Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Newbie Problem About My Car

Old 10-14-2007, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Problem About My Car

i got a 95 civic dx, stock motor, stock everything... the crank pulley fell off the car like a month ago, since then i never turn on the car as i moved away and the car is still at my mom's house. the car used to turn on every once in a while that i came by ( ex. weekends ) but now when i tried to turn the car on again it won't start. it is passing energy so it cant be that the battery is messed up or that it has no charge cuz it does.

Why wont my car start ? if i did before without the crank pulley ? and the crank pulley keeps falling off when i put it on, it only lasts a month before it falls off so thats why i haven't putted it back on yet... is this a common problem
what could i do to solve this ?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie Problem About My Car (domct88)

Your pulley falls off? Yeah that is not good, and probably not a good idea to run it without a pulley either. Not really sure what "it is passing energy" means.

Tell us what it does when you try and start it and we could probably help you. Does it not turn over at all, or does it turn over?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Newbie Problem About My Car (kuja396)

um the car doesn's turns on at all...it used to turn on before but now it doesnt for some reason i dont know. i was told that the crank pulley job was to give energy to the alternator so that the car doesnt get all the energy straight from the battery saving more battery as of doing that.

thats why i said that it is passing energy like, the batter is not death or nothing so the car didnt ate the battery.. thats what it meant, what could of have happened to the car if i turned it on before without the pulley
Old 10-14-2007, 07:48 AM

have u checked all fuses ,and ur car def wont start without the alt so put that on and your crank pulley it problay keeps falling off cuz its not tight enough it has to b in gear and u gotta crank on that bizz make sure your starter didnt crap out while its been sittin ?? basic things man its problay somthin stupid
Old 10-14-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Newbie Problem About My Car (civicstoner)

alrite ill check on that, is it possible to put the crank pulley back in without the need of a compressor ? or do i rlly need a compressor ?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll help you out buddy.

If your crank pully fell off then that means the person before you who touch it did not torque it on at all. Your going to need a torque wrench. lucky for you ive got a civic factory service manuel i'll just tell you what the torque spec for the crank pully bolt is. I found it, its 134 lb-ft. Before you torque it down, put a few drops of oil to lubricate the threads. Use the shortest extentsion as humanly possibly when you do torque the bolt down. Most extentsions will soak up the rotational force so to speak.

The problem to me sounds like you ran the car too long without and alternator belt hooked up and you drained the battery. Try hooking up some cables from your battery to another cars battery and starting it that way.

A cars battery is only really there to start the car, the alternator provides current for the car powered off the engines acsessory belts . . . which you don't have hooked up or torqued down.

Yes its nessicary to torque down the crank shaft bolt.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Newbie Problem About My Car (95vxtealhatch)

geez.. thats gonna be a problem cuz i dont got an compressor as to torque it down to that amount ... :x is there any good like small compressors around in the market that i could buy that wont take too much space on my house but would do any job necessary in my car ? i dont mind paying any price but i want something really good so that i dont have to be like this again. and thanks a lot man i really really appreciate your help.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Newbie Problem About My Car (95vxtealhatch)

How Many PSI Or HP do i need in order to get this amount of torque from the compressor ? im looking towards buying one as im going to need it anyways to paint the car later on...