Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

night driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default night driving

are cars generally faster at night? kind of a stupid question but it seems like my car (and all other cars for that matter) seems peppier at night, idk if its just a mental thing or is the air colder/wetter give u a noticeable gain?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:11 PM

Default Re: night driving (obuhmyuh)

wow, its most def a mental thing. I know what you mean it does seem like it but its not. Cooler air does help but i dont think its going to help that much fom changing from day to night.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Colder air creates a slightly better A/F mixture promoting a bit better performance -- I know this is true at least for turbo'd cars.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: night driving (JEGD16Z6)

hmmm yeah thats weird, it really seems like it. retarded question, but i just wanted to know what everyone else thinks...
Old 03-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car seems to run smoother and quieter at night, wierd.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95jdmcivic)

my car seems to run a little better at night. I wouldnt necessarily say faster, but it generally does better at night.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95jdmcivic)

my car deffanitly seems faster in the cold.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 PM
* B A N N E D *

cooler air will help, and so you know the air isn't wetter at night, just cooler, cooler air will hold less humidity...
Old 03-11-2008, 11:00 PM

Default Re: (99GreenEX)

SEEMS that way to me, but I doubt it
Old 03-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: night driving (ke98248)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Colder air creates a slightly better A/F mixture promoting a bit better performance -- I know this is true at least for turbo'd cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 03-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99GreenEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cooler air will help, and so you know the air isn't wetter at night, just cooler, cooler air will hold less humidity...</TD></TR></TABLE>

not sure where you're from but i know in socal its definately wetter at night (not much), thus dew on the grass on my lawn and all over my car in the a.m.

edit: and there was a slash in my OP colder/wetter
Old 03-12-2008, 11:18 AM
* B A N N E D *

guess where the dew on your lawn came from... the air, air gets colder and it holds less humidity then falls to the ground... learned this in 9th grade science...
Old 03-12-2008, 12:12 PM

Default Re:

I agree, my car seems a bit faster and all in all better at night. Think about it, in the daytime if you focus as far ahead as you can see it seems like your not moving, vs focusing 2 ft in front of your car, it seems like your flying. I think in the dark you can't see much further than your headlights and your vision is focused closer to the car so it makes everything go by faster. Also I heard ideal temps for a car to run are something like 55-65 and humidity is lower so maybe a combo of all this perhaps.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeha haha at night my car seem nicer and in the rain also. Cooler better.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99GreenEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">guess where the dew on your lawn came from... the air, air gets colder and it holds less humidity then falls to the ground... learned this in 9th grade science...</TD></TR></TABLE>

air is air, humidity is humidity. humidity refers to the amount of water vapor in the air. at night time the water vapor in the air is greater. one of the reasons being...THERE IS NO SUN TO BURN OFF THE WATER VAPOR AT NIGHT, thus creating wetter air at night.

so why don't you take your books you got in 9th grade and beat yourself senseless with them, but i think someone might've beaten you to it . your posts seems to get dumber and dumber as the days go on.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (civicjoe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicjoe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree, my car seems a bit faster and all in all better at night. Think about it, in the daytime if you focus as far ahead as you can see it seems like your not moving, vs focusing 2 ft in front of your car, it seems like your flying. I think in the dark you can't see much further than your headlights and your vision is focused closer to the car so it makes everything go by faster. Also I heard ideal temps for a car to run are something like 55-65 and humidity is lower so maybe a combo of all this perhaps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's a better response, some insight and reasoning behind it. that's why in my OP i said something about it being in your head, this is what i was thinking about just could not formulate the words.

found this bit of info as well from racingarticles.com

"When the temperature goes up, the air density decreases, thus you have less air available for combustion and your air fuel ratio becomes richer. The same works in reverse. As the temperature goes down, you end up with more air per cubic foot..."

this info has already been covered in other threads but i found it relative to this topic.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:49 PM

Default Re: (obuhmyuh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by obuhmyuh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

air is air, humidity is humidity. humidity refers to the amount of water vapor in the air. at night time the water vapor in the air is greater. one of the reasons being...THERE IS NO SUN TO BURN OFF THE WATER VAPOR AT NIGHT, thus creating wetter air at night.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed, at first I thought that it was the opposite, as the air cools you are going to have more water per volume of air. When you reach the saturation limit then the water comes out of the air on objects and this is the dew. Therefore the closer you are to the dewpoint the more humid the air would would be because it is nearing the saturation limit. I'm pretty sure this is right but if not someone correct me.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicjoe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicjoe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

agreed, at first I thought that it was the opposite, as the air cools you are going to have more water per volume of air. When you reach the saturation limit then the water comes out of the air on objects and this is the dew. Therefore the closer you are to the dewpoint the more humid the air would would be because it is nearing the saturation limit. I'm pretty sure this is right but if not someone correct me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha i like how we turned this tech thread into a science experiment
Old 03-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cooler air wth less moisture well help your car run smoother and more efficent but not enought to notice on a na motor