Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Newbie Question / Recommendations: 99 Automatic EK Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question / Recommendations: 99 Automatic EK Engine Swap

Hey guys.

i used to have a 92 civic hatchy with a B18C. I fell in love with that car because it was an <U>everyday driver </U>and it scared the **** out of my passengers because it was <U>powerful</U>.
( I had to sell it by the way because of financial issues )

Anyway....now I have a stock 99 ek 2 door AUTOMATIC ...and the only noticable mod I have is a cold air intake. Im looking to do an Engine Swap, but I don't want headaches and to spend some unreasonableamount of cash. Im not looking to hit the track. But I miss what I had and everyday driver with *****. Also I want to keep my car Automatic. Is it worth it?

Any suggestions or helpfull info for me to look into, previous experiences.
Also if you guys have SHOP recommendations in the SoCal area

Thanks ahead of time for any responses
Old 10-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not worth it. Deal with the smoothness and sloth of your new car and put a nice sound system in it.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Newbie Question / Recommendations: 99 Automatic EK Engine Swap (NY_2_OC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NY_2_OC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys.

i used to have a 92 civic hatchy with a B18C. I fell in love with that car because it was an <U>everyday driver </U>and it scared the **** out of my passengers because it was <U>powerful</U>.
( I had to sell it by the way because of financial issues )

Anyway....now I have a stock 99 ek 2 door AUTOMATIC ...and the only noticable mod I have is a cold air intake. Im looking to do an Engine Swap, but I don't want headaches and to spend some unreasonableamount of cash. Im not looking to hit the track. But I miss what I had and everyday driver with *****. Also I want to keep my car Automatic. Is it worth it?

Any suggestions or helpfull info for me to look into, previous experiences.
Also if you guys have SHOP recommendations in the SoCal area

Thanks ahead of time for any responses
</TD></TR></TABLE>

IMO, it's not worth the auto. but if you are dead serious about keeping a auto tranny, you can always go D16 turbo, or LS turbo. but i would just to a auto to manual swap. it's not hard at all, i've done a couple of time already.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Newbie Question / Recommendations: 99 Automatic EK Engine Swap (NY_2_OC)

What do you gives recommend if I do MANUAL Trans?
Since AUTO isn't really worth it
Old 10-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (Archidictus)

As I just posted in another topic regarding B series auto swaps into an EK chassis:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Me and I know What's Up y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">***NEWSFLASH***

An automatic B series transmission is physically much larger than the Civic auto or even a B series manual tranny, and it will require CUTTING AND WELDING to make it fit into an EK engine bay!!!

You will need to custom fab topside and rear tranmission mounts/brackets, cut away material from the passenger side framerail to make clearance for the trans. bell housing (shitty to have to do and bordeline not safe) and worst of all, the electronics is a fuucking nightmare. There will be transmission codes no matter which ECU you try and use.

Besides the typical "autos suck ***" replies I've actually got technical reasons why this swap is shitty to do.

Do a 5-speed B series or keep it D series and boost it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So ummm, yeah.