Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Nitrous on SOHC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous on SOHC?

I have an extra nitrous bottle sitting in my garage. So I thought, why not get the rest of the system and put it in the Civic for a little fun?

Anyways, who's running nitrous in their SOHC's? I have a 98 EX. And how much are you squeezing? I was thinking something like a dry setup with 40-50hp jets. It's STILL my daily driver! But if I do blow the engine, it'll be a good excuse to do a hybrid.

But since I have an FD, I rather just get a little kick when I'm not driving the 7. Thanx for any input...
Old 09-07-2001, 08:13 AM
New User

Default Re: Nitrous on SOHC? (Prelude_RCR)

I think that any motor would react the same general way to nitrous. The D series motors cant handle as much as the B series due to their cheaper construction and weaker parts. I would recommend if you're going to run any shot, do it with a wet system, always play it safe.
Old 09-07-2001, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nitrous on SOHC? (92CivicSiR)

Would the fuel pump be sufficient for even a single nozzle, wet system? Or how about the dry system that raises fuel pressure? I have no idea about the capabilities of the fuel system in the Civic. Maybe if I don't know, I shouldn't even be asking about nitrous huh?!...LOL!

Old 09-07-2001, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your motor is in good shape, you can easily run a 50 or 60 shot. If that is all you plan to shoot, a dry system will work fine for you. It is quite a bit easier to install and easy to hide (if you choose to).
Retard your timing two degrees and get colder spark plugs.
Istall it correctly, use it wisely, and you will be addicted.
Good luck
Old 09-07-2001, 08:33 PM
New User

Dry system single fogger: 40 shot is the biggest you can run without upgrading your fuel system

Wet system single fogger: 50 shot anything bigger requires using octane booster and upping fuel pressure

On a SOHC you can run up to a 75 shot single fogger wet system(that is pushing it...I suggest no bigger than 60 shot) but remember anything bigger than a 50 shot requires fuel upgrades

You cannot use a 4 fogger direct port on a stock SOHC because the smallest shot for that kit is an 80 shot.

Remember to run one step colder heat range on the plugs also when running NOS
Old 09-09-2001, 06:31 PM
New User

DAMN SOHC... if yer gonna....... then up your fuel and retard the timing and give it a good 60. don't have to go crazy with the fuel.... after that you'll probably get into the low 10's in the 1/8 mile with the help of boltons
Old 09-09-2001, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nitrous on SOHC? (shogokocoupe)

you should be quite a bit more than low 10s mid 9's easily
Old 09-10-2001, 11:02 AM
New User

Default Re: Nitrous on SOHC? (90accord1)

Ok, you all need to get one thing straight a NOS single fogger wet system is made to be used on a turboed or supercharged car and not on a all motor car. The proper kit to use for your 98 ex is going to be a NOS dry manifold kit, if you are running this kit you will not need to purchase a fpr because the kit comes with a way to raise fuel pressure. The kit has a brass T that connects to the intake plenum and the stock fpr, when the nitrous is engaged it will spray nitrous to the T which will push down the stock fpr causing the fuel pressure to raise to above 50psi which in turn will ground the second solenoid via a hobb switch on the fuel line and will give you your complete hit of nitrous. The most I would jet your ex would be a 40 shot just enough to have some fun and not enough to do any damage. Just make sure you run the right kit for your application. Running a single fogger wet system on a n/a car is very bad. With the wet kit it sprays fuel thru the intake pipe and then past the throttle body and then down the intake runners, the reason this kit is only good for a super charged or turboed car is the simple fact that you have boost pushing the fuel and the nitrous in to the intake and down the runners. With out boost to force the fuel and nitrous in you will have fuel puddling which can easily cause a top fire, or make the car run lean. Every car I have seen break from the use of nitrous was because they where running the wrong kit.
Old 09-10-2001, 04:17 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Nitrous on SOHC? (EVOCELICA)

I ran a 50 shot dry NOS kit when i had the SOHC in, no problems at all. It was a nice boost of power, extremely simple to install, and relatively cheap. Just don't expect to use it too often, the bottles run out real quick when you're having fun.
Old 09-10-2001, 04:24 PM
New User

Default Re: Nitrous on SOHC? (90accord1)

whhhhaaaaatttttt mid 9's with a soch nitrous
Old 09-10-2001, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Nitrous on SOHC? (Turbohatch)

whhhhaaaaatttttt mid 9's with a soch nitrous
They are refering to 1/8 mile times, not 1/4 mile.
If only it were that easy.
Old 09-11-2001, 05:15 AM
New User

Default Re: Nitrous on SOHC? (DragonCTR69)

No joke about not underestimating the D16. If you build the internals and throw an F-Max turbo on there, that's some freaky power...

Old 09-11-2001, 01:33 PM
New User

Default Re: Nitrous on SOHC? (spyder)

NOS on a D16 is safe depending on how you squeez...If you use it safely you'll be jsut fine. I wouldn't reccomend running anything more than a 50-60 shot unless you build the motor.
I'd reccomend gonig with NOS brand personally but any NOS kit SHOULD be fine...you will have to get an aftermarket Fuel Pressure Regulator and run 92+ Octane and that's about all that I know of but you should be fine...jsut use it SAFELY...Good Luck!
Old 09-11-2001, 11:32 PM
New User

i ran a 50 wet shot on my DX hatch with no problems, i would recomned a wet kit i loved my NX kit it was the shiznit
Old 09-12-2001, 10:26 AM
New User

Default Re: Nitrous on SOHC? (spyder)

No joke about not underestimating the D16. If you build the internals and throw an F-Max turbo on there, that's some freaky power...
I agree with you totally. That is exactly what i am doing. I am building my D16Z6 all around, then throwing an upgraded F-MAX turbo kit on it. mucho power
Old 09-12-2001, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the gas on my 98 Civic EX that thing was kicking some *** trust me I had a dry shot 60 hp never had a problem out of it I recently sold it to a friend that has a 99 Civic EX that is an automatic and now it is kicking *** well just on other civic's and things but my car would out run Mustangs that is all that mattered to me at that time. Well worth the money in my own opinion it made my d16y8 get down.
Old 09-12-2001, 07:43 PM
New User

Default Re: Nitrous on SOHC? (ringgold)

If you really want to go fast leave the jet out. Your car will last for about three bottles. I know from experiance. A it was ******* fast. The bottle only last for about five full passes.

[Modified by b18b1slmd3dr, 4:44 AM 9/13/2001]
Old 09-12-2001, 07:54 PM
New User

Default Re: Nitrous on SOHC? (DragonCTR69)

SOHC... Don't underestimate this little engine after all it's a Honda and it was built with the same race technology that the Bseries and H series engine. Totally Stock I wouldn't go more than 50 shot, but if you want to rebuild the bottom end and get a better headgasket you know RODs Pistons the works.. then I know a guy with a 96 EX that runs a 150 shot He hAS NEVER BLOWN HIS ENGINE. D series gets no respect around here and it's ashame. Most people would rather do a swap, but a built d series will run any stock b series or H ANY DAY.

Hey DragonCTwannabe R Your a dum ***. Ok the SOHC is cool if you want a slow car that gets good gas mileage. But if you like speed your not going to get it from a SOHC, sorry. The opitions are limited with a SOHC. Swaps are the only way to go. I was in your shoes not to long a go. I wan't to build the badest most fast most coolest SOHC. Then I saw the light or maybe it was because I blow my SOHC up on NOS. I will never drive a SOHC again. There slow slow slow and allways be slow.

[Modified by b18b1slmd3dr, 4:57 AM 9/13/2001]
Old 09-12-2001, 09:57 PM
New User

Default Re: Nitrous on SOHC? (b18b1slmd3dr)

Hey DragonCTwannabe R Your a dum ***. Ok the SOHC is cool if you want a slow car that gets good gas mileage. But if you like speed your not going to get it from a SOHC, sorry. The opitions are limited with a SOHC. Swaps are the only way to go. I was in your shoes not to long a go. I wan't to build the badest most fast most coolest SOHC. Then I saw the light or maybe it was because I blow my SOHC up on NOS. I will never drive a SOHC again. There slow slow slow and allways be slow.

[Modified by b18b1slmd3dr, 4:57 AM 9/13/2001]
Man, thats not correct and you know it. There are too many people that have built and turbo'd SOHC's for anyone to say that. Theres a guy on this board right now whose building his engine and slappin' on a FMAX turbo. He expects to run low to mid 12's. (92CivicSiR) My friend has a greddy kit with no intercooler at 5 psi, and he roasts Sis, GSRs, and can hang with alot of other faster cars. You know your wrong when you're saying they can't be fast. Simply not true. The pistons, rods, and rings are not a strong as a B16 engine, but they can be built for speed. B series motors especially the Si engines aren't Gods gift to racers. They have to be modified to go fast just like any other Honda/Acura.
Old 09-13-2001, 11:44 AM
New User

Default Re: Nitrous on SOHC? (DeceitfulCivic)

OK OK I'm sorry. The SOHC can be quick. With allot of time and money. It's like you buddy with who smokes GSR's and SI's with the Greddy kit on the SOHC. Now put the turbo on the GSR and see who smokes who. I'm not trying to fight I just want to make a point. SOHC are limited to what you can do. You can do so much more to a DOHC. I agree to the SI part. I'm not impressed with the stock B16A. I don't hate it but people think a stock B16A are so fast. I just wanted to say SOHC are limited. Y
Old 09-13-2001, 12:09 PM
New User

hey dustin!!!!! it's kevin!!! so whats wrong with a B16A, hahaha jusss playin!!! neways u headed to RMR tomorrow?!?!?! give me a call DOHC's rule, SOHC's drool!!! HAHAHAHAHA
Old 09-13-2001, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nitrous on SOHC? (image-evo1)

what's the cheapest i could do a 40 or 50-shot for? i mean dirt cheap.
Old 09-14-2001, 05:16 AM
New User

[QUOTE]
Hey DragonCTwannabe R Your a dum ***. Ok the SOHC is cool if you want a slow car that gets good gas mileage. But if you like speed your not going to get it from a SOHC, sorry. The opitions are limited with a SOHC. Swaps are the only way to go. I was in your shoes not to long a go. I wan't to build the badest most fast most coolest SOHC. Then I saw the light or maybe it was because I blow my SOHC up on NOS. I will never drive a SOHC again. There slow slow slow and allways be slow. [QUOTE]

Ok ok, let's see here. So let me see if I am understanding you correctly. Since my car has a SOHC in there, it is going to be slow right?!?!?! I guess that you want to race me for some pink slips right?!?! Now don't take ME wrong, I'm not trying to envoke a fight here or anything. I do agree that the SOHC is limited compared to the potential of a DOHC, but not completely worthless. I am in the process of building a SOHC for a 92 Si HB that I bet will hand you your *** in a silver platter. Just because the SOHC doesn't have all the hype of a DOHC doesn't mean anything. I know that you can still rob just about as much HP out of a SOHC as you can out of a DOHC, just it's not as tuneable. So, I guess if I see you on the streets and challenge you for titles, I can tell you I have a SOHC and you will race me no problem??!?!?!? Good, I got a new car then. Don't ever underestimate a SOHC. I know that they don't have the hype like the DOHC, but jsut as much street potential as practically possible, unless you are going to drive a full race dragster on the city roads.
Old 09-14-2001, 06:25 AM
Trial User

There's a reason very few people build SOHCs - they've seen the results of those who have tried the SOHC route. If you're building a SOHC dragster that you plan to drive on the street, I REALLY doubt you know what you're getting into, but you seem set in your plan.

As far as racing for pink slips, talk like that on an internet forum just makes you look immature. This is a tech board, not a forum for who's car is faster/gonna race for pink slips (BS) pissing matches.
Old 09-14-2001, 09:32 AM
New User

Default Re: Nitrous on SOHC? (Phantom)

Ok, first of all, I'm not trying to sound immature or like a dick head or something. I am just saying, that for practical street/strip use a SOHC will kick the **** out of about 80% of the cars running around out there. I don't feel that there is any need for a fully built DOHC to be running around the local streets. I just don't see the need for the extreme potential of the DOHC for a daily driven street/strip car. I don't know if you understand the point that I am trying to make, and I really don't care.

Quick Reply: Nitrous on SOHC?