Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Newbie With Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie With Some Questions

Hello HT, Im Not A Newbie When It Coming To Honda's Or Acura's But I Dont Know That Much When Its Coming To Motor Swap

Ok I Got A 00 EM1

And Im Going To Dump A JDM 97 Spec B18C-R Swap Into It. Im Buying The Motor Within Two Weeks And Soon Im Going To Take Out The EM1 Engine

Here My Question
1. Im Buying Everything Except The Tranny. I Can Used My Em1 Tranny?
2. I Can Use My Em1 Harness?
3. Is There A DYI Guide Around Here?
4. What Will I Need To Change Other Than The Motor Istelf?
5. Everything Else Will Direct Bolt One?
6. And Any Other Tip You Can Give Me
Old 12-17-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Newbie With Some Questions (cuonglogan)

1. You can use your transmission, but the ITR transmission has shorter gearing than your current trans.

2. All depends on who you are buying the motor from.

3. There are numerous threads on this site that show step by step motor swaps. Use the "Search" button ... I do all of the time and it typically comes out favorably.

4. Everything should bolt up, from the transmission, to the motor mounts and ECU will work. I'd get the Type R ECU personally, but that is just me.

5. Same as number 4.

6. Honestly, do you have your heart set on that particular motor?

Go turbo on your current motor

GL with whatever you do man.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Newbie With Some Questions (Del Sex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del Sex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. You can use your transmission, but the ITR transmission has shorter gearing than your current trans.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong, a USDM ITR/96 spec ITR tranny has the same gearing as the B16 tranny. Only difference is that the ITR tranny has LSD.

1. Yes, you can same gearing as the ITR, minus LSD.
2. Yes, you can for the most part.
3. Of course there is.
4. The ECU. Can't use the same exhaust manifold.
5. You can use your stock mounts.
6. Take your time, make sure you have everything ready to go during installs.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del Sex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. You can use your transmission, but the ITR transmission has shorter gearing than your current trans.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The B16A trans actually has lower gearing. 1st to 3rd are the same. 4th and 5th are higher on the ITR's trans. The ITR trans does come with a much needed LSD. You sure you dont want the trans?

The C5 will bolt in. Use your original mounts and brackets. You have to swap out the bracket that bolts onto the driver's side upper mount. It is located on the engine. The timing belt wraps around it. You have to take off the valve cover, and the timing belt cover to unbolt it.

You can use your original wiring harness.

96-00 civic harnesses come out of the car completely. It's very nice. Take out the battery and battery tray. There will be a rubber boot with 2 10mm nuts underneath where the battery tray was. Take off the bolts, undo the boot from the firewall. Unplug all connectors from the ECU. Unplug the green plug that goes to the dash harness.

You will need an OBD2B to OBD2A conversion harness for the 97 ITR ECU to plug in.

You should spend the extra skrilla (around $500ish?) to get the newer, much nicer 98+ spec JDM ITR engine.

It's a very easy, straight forward swap. It's all nuts and bolts since your car is allready wired for VTEC and knock and has the correct EACV.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cuonglogan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hello HT, Im Not A Newbie When It Coming To Honda's Or Acura's But I Dont Know That Much When Its Coming To Motor Swap

Ok I Got A 00 EM1

And Im Going To Dump A JDM 97 Spec B18C-R Swap Into It. Im Buying The Motor Within Two Weeks And Soon Im Going To Take Out The EM1 Engine

Here My Question
1. Im Buying Everything Except The Tranny. I Can Used My Em1 Tranny?
2. I Can Use My Em1 Harness?
3. Is There A DYI Guide Around Here?
4. What Will I Need To Change Other Than The Motor Istelf?
5. Everything Else Will Direct Bolt One?
6. And Any Other Tip You Can Give Me</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. yep sure can.
2. yes
3. idk but search h-t and you will find all you need. it should be pretty easy...take your motor out and put the new one in. plug everything back up...and change your ecu if your gettin that too. should be easy.
4. i would go ahead and change the clutch just because your right there to it...unless yours is like brand new.
5.yup sure will
6. enjoy that power and build the b16a2 in the mean time. then once built, boost it and put it back in and sell the b18c5 to get some of your money back. lol good luck man.

2. All depends on who you are buying the motor from.

3. There are numerous threads on this site that show step by step motor swaps. Use the "Search" button ... I do all of the time and it typically comes out favorably.

4. Everything should bolt up, from the transmission, to the motor mounts and ECU will work. I'd get the Type R ECU personally, but that is just me.

5. Same as number 4.

6. Honestly, do you have your heart set on that particular motor?

Go turbo on your current motor

GL with whatever you do man. </TD></TR></TABLE>

he has 204 posts...im sure he knows where the search button is. lol
Old 12-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie With Some Questions (slo_hatch)

thanks for the input guys . yep im defently going type r. yes im going to buy the ecu that is from the same motor that i am buying. ill take pics of the buildup
Old 12-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your sure on what your doing do it but dont rush into anything with out researching all possible routes on how to get to where you wanna be.

Ill answer those question best to my ability

1. Tranny will line up and work fine but like Del Sex said R trans are better and have lsd.

2.Yes you can use your current wire harness you "might" have to extend a sensor or 2 but not more than that.

3.plenty of DIY guides, all over H-T, also go on http://www.ff-squad.com for tons of wiring info.

4. you DONT need a type R ecu but it would run a lot better with one and if you do order one try to get one from 99 and up so you dont need a jumper harness just plug n play. OBD2B is what your looking for.

5.Mounts' You'll need to use the back mount from your b16 or you stock motor. and also youll need to use the driver side bracket that holds the motor mount. Hard to explain look the swap up youll find it.

6. Tips.....take your time, print everything you need. get fimiliar with the sensors + locations. READ about everything. let us known how you did
Old 12-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie With Some Questions (JDM Roc)

well looks like there plenty of info already lol HT= awsome
Old 12-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cuonglogan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the input guys . yep im defently going type r. yes im going to buy the ecu that is from the same motor that i am buying. ill take pics of the buildup</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah man make a swap thread. and good luck just take your time and make sure you get all the **** the way it was meant. lol

btw...your si is clean. looks good.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie With Some Questions (slo_hatch)

thanks again. im glad i posted it here. over there at type r only forums. they will just talk ****
Old 12-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cuonglogan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks again. im glad i posted it here. over there at type r only forums. they will just talk ****</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes they will, unless you have a R specific question.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe they think they are better than everyone else. lol cuz they have itr's...but hey i probably would too!! there are ******** everywhere!! lol