed them, including the lines, and what all did you replace right before the problem started?
Old 06-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by skuded
did you take the calipers all the way off when you removed them, including the lines, and what all did you replace right before the problem started?

yeah i replaced spindles only.. took of the banjo bolt off of the /brake line (front only). everything else worked fine

Quick Reply: no brake pressure/ brake feel when car is on- after replacing spindles